New NGK Ruthenium spark plug - Anyone use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw these new NGK Ruthenium spark plugs and was curious if anyone has used them yet? If so what any difference - smoother idle or anything.

Do you know where these can be purchased? Saw some on Rockauto and they were gone the next day.

I would think you would not see any difference in performance, just longevity. Iridiums are usually good for 100,000 miles. I expect Ruthenium will exceed that. This is for folks who never want to do their plugs again, while they still own the vehicle. The definitive answer will be out in about 5 to 10 years. The 30,000 mile copper plug guys need not apply.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
The definitive answer will be out in about 5 to 10 years.

Dang! I hope to still be around for that answer, but the odds are moving in the wrong direction!
lol.gif

I haven't, but I consider them a must in cars where it's hard to change the spark plugs on. I am smart enough now to avoid buying cars like that, but if I ever do for some reason, it's getting ruthenium!

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I haven't, but I consider them a must in cars where it's hard to change the spark plugs on. I am smart enough now to avoid buying cars like that, but if I ever do for some reason, it's getting ruthenium!
Hard to avoid now, with how common transverse V6 engines are, and how most engines have gone to a DOHC configuration.

The plugs in our V6 Kia took me 4 hours. In the inline-4 Mazda they took 20 minutes.

Originally Posted by Number_35
Hard to avoid now, with how common transverse V6 engines are, and how most engines have gone to a DOHC configuration.

The plugs in our V6 Kia took me 4 hours. In the inline-4 Mazda they took 20 minutes.

I have that transverse 3.9L v6 Kia engine where the plenum has to come off. I've gotten it down to about 2hrs to take off and put back on. I've had to do it a couple times once to replace the plugs (ngk ix iridium) and coil packs (OE Hyundai/Denso) and another couple times to fix a vacuum leak because the plenum gasket didn't seat. Oh, I also pulled the fuel rail and cleaned each FI with Gumout. I thought about sending them in for ultrasonic cleaning but the Gumout treatment worked great. I bench tested each one before putting them back in with all new rings. I also put in a new O2 sensor on that rear bank 1 (keeping the old one as a backup), so in theory I shouldn't have to take that thing off for at least another 5yrs.. we'll see. One thing I would advise anyone is be careful torquing those plenum bolts, I found out the hard way that they break easily and had to have one drilled out by a friend

I will admit that the first time taking it off and putting it all back together took me close to 4hrs like you mentioned.

Last edited:
Sound interesting but car guys/gals are also into chasing new fads. I will trust these new plugs when I see some customers with 100,000+ miles on then, respected tuners are swearing by them and a few of the Korean/German/Japanese manufacturers start using them as OEM parts in their high end products.

Has anyone seen or read anything that shows that these ruthenium plugs have a advantage over iridium? Iridium plugs can go a long ways. I've gone 90k on iridiums. The old plugs still looked pretty good even with that length of usage.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I have that transverse 3.9L v6 Kia engine where the plenum has to come off. I've gotten it down to about 2hrs to take off and put back on. I've had to do it a couple times once to replace the plugs (ngk ix iridium) and coil packs (OE Hyundai/Denso) and another couple times to fix a vacuum leak because the plenum gasket didn't seat. Oh, I also pulled the fuel rail and cleaned each FI with Gumout. I thought about sending them in for ultrasonic cleaning but the Gumout treatment worked great. I bench tested each one before putting them back in with all new rings. I also put in a new O2 sensor on that rear bank 1 (keeping the old one as a backup), so in theory I shouldn't have to take that thing off for at least another 5yrs.. we'll see. One thing I would advise anyone is be careful torquing those plenum bolts, I found out the hard way that they break easily and had to have one drilled out by a friend

I will admit that the first time taking it off and putting it all back together took me close to 4hrs like you mentioned.

Essential to use a NEW plenum gasket.

Torque on those bolts is quite low - typically about 15 ft/lbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Torque on those bolts is quite low - typically about 15 ft/lbs.

I know the 5.7 HEMI's call for 105 INCH lbs for the manifold. I believe the upper manifold for the 3.6 Pentastar is 71 inch lbs. and yes, always replace the gaskets, they're cheap.

[/quote]

Torque on those bolts is quite low - typically about 15 ft/lbs. [/quote]

Yeah, stupid me. I found that out the hard way. One of the few times I didn't check the torque specs and figured I'd just eyeball the tightening. I figured it was low because the bolts aren't that stout, but darn it if I didn't snap one. Getting it drilled out by a friend wasn't really much of an issue, it was having the car down for a week while I waited for the new bolt to come in at the dealership. Grrrr

Moral of the story.... always check the torque specs.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
i know the 5.7 HEMI's call for 105 INCH lbs for the manifold. I believe the upper manifold for the 3.6 Pentastar is 71 inch lbs. and yes, always replace the gaskets, they're cheap.

That's what I ultimately ended up doing and should have done in the first place. I thought I was real careful taking off the plenum and plenum gasket and it looked perfectly straight but nope, it wasn't. I realized that after having a second set of eyes look at the gasket. I ended up putting in a brand new preform and a new set of the O type silicone gaskets that fit into the groove on the plenum.

One of those situations where the real problem I had, existed between the toolbox and the engine!...‚

I have seen them and appreciate the claimed durability. I might use them in a few years if they prove reliable and durable for other people... waiting to see how it plays out.
Always use a dab of anti-seize on the threads, no matter what anyone says about nickel or zinc plating. Just a little bit goes a long way.

replacing the lifetime plugs at 50 thou in girlfriends VW netted 3 mpg's, sure they fired but not efficiently!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back