New old stock AGM

from Auto Zone.
Communicate nice. Try to get a manager first time 'round.

Sis killed her 36 month AZ battery on Month #35. I luckily got the manager on a Saturday morning.
The warranty satisfaction was immediate and involved near zero words.
You're not in the same situation but.....good luck if you go that route.

Well I called a nearby NAPA and they have one dated November 2022. Should I just get that or just order direct from Odyssey and hope for the best?

Well I called a nearby NAPA and they have one dated November 2022. Should I just get that or just order direct from Odyssey and hope for the best?
If there is a Batteries Plus store near you, they sell Odyssey. They also have their X2 Power battery which I believe is still the same TPPL construction as the Odyssey, and comes out of the same factory.
Don't "hope for the best". Buy the battery in person. Check the voltage before you buy it. Check the date code.

Update:

Spoke over the phone with Odyssey tech this morning. They asked me to exchange the battery without a question. AutoZone store nearby had one with no MFG date so they went ahead and ordered one from their vendor/ distributor instead. Should arrive this Tuesday. Store manager agreed to exchange it or refund me 100%. A nearby NAPA has one with a November 2022 date. So it will prob be my backup plan. 1.2 years doesn’t sound as bad as 3.5 years😂. It would technically fall under Odyssey 2 year shelf life recommendation.

Replaced my factory battery on my 21 Subaru Outback with an Odyssey group 47 AGM from Auto Zone. After running it for a day I just noticed a “August 2020” manufacturing code.
Close to 3.5 years old. Odyssey website recommends a shelf life of roughly 2 years before reaching 50% charge and needing a top off. Should I return the battery? It was the only one in stock and full of thick dust. I highly doubt it was maintained in the store. Anyways the battery started my Subaru flawlessly when installed. I’ll probably email the manufacturer too.

View attachment 201103
No that’s big money I’d return it

Glad to hear they are taking care of you.

I am on year 7 of an Odyssey group 65 in my daily driver. Yes they are expensive but the double lifespan makes it cost about the same as the 3 year lead acid batteries. Plus I hate when a lead acid batteries leaks and ruin things in the engine bay.

Yet, it appears they did...
I guess so. Interesting. It’s probably because they’re priced like 50-100% higher than the market. How much is customer service, how much is because of the concerns about a future warranty claim, etc?

I guess it isn’t best practice to keep them that long (we more or less know this), but apparently they don’t recall the old ones…

With plain flooded batteries the area handling the batteries should pull the batteries when they are over 6 months old and return them. That's the normal policy.

Unsure what they do about Odyssey batteries. Two years seems old.

I would return. Ask them to order a new one. Tell them the date code was so covered with dust that you did not see it.

Glad to hear they are taking care of you.

I am on year 7 of an Odyssey group 65 in my daily driver. Yes they are expensive but the double lifespan makes it cost about the same as the 3 year lead acid batteries. Plus I hate when a lead acid batteries leaks and ruin things in the engine bay.
I have two group 65 AGM batteries in my pickup. They need to be the same type of battery. Quite often replaced as a pair. A pair of Walmart AGMs was expensive enough. A pair of Odyssey AGM would be crazy expensive.

I have two group 65 AGM batteries in my pickup. They need to be the same type of battery. Quite often replaced as a pair. A pair of Walmart AGMs was expensive enough. A pair of Odyssey AGM would be crazy expensive.
Yeah understandable you're definitely not wrong. I try to justify it to myself that I do all my own car repairs so I can get the nicer parts/tires/batteries etc. Buying 2 though would definitely hurt the wallet. I also try to justify it to myself that the Odyssey batteries are manufactured in the USA and if I can choose with my wallet to possibly help someone keeping a job here by making the purchase it helps me buck up for it. I have worked for a USA manufacturer for 20+ years and I try to pay it forward to others who do as well.

Yeah understandable you're definitely not wrong. I try to justify it to myself that I do all my own car repairs so I can get the nicer parts/tires/batteries etc. Buying 2 though would definitely hurt the wallet. I also try to justify it to myself that the Odyssey batteries are manufactured in the USA and if I can choose with my wallet to possibly help someone keeping a job here by making the purchase it helps me buck up for it. I have worked for a USA manufacturer for 20+ years and I try to pay it forward to others who do as well.
I believe East Penn AGM batteries are also manufactured in the USA. Around my area in DE, Walmart AGM and NAPA AGM are both East Penn.

The question is how much better is a Odyssey than a flat plate AGM?

Replaced my wife’s Nissan Sentra oe battery with the O’Reilly superstart platinum AGM battery with military and rebate paid around $220. We couldn’t be happier

Replaced my wife’s Nissan Sentra oe battery with the O’Reilly superstart platinum AGM battery with military and rebate paid around $220. We couldn’t be happier
Hopefully it stays good. The construction company was getting batteries from battery mart and they were giving trouble so I started getting them from orileys.

For some reason the orileys batteries were worse! Very few lasted 6 months.

Back