New Monitors Not 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.
My desktop monitor is starting to die and I'm trying to find a replacement for it that is NOT shaped like a TV screen. I have a CRT in the shed that has a traditional aspect ration but at 22" it weighs about 40# and it too is on its last legs. 1080p is great if all you do is watch movies on your computer but for spreadsheets and other real work it sucks. Does anyone know if you can still get a monitor that has a regular 4:3 aspect ratio, high res (1600x1200 would be good) and doesn't cost more than $200?

I'd check out Newegg.com or Outpost.com
At least it is a good place to start.

I haven't shopped for computers or monitors in a long time. I just reuse old stuff nobody else wants.

The $200 part is going to be tough, unless you find it on craigslist.

Would it help you if you took a 16x9 display and flipped it vertically, thus ending up with 9x16?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seriously? Monitors are getting bigger and yet are downgraded to 1080? Yuck.
Yup, you can get your pixels as big or as far apart as you want, but only 2,073,600 at a time. At least unless you don't mind shelling out used car money for a "pro" display.

Even 1920x1200 (16:10) is becoming more and more rare. The prices on those tend to be higher, too.

You probably won't get one in that resolution for $200, save for a used one on Craigslist or eBay.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Even 1920x1200 (16:10) is becoming more and more rare. The prices on those tend to be higher, too.

You probably won't get one in that resolution for $200, save for a used one on Craigslist or eBay.

Yup. This is my favorite ratio. My current monitor gave me a scare a few months back and I thought it was dying. What really scared me was the prices on new 16:10 displays.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
That Samsung shown in the link above sounds like a nice view at a fair price.

But it's not 4:3 aspect and not 1600x1200.

Originally Posted By: Grant11
LOL
I'd go over to 2001 and ask them... maybe 1997...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016136
You're not going to find a monitor much larger than your phone's screen if you really want that ancient of a technology.
It would seem that way except that hawt new iPad Retina Display? It has a resolution of 2048 by 1536, AKA 4:3. The old frumpy 1024x768 one? yeah:youguessedit.

I realise 4:3 is nice for work but

1600x1200 vs 1980x1080 isnt that bad. just make sure you get a big enough monitor that everything isnt tiny.

like 24" or so is the sweet spot.

its where all the deals are

if you want a niche 4:3 monitor or even a 16:10 you will have to pay for it. probably about double.

1920x1080 doesn't seem like too low a resolution to me for 20"-24" consumer-level displays. Most of the older 19" 4:3 displays were 1280x1024 anyway.

And you can still get more than 1080 lines of resolution if you pay more.

Yup, cause they can (and do) use the same panels as a TV. It's done to save costs.

1080 is not bad for a smaller screen, but when your sitting up close to a display, 1080 is really not that great.

Don't know if you want to deal with rebates or not but this seems to be a good deal 1920x1200 24" for 200 after mail in rebate.

http://www.pcmall.com/p/HP-Monitors/product~dpno~9096319~pdp.hcgjiia?src=search#pdpRebates

I had trouble finding a suitable monitor too. I wasn't prepared to spend over $500, so that ruled out the upper class stuff.

What I was left with is the large array of 1080p monitors, or the smaller selection of 1920 x 1200 displays. The latter at 24" is what I was determined to get, but they all seem to be made with LG panels that have awful grainy glittery anti-glare coating that I found, by first hand experience, intolerable.

So over the past two years and three monitors I finally have an acceptable 1080p monitor for my purposes - a Samsung S22A650D. I still wish I could have a 24" 1200 line monitor like this, but this series is all 1080p.

The other two monitors I had to give away - one a nice Dell IPS unit with the awful coating, the other a Lenovo TN unit with dreadful viewing angles - so bad that I could not see the whole panel without half of it exhibiting color distortions.

My conclusion, based on limited experience, is that the Samsung anti-glare works for me whereas I cannot tolerate the LG anti-glare coating, and that VA panels are good enough for me while IPS panels are even better except for the coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back