New Mower With kawasaki engine

So...

I have bought and have on hand for this job:

M1 10w-30
Rotella T6 5w-40
Rotella T6 15w-40

I'm still thinking about which oil I will use. If I have a warranty issue with the engine can Kawasaki refuse to cover it if I use a HDEO? The manual "recommends SJ or SL" will a ck-4, cj-4 HDEO be a red flag?

I really just wanted to use Pennzoil platinum 10w-40 but I don't think they make it. Every 10w-40 synthetic I find is high mileage and I don't want to put that in a new engine.

So...

I have bought and have on hand for this job:

M1 10w-30
Rotella T6 5w-40
Rotella T6 15w-40

I'm still thinking about which oil I will use. If I have a warranty issue with the engine can Kawasaki refuse to cover it if I use a HDEO? The manual "recommends SJ or SL" will a ck-4, cj-4 HDEO be a red flag?

I really just wanted to use Pennzoil platinum 10w-40 but I don't think they make it. Every 10w-40 synthetic I find is high mileage and I don't want to put that in a new engine.
API SL & SJ are 15-20 years old. I can't think of a HDEO from a major that would't pass either with flying colors.
Most XW40 CK-4s are CK-4/SN whether or not it's indicated on the container.
Besides, you're not goung to have issues with the Kawasaki engine that could possibly be related to any of your engine oils on hand.

Edit; HDEO 10w40 is more of a Euro thing and not so popular in NA. Duramax 6.6 manual for example states to use either 15w40 or 5w40,
but not 10w40. What am I suppost to do with 40 liters of CK-4 Duron 10w40?

I’ve heard this before and have always wondered why.
Mechanically, there is no reason.
Financially, why spend extra $$ on oil you are just going to drain out after a few break-in hours. Fill it with basic oil and do multiple break-in flushes at 5hs, 10hrs, 20hrs. Then put your expensive, top of the line oil in there for the full oil change interval.

Standpoint, Idaho this week. You Florida boys should come up to Sandpoint to warm up some.
Yeah that low is what matters, and dewpoint - there is literally no time of day that it is tolerable in FL.
Dew point never drops below 70F in FL summers which is a true measure of intolerable conditions.

Looking at ID, you're dewpoint is still Trust me, you got it good in that regard.

An old mower mech where I purchase my first new engine (early 90's) told me "when breaking in any engine that doesn't have an oil filter you should drain it after the first hour of use then again at 3 hours then at 5 hours then annually", overkill, maybe, but that'a how I always break in new movers.

Thank you for making the most uninformed post in this thread.
Do you have time to call them … or want me to call ?
F71BF5E9-736A-4AC1-B6B6-3F7FC2602C51.png

Last edited:
I've only used the Amsoil small engine oil in my SCAG. I've got the Kawasaki as well that calls for the 20w 30. Change the oil at the beginning of the season and have yet to add any oil. Small expense/investment in oil for an expensive mower!

Either flavor of T6 Rotella would be my first choice. As far as warranty, when I bought a new Cub XT3 last year from my local Cub/Scag dealer I asked the owner about using some T6 5w-40 in it that I already had on hand and his response was that the T6 was a great choice and he’d have no warranty issue with it. YMMV with your local dealer though. Also, congrats on the Tiger Cat II those are a nice machine!

I've only used the Amsoil small engine oil in my SCAG. I've got the Kawasaki as well that calls for the 20w 30. Change the oil at the beginning of the season and have yet to add any oil. Small expense/investment in oil for an expensive mower!
Are you saying that SCAG specs a 20w30 oil in the Kawasaki engine? I don't think Kawasaki even offers that weight.

Back