New OReilly Syntec 3 Gallon Boxes

Went into my local Oreilly’s today to grab some car parts for one of my customers, went by the oil isle and looks like they are rolling out some of these new Syntec oils in a box format. Kind of like Havoline or Valvoline garage box. I’m a big fan of Syntec so I’m very excited about this. The pricing at my local OReillys was $75 for 3 Gallons of oil (12 quarts) which is about $6.25 a quart. Commercial accounts can buy the box at $70 for 3 gallons which comes out to $5.84 / quart. I included some pictures, what are your guys thoughts on this?

Pic 1
Pic 2

I agree. Even Walmart's higher end branded 5 qt jugs are around $29.99 per 5qt, which is $6/qt. Supertech, QS, even Pennzoil are typically $26.50 or less, which beats the commercial account price.

I can get a 5qt jug of Quaker State Full Synthetic High Mileage D1G3 from Walmart for $21.10. That come out to $63.30 + tax for 15qts. It ships to the house for free. The Syntec from O’Reilly’s doesn’t seem that good of a deal to me.

Who even makes this oil for O’Reilly’s?

Remember Castrol Syntec?

Castrol stopped using Syntec when Edge appeared, but to protect the branding I'd assume, they started making oil and labeling it Syntec for O'Reilly's.

To the OP, if someone prefers going to O'Reilly's seems like a decent deal on very good oil and is greener. I have other products I'm loyal to though.

I do remember Syntec but I didn’t assume that Castrol was still using that formula and repackaging it for them. I just figured they had scooped up the name once Castrol was done with it.

Remember Castrol Syntec?

Castrol stopped using Syntec when Edge appeared, but to protect the branding I'd assume, they started making oil and labeling it Syntec for O'Reilly's.

To the OP, if someone prefers going to O'Reilly's seems like a decent deal on very good oil and is greener. I have other products I'm loyal to though.
Quite the imagination?

Went into my local Oreilly’s today to grab some car parts for one of my customers, went by the oil isle and looks like they are rolling out some of these new Syntec oils in a box format. Kind of like Havoline or Valvoline garage box. I’m a big fan of Syntec so I’m very excited about this. The pricing at my local OReillys was $75 for 3 Gallons of oil (12 quarts) which is about $6.25 a quart. Commercial accounts can buy the box at $70 for 3 gallons which comes out to $5.84 / quart. I included some pictures, what are your guys thoughts on this?

Pic 1
Pic 2
is it Castrol?

Previous road to Shreveport

I do remember Syntec but I didn’t assume that Castrol was still using that formula and repackaging it for them. I just figured they had scooped up the name once Castrol was done with it.
Castrol should have kept the name syntec. Edge is lame and what does Edge have to do with oil? I don’t understand their marketing. Unlike Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has always been Exxon Mobil synthetic since day 1

Quite the imagination?

I didn't mean it was the same formula. Just the "Syntec" name.

However some other BOTIG threads points to license numbers for the dexos on Oreilly's Syntec being BP's):

I'm not certain why BP/Castrol wanted to drop Syntec. I guess their marketing team wanted to move on. I liked the name cause I grew up with ads for it.

I find it hard to believe BP would give up rights to the name permanently. I think they're still involved in the formula based on the dexos license numbers. Omni manufacturing it, doesn't mean it isn't BP's formula? IDK.

Last edited:
I was happy to see Syntec depart. In the several years I used it on four vehicles, they all produced varnish.
Although it's not harmful (especially short OCIs I do), I found it to be an annoyance.

Afterwards, I went to Pennzoil and all that varnish disappeared in a couple more OCIs of Pennzoil.
After a decade or-so of Pennzoil, I moved to Valvoline.

My off-again / on again relationship with Castrol has re-healed. Edge EP / Euro formulas don't display varnish and my wife's Kia engine is quieter with Castrol than 0w Amsoil Euro

I'll buy a dfferent Amsoil next time....likely 10w S.S. But I'll never buy any 0w oils again for these Korean makes we have.
That experiment was a failure. My two Korean engines perform best on a 50-50 blend of 10w30 and 5w40. My southern-most Michigan winter climate does fine with it.

Last edited:
Back