New Mower With kawasaki engine

I have a new Scag Tigercat II with a 26hp Kawasaki efi engine. Specifically the FT 730vefi. I am at 14 hours and ready to change the oil ahead of the 20 hour first dump interval.

I would like to use a synthetic. I have always used Pennzoil platinum in my trucks. And rotella t3 15w-40 in my tractor.

The manual specs 10w-40, it also allows for 10w-30, straight 30 or 20w-50. I went to Walmart yesterday and was amazed at how depleted the shelves were.

I have on hand some mobile 1 10w-30, and some rotella T6 5w-40. Would one be better than the other? Should I keep looking for synthetic 10w-40? Does advance or Auto zone carry that?

I did buy a case of Kawasaki oil filters.

Sorry to start a boring thread. I appreciate y'all's .02.
How do you like your EFI Kawasaki? I'm thinking of getting the same model Skag you have for my next mower. I am a little leary of the EFI. I can work on a carb but not so much on an injection system. I would be worried about getting trash in the fuel system and clogging the injectors.

How do you like your EFI Kawasaki? I'm thinking of getting the same model Skag you have for my next mower. I am a little leary of the EFI. I can work on a carb but not so much on an injection system. I would be worried about getting trash in the fuel system and clogging the injectors.
So far I like it a lot. I've only got 14 hours on it. The cut quality is really good. The geometry of the machine is good. It does not scalp unless you really find some holes or uneven ground, which is the trick for 61" mowers. The seat is great, full suspension. The front tires are wide and solid which helps with keeping the deck from dipping so bad when you find a hole.

The velocity plus deck creates a lot of wind which is great for cutting grass, but if you find a yard that's dry or doesn't have much grass it will fill the air with dirt.

The engine seems to be great so far. The hydros are superb as well. I like the dual fuel tanks, the fuel switch valve, the foot pedal mechanical lift. It will cut grass faster than I want to cut grass.

A lot of metal on the machine, not a lot of plastic, laid out well, it barely beat out a Kubota zg227, the seat was a big deal. I could go on, I shopped every dealer with 30 miles... JD, Hustler, Exmark, Kubota, etc... A basic review at 14 hours.

Kawasaki has been all over the place with oil recommendations in recent years. From the 730V-EFI manual:

View attachment 63073
They recommend 10W-40, but you can use 20W-50 above 32F. I'd split the difference and run 15W-40 and switch to 20W-50 if it showed any signs of consumption. Rotella T6 15w-40 or T5 15w-40 would be my go to. I order the T6 15w-40 from walmart's website.
I have the same engine (carbed version) and manual. I used QS 5w-40 Euro in it for this season. It hasn't blown up yet, nor seemingly used any oil. Its still new, with about 20 hours on it. I am wondering if the OP cold benefit using this oil as well, as it is euro-spec/

So far I like it a lot. I've only got 14 hours on it. The cut quality is really good. The geometry of the machine is good. It does not scalp unless you really find some holes or uneven ground, which is the trick for 61" mowers. The seat is great, full suspension. The front tires are wide and solid which helps with keeping the deck from dipping so bad when you find a hole.

The velocity plus deck creates a lot of wind which is great for cutting grass, but if you find a yard that's dry or doesn't have much grass it will fill the air with dirt.

The engine seems to be great so far. The hydros are superb as well. I like the dual fuel tanks, the fuel switch valve, the foot pedal mechanical lift. It will cut grass faster than I want to cut grass.

A lot of metal on the machine, not a lot of plastic, laid out well, it barely beat out a Kubota zg227, the seat was a big deal. I could go on, I shopped every dealer with 30 miles... JD, Hustler, Exmark, Kubota, etc... A basic review at 14 hours.
I've had a 48" Skag Liberty Z for my one acre yard for the past 5 years. I also cut my step dad's yard and an elderly friend's yard. It is a great mower but as I get older the suspended seat in the Tiger Cat II gets more appealing. My son has started a lawn care business so I'll give him the Liberty Z when I buy the Tiger Cat. I'm sticking with Skag as I have been impressed with my consumer grade mower (built like a tank) and I have a good dealer just a few miles down the road.

Okay, you want info from a 2006 Kawasaki FR691V 23Hp Kawasaki motor? I have this in my Cub Cadet RZT 50 - All I've used is Rotella oil in it! Rotella T4 15-40 or T6 5W-40. This engine is used HARD and never had an issue. 15+ years no issues.

Here in Florida it's ALWAYS 90 F when I cut and yes I use straight 40 weight in my Kawasaki FR600V.
Here is the climate for Gainesville. You must cut only on the hot days. :)

3E59572D-85AD-4245-AB2D-CBD7CF5528A8.png

Last edited:
So far I love it. I've got an acre of grass and I cut about 10 other yards of various sizes. The last mower is 20 years old and got there on sae30 ybp and still runs but leaks.

I may try to find T6 15-40.... That seems like a reason choice. I think the Kawasaki oil is a synthetic blend with zinc added. I may even try that out.
I look for ACEA E6 or MTU 3.1 for long drain HDEO engine oils and not worry about the base stock.

I look for ACEA E6 or MTU 3.1 for long drain HDEO engine oils and not worry about the base stock.
So the T6 15-40 would fit that bill if I'm right?

I'm generally not this picky but many many air cooled mower engines have died early. They overheat, or they leak then overheat. Goal is to do the best maintenance possible.

So the T6 15-40 would fit that bill if I'm right?

I'm generally not this picky but many many air cooled mower engines have died early. They overheat, or they leak then overheat. Goal is to do the best maintenance possible.
I'm having trouble finding a PDS on the T6 15w40.
Chevron's Delo 400 XLE synthetic 15W40 has approvals for API CK-4/SN plus, MTU 3.1, ACEA E6, 7 & 9, MB 228.51 and others.
In Canada, Petro-Can 10w40 UHP 10w40 meets most of the above, sans the "S" catagory.
I have Delo 5w40 and Duron UHP 10w40 in my stash along with a pail of T6 0w40. I often use Delo and Duron SAE 30 & 40 in yard machines
including a 6 year old JD X320.
My best UOA on a deleted 6.6L Duramax LML was using Duron SAE 40.

Last edited:
Here is the climate for Gainesville. You must cut only on the hot days. :)

View attachment 63240
I don't who made that chart but I guarantee you they don't live in Gainesville in the summer. I've lived in Florida for 73 years. I know. The only way that chart could be close to accurate is if the sample temps they used included a lot of rainy days. And of course I am not cutting grass in the rain. If anyone thinks it averages no more that 90 degrees daytime temps in Florida during the summer please come visit us and see for yourself.

Last edited:
I don't who made that chart but I guarantee you they don't live in Gainesville in the summer. I've lived in Florida for 73 years. I know. The only way that chart could be close to accurate is if the sample temps they used included a lot of rainy days. And of course I am not cutting grass in the rain. If anyone thinks it averages no more that 90 degrees daytime temps in Florida during the summer please come visit us and see for yourself.
Yes, of course it contains rainy days. Just having fun. Carry on with the 40 grade. :)

Difference is it never cools at night in Florida. Drops like 10 degrees and super muggy. When I lived up north it was 95 during the day but 60-65 at night. And way less muggy

Back