new Nokian WRG2's installed last Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the wife's car in to have new Nokian WR's installed, and the shop said the warehouse could not supply WR's anymore as they've been discontinued. However, they could get the new WRG2 at the same price (which is almost hurting high). I went ahead with the G2's and after a weekend of driving her around shopping and shopping, can pronounce that these are one smooth tire. They are quiet and responsive. I want it to snow so I can borrow her car and try them out.

I have the Haka's RSI which I love to death in the snow, I havent driven on a better snow tire yet. I have the Nokian Z's for the Summer, they're ok, the grip,tread wear is excellent, but they are quite noisey. I think a belt may have let go though.

How much snow do you get in Minneapolis ? any reason to go with an all season over a pure winter ?

Haka RSI. Sweet but isn't it going to wear really fast on dry roads.

I have a set of Haka 5 SUV for my X5. Debated between the Haka 5 and Vredestrian WindTracs

I have done the same thing Lyle has done, I now run my WRs as a snow tire due to the amount of miles my wife puts on her tires driving to and from work. About half highway and half country roads. I think the WR is exceptional on snow and pretty good on hard pack and ice as well. If she is not comfortable driving in conditions with her WRs I tell her she should just turn around and head home or grab a hotel where she works if she is leaving from there.

Originally Posted By: chefwong
Haka RSI. Sweet but isn't it going to wear really fast on dry roads.

I have a set of Haka 5 SUV for my X5. Debated between the Haka 5 and Vredestrian WindTracs

I have had the RSI's for 2 winters now. Tires have seen approx 20,000 km's (16,000 miles). I have gone down from 8 tread number to 6. So that 2 mm. I have down to 2 mm before I have to replace them. So 1 mm a year on mostly dry roads is exceptional.

Really, an all season will wear more as when the temp gets below 7 C, they are harder, and when it gets below -20C they are useless and rock hard.

I was just curious, as Michigan is basically on the same level as Ottawa, and I would presume very similiar winters.

I just got Nokian WR G2s installed on my 04 Accord last week, for winter tires. Haven't had any snow to try them in yet (maybe tomorrow), but I am very impressed with the dry pavement ride. Very quiet and good handling. The dry pavement handling is not quite as good as my summer tires, but very respectable for a snow rated tire.

Maybe the tires are different down in the states. But the WR g2s are an all season tire. By no means would I call them a snow tire. Below 7 C ( 40 F ) all seasons lose almost all there "snow " capabilities. Not trying to start an argument, I am sure they are great tires, I just dont think they should have a snow rating on them.

Saab9-3,

It's just Nokian's marketing tactics. In North America, they are marketed as all-season/all-weather. In Europe the same Nokian tires are sold as winter tires.

My g/f had the WRs on her Jetta in Wisconsin and in the white stuff they were better than my winter Michelin Pilot Alpins. So, if WRs are all-seasons, they sure are better in snow than many dedicated winter tires. And yes, you can run them through the summer, it's just that they'll wear out quicker. So, in that respect, again they behave like a typical winter tire.

I think I called them a "winter tire", not a "snow tire". WRs are an all season tire with a snow rating.

What is it about the rating system that you disagree with? If it is just that there are better tires for full time snow conditions, I agree, and so does Nokian. My understanding is that the snow rating means they crossed the threshold in some kind of test. I don't think it means they have the best snow traction of all tires.

For my conditions, in which I drive on dry pavement 95% of the time in the winter, live on a little street that often does not get plowed until after most of the other roads are done, get caught in an occasional snowstorm, take maybe one trip into the mountains in the winter each year, and rarely drive in extreme cold, the WRs fit my needs extremely well. Further north, they may not be the best choice for the winter.

Fair enough, I didnt realise that nokian marketed them as a winter in Europe (which suprises me, since they have stricter tire laws over there). Regardless, both of you guys seem to love these tires which is great, it must be a really good all season. My experience with all seasons (from goodyear/michelin etc) have been pretty poor in the snow. Maybe Ill give these WRs a look for the Gf car.

If you are in need of a tire that will handle light snow duty and still provide a solid and quiet dry/wet pavement ride you should consider the WR. They are not, as you pointed out, what you would choose as a serious full time snow tire.

Agree with DaveL. I run as a snow tire, they are not a snow tire but are snowflake and moutain rated for severe weather, and perform admirably in most winter situations when one may be out and about.

Iam just set in my ways when I hear all season tires. When I think of all season, I think of a tire that is primarily for summer/rain, and that can give you mild traction in the snow. And from the all seasons I have tried in the winter, they have stood up to my previous comments. I just like to know at -10 to -30 whether I am in 1 ft of snow or on dry pavement, my tires will hold up under these conditions (not to say the WR's cant, ).

Yeah, think of the WR as a very unusual all-season tire because it is really great it the white stuff and in low temps. Tested them in 1/2 ft of snow, tested them at -15C on dry pavement... no complaints.

I really don't understand why Nokian tries to push them as all-seasons. I mean, they're OK in high temps, but wear out quite fast then. Maybe Nokian wants to reach more American customers - those who believe in all-season tires and who don't want to hear about two sets of tires/rims.

In Europe, all-seasons seem to be a niche product. Most people believe in the benefits of having two dedicated sets of tires, and the all-season offering is kept in low regard. The selection of all-season tires is also rather limited. So it makes sense that in such a market Nokian positions the WR in the winter category.

Last edited:
I see the same thing up here in Canada, that most people think all seasons are all they need for our winters. I think the difference between Europe and NA, is education and stiffer laws regarding tires. Though I am starting to see more and mroe people with winter tires. I work for Emergency services and when I come to a car wreck, or a car in the ditch, the car typically has all seasons on them(cant rule out [censored] drivers though). All our vehicles and allied agencies all have dedicated winter tires on their cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, think of the WR as a very unusual all-season tire because it is really great it the white stuff and in low temps. Tested them in 1/2 ft of snow, tested them at -15C on dry pavement... no complaints.

I really don't understand why Nokian tries to push them as all-seasons. I mean, they're OK in high temps, but wear out quite fast then. Maybe Nokian wants to reach more American customers - those who believe in all-season tires and who don't want to hear about two sets of tires/rims.

In Europe, all-seasons seem to be a niche product. Most people believe in the benefits of having two dedicated sets of tires, and the all-season offering is kept in low regard. The selection of all-season tires is also rather limited. So it makes sense that in such a market Nokian positions the WR in the winter category.

The WR is Nokian's only all-season tire. There website is confusing but essentially a template. They place the Nokian WR in the Summer tires section and Winter tires section.

I read the literature they state its for Central Europe's varying conditions.

They do not wear any quicker in the summer vs winter. I have owned three sets of Nokian WR's. My wife and I with Civic's and a WRX got 40-50k out of each set. Anything beyond 40k for a tire is great for me.

The Nokian WR's leave a bit to be desired in the dry and warm IMHO(H rated ones) however are incredible in wet,slush and winter slop. They are not quite true winter tires but great our Seacoast NH weather.

I am hoping the Nokian WR G2's alleviate the dry factor as I plan on getting a set for my wife's Legacy GT wagon soon for year round. She is a mellow driver and probably won't notice as she is satisfied with the underwhelming OEM RE92's except in winter conditions.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The WR is Nokian's only all-season tire. There website is confusing but essentially a template. They place the Nokian WR in the Summer tires section and Winter tires section.

Right, but on their European website they're listed in the winter section only:
http://www.nokiantyres.com

Quote:

They do not wear any quicker in the summer vs winter. I have owned three sets of Nokian WR's. My wife and I with Civic's and a WRX got 40-50k out of each set. Anything beyond 40k for a tire is great for me.

My experience was different. We had them on a Jetta. While the car was operated in Wisconsin, the wear was OK. As soon as the car got moved to Texas, the wear has accelerated. They lasted 30k miles total, and the primary driver is very mellow.

I have the WRs on my wife's car (V70), and as mentioned earlier, just got the WR G2's on my Accord (both as winter tires in the Boston area). While I can't rule out the influence of the differences in the cars (the Accord handles much more crisply than the V70), the G2s seem to be better on dry pavement than the original WRs. Have had only a small test for the G2s in snow, and they seemed to handle the very wet, almost slushy, snow we got in Boston Monday of this week very well.

i've had wrs on the last two cars. they are an excellent compromise tire, especially when conditions may change rapidly. they aren't quite as good as a real snow tire, maybe 75% or so. when i had them on my impreza with some suspension mods, they were a bit soft in hard cornering, but predictable. they work very well for the softer suspension on my outback.

as i drove to work the past week, i was able to go 55 or so on hard pack and powder, and overtake some people with a minimal amount of drama.

Thanks for the reviews everyone!
banana2.gif
I had the WR G2's installed today. This is my first tire for winter that's not an regular all-season and today I had the perfect conditions to try them in.

In central NJ, we had a mix of sleet, freezing rain, rain and snow. The tires were perfect in the slush! I might put these on my wife's Outback as year 'round tires (depending how they are in the dry) since she drives easier than I do. I have 17's for summer and put these on my Forester's OEM 16's.

01.gif

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back