New Nissan with 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have plenty of 5W20 Penzoil on sale from Home Depot which I bought for my Honda. Shall I use it on my new Nissan Altima ? It called for 5W30 in the manual.

Thanks

Quality Dino 5W-30 for 5000 mi or 6 months.

Quality Synthetic 5W-30 for 7500 mi or 6 months (Warranty Max)

In my case it would likely be Pennzoil (WalMart) or Havoline (Fred's) for Dino and Pennzoil Platinum (Walmart) for Synthetic.

Didn't some of these engines have an oil consumption problem? I'd run what the manual says to run in it. After the warranty is out, if you feel like playing around with the viscosity, go ahead...might be good to have some UOA's to compare your new viscosity oil to the one stated in the manual.

Quote:

Didn't some of these engines have an oil consumption problem? I'd run what the manual says to run in it. After the warranty is out, if you feel like playing around with the viscosity, go ahead...might be good to have some UOA's to compare your new viscosity oil to the one stated in the manual.

I haven't had any oil consumptions issues thus far with the '02 2.5L. It is out of warranty, so yeah, I am playing around with it using Mobil1 0w-20 for the winter fill. The last UOA I had done on it with PP 5w-20 was pretty good with a 2700 mile sample. The motor has over 45000 on it.

After 500 miles on the '06 1.8L Sentra I dumped the factory fill and ran Havoline 5w-20 for about 1000 miles. The winter fill is PP 5w-20 with a 3 1/2 quart capacity thanks to the Purolator filter L14619. I should do a UOA this spring out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back