New Mower With kawasaki engine

I have a new Scag Tigercat II with a 26hp Kawasaki efi engine. Specifically the FT 730vefi. I am at 14 hours and ready to change the oil ahead of the 20 hour first dump interval.

I would like to use a synthetic. I have always used Pennzoil platinum in my trucks. And rotella t3 15w-40 in my tractor.

The manual specs 10w-40, it also allows for 10w-30, straight 30 or 20w-50. I went to Walmart yesterday and was amazed at how depleted the shelves were.

I have on hand some mobile 1 10w-30, and some rotella T6 5w-40. Would one be better than the other? Should I keep looking for synthetic 10w-40? Does advance or Auto zone carry that?

I did buy a case of Kawasaki oil filters.

Sorry to start a boring thread. I appreciate y'all's .02.

Rotella T6 5w40 would be better than Mobil 1 10w30. Other than buying Mobil 1HM 10w40, you will have a harder time finding synthetic 10w40 that is worth it. Advance Auto and Auto Zone should carry that.

I have the non efi version of that engine on a Ferris mower. I just dumped the factory fill and am using SuperTech Motorcylce V-Twin Synthetic 20W-50. It has been about 10 hours and so far so good.

I’d personally go with the heaviest spec that it allows. My FR730V is pretty much used up at 500 hours (low compression, blow by, etc.). I was unlucky enough to have a motor from the years that they spec’d 10W-30, then did a TSB raising it to 10W-40, and then another TSB raising it to 20W-50. Because I do all my own service, I wasn’t aware of these TSBs until it was too late.

Even my dealer admits that Kawasaki screwed up and so now they encourage everyone with a new Kawasaki to use synthetic 15W-50. I buy the Vanguard premium synthetic 15W-50 from my local Ferris dealer for $26 per 5 quart jug.

either oil you have on hand will work just fine.

I have used anything from 10w30 to 15w40 in my mower and my dads mower with the 18hp kawasaki speced for 10w30

Kawasaki has been all over the place with oil recommendations in recent years. From the 730V-EFI manual:

Screenshot 2021-07-11 131224.png

They recommend 10W-40, but you can use 20W-50 above 32F. I'd split the difference and run 15W-40 and switch to 20W-50 if it showed any signs of consumption. Rotella T6 15w-40 or T5 15w-40 would be my go to. I order the T6 15w-40 from walmart's website.

I've been using AMSOIL ASE 10w-30 small engine oil in my 21hp Kawasaki that now has 600hrs on it. No issues and no oil consumption that I know of since I change it out once a year for the most part.

There’s always a tendency to want to go with thick oil but when you actually look at the chart 30 grade is fine to 90 F. If you are out there on your lawn mower when the temperature is over 90 F by all means put in the 40 grade. ;)
He is in Raleigh n.c. so probably mowing in 90f temps like I do.
I use 15w40 hdeo,( Kawasaki 21hp) I have amsoil AME on hand, but I'd run any 15w 40.
Rotella 5w40 would probably be ok but it shears easier. When I had a motorcycle , I could feel the clutch get notchy as it sheared down.

The fact that "KawasKI has been all over the place" shows that you can use a lot of different oils with good results. These are good, strong engines and if it were me I'd use 5w40, 15w40 or straight 30wt diesel. Take your pick, cheap oils that will do just fine. The admonition against not using syn oil til after breakin is a myth and should be put to bed.
People say these Kawasaki engines like a 40wt oil of some kind. I dunno, ... I talk to my John Deere 425 all the time and it has as of yet to mention any preference of oil.
1) most dino oil qualify as somewhat syn anyway
2) some cars and OPE come with syn from the factory
3) syn oil does not eliminate wear, or breakin

Last edited:
Sweet mower. Let us know how you like it.
So far I love it. I've got an acre of grass and I cut about 10 other yards of various sizes. The last mower is 20 years old and got there on sae30 ybp and still runs but leaks.

I may try to find T6 15-40.... That seems like a reason choice. I think the Kawasaki oil is a synthetic blend with zinc added. I may even try that out.

I’m about 1.5 hours west of you and have used Rotella T5 in my 23 year old Kawasaki liquid cooled 501V for years. No hour meter, but I figure it has around 1,500 hours. It doesn’t smoke on start up or use any oil and still runs like new. (y)

I’m about 1.5 hours west of you and have used Rotella T5 in my 23 year old Kawasaki liquid cooled 501V for years. No hour meter, but I figure it has around 1,500 hours. It doesn’t smoke on start up or use any oil and still runs like new. (y)
That is the gray bottle 15w-40?

I have a John Deere F510 with as Kawasaki motor unit that I bought in 1999 and put about 50 hrs a year on. The oil ran super hot on 5w30 factory and first couple of changes. Over 300F after a two hour mow. First I added an oil cooler from a old stacked plate auto trans cooler. Added a temp gauge to the adapter output.

Then switched to Mobil 1 0w40. It's been fine for the last decade. The engine shares the oil with the hydraulic unit but when you drain it only about 2/3s comes out unless you add more new to force out the old. I use to do complete changes but was wasting too much oil so now it just gets 2L and done every year.

Been thinking of going to 5w30 M1 as the 40w is a bit hard on the starter when around 40f or so. The 0w40 runs about 190fF or so. When it gets over 200F you can tell it slows down.

I have a new Scag Tigercat II with a 26hp Kawasaki efi engine. Specifically the FT 730vefi. I am at 14 hours and ready to change the oil ahead of the 20 hour first dump interval.

I would like to use a synthetic. I have always used Pennzoil platinum in my trucks. And rotella t3 15w-40 in my tractor.

The manual specs 10w-40, it also allows for 10w-30, straight 30 or 20w-50. I went to Walmart yesterday and was amazed at how depleted the shelves were.

I have on hand some mobile 1 10w-30, and some rotella T6 5w-40. Would one be better than the other? Should I keep looking for synthetic 10w-40? Does advance or Auto zone carry that?

I did buy a case of Kawasaki oil filters.

Sorry to start a boring thread. I appreciate y'all's .02.

based on the feedback in this chain I’d think about using Mystik 15w50. Our local farm and fleet had a 6 gallon box for $74.99. It was $59.99 but I think the sale ended. They also have a $20 rebate so a very good price. If you don’t need that much you can get smaller quantities but the price may be slightly higher.

I’ll be switching to Mystik 15w40 in my Cummins after the current stash of Mobil Delvac is gone.

just my $0.02

There’s always a tendency to want to go with thick oil but when you actually look at the chart 30 grade is fine to 90 F. If you are out there on your lawn mower when the temperature is over 90 F by all means put in the 40 grade. ;)
Here in Florida it's ALWAYS 90 F when I cut and yes I use straight 40 weight in my Kawasaki FR600V.

Back