New Oil From Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
a lot of WRX owners are running this because it's an SM "5W-30".

ESP 5w-30 is not officially API SM certified. XOM only says that it meets requirements of API SM. Not sure if the difference matters much though.

gpshumway picked some up in Canada that was labeled as Resource Conserving.
grin2.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
ESP stands for Emission System Protection. Sounds like you're a perfect candidate. You should be able to find ESP 5W-30 on the shelf somewhere. Try it and report back.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
I'm just looking hard for a good oil that will cure or reduce oil consumption or at least prolong the life of the cat.

I'm thinking I will give it a shot. Now I just need to find it. Any suggestions? We've got Autozone, Napa, Advance Auto, and O'Reilly's in our area. I have no clue if any of them carry it. I'd be equally fine with the 5w/40, if I found it and couldn't find the 5w/30.

Looks like O'Reilly and Advance Auto have the ESP 5w30 in stock. I'll be picking it up for the next oil change, which will be about 3k miles away.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I think this oil will be a great stay-in-grade and year-round alternative to using a high mileage oil in older engines calling for a 30-grade oil. Having said that, I'd be more inclined to use Amsoil's excellent HDD 5W-30 before X1.

I would think it would be an expensive alternative to a HM oil, with low phosphorous and TN to boot.
wink.gif

IndyFan: With the low phosphorous, it might be worth a try, but as I've mentioned before, I don't much like putting expensive synthetic in an oil burner.

bluesubie: Yes, I saw that on the shelf up here, too, with the Donut and all on that 5w-30 Euro stuff, and was surprised, too.

RogerBacon: It's not nearly the same as the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30. The specifications are significantly different, and the Delvac Elite will have higher phosphorous numbers. Also, I bet the Delvac Elite will be significantly cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Oil Changer said:
IndyFan: With the low phosphorous, it might be worth a try, but as I've mentioned before, I don't much like putting expensive synthetic in an oil burner.

I don't disagree. Basically, it is for my own entertainment. I just LOVE my Jeep and it simply makes me feel good to perceive having the best oil possible in it. That's the real reason. I blow more money than that on other stupid stuff, anyway, so the feeling is worth the cost. If it prolongs the cat and saves me a few bucks down the road, then it might be worth it. There's no way to really tell, however, except to hope and to see if it outlasts the first one. The new cat is only 10k old, so I don't think I've gunked it up much yet.

Making it worse is that I'm limited an OCI of 6k miles, due to the lifetime power train warranty. I'd run EP or this stuff out to 12 or even 15k, if not for that. Heck, at 12k, it will have used enough oil to constitute a full change! I wouldn't bother at that point, except for the filter! LOL!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Too bad they can't fix the consumption on the lifetime powertrain warranty.
wink.gif
In any event, if that requires your OCIs to be lower, so be it.

They say they will if it gets equal to or greater than 1 qt. per 1k miles. If I get close, I'll have them do a consumption test. I'd really prefer not to have them open my engine up like that. It is trouble free and runs great as it is. While 6k is shorter than I'd like, it is still better than 3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back