New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: zveroboy
Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, Pennzoil / Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 has a HTHS of 3.88 and a nice low NOACK of 6.8 too.

Do you have a link to the source, please?

Oh I posted like 10 times link.
Google Pennzoil Ultra pds, the one that has API SN. That oil became Pennzoil Platinu 5W40.

The PDS that I found is, like you said, Pennzoil Ultra and it's from 2013. Is there a more current PDS for the Platinum 5w40? Are we sure it hasn't changed?

Originally Posted By: harrydog
Originally Posted By: zveroboy
Originally Posted By: SR5

Yes, Pennzoil / Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 has a HTHS of 3.88 and a nice low NOACK of 6.8 too.

Do you have a link to the source, please?

Oh I posted like 10 times link.
Google Pennzoil Ultra pds, the one that has API SN. That oil became Pennzoil Platinu 5W40.

The PDS that I found is, like you said, Pennzoil Ultra and it's from 2013. Is there a more current PDS for the Platinum 5w40? Are we sure it hasn't changed?

I think it is only rebranding.
Why would they change formulation again in 2 years.

Well, some of the physical characteristics have changed... HT/HS, 100C viscosity, etc. However, according to my source at SOPUS, Noack is still 6.8%.

I am not sure if this formulation is net positive so I exchanged a 5 quart jug of 10w30 EP I didn't need for another old formula 0w40. I might do it again with some others.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Well, some of the physical characteristics have changed... HT/HS, 100C viscosity, etc. However, according to my source at SOPUS, Noack is still 6.8%.

What would be HTHS now?

What would be HTHS now?

And actually i made a mistake above. Noack is now 6.2% supposedly.

Those Noack numbers are among the very best. Interesting that the GTL base stock excels in that area.
Also, is there a current PDS for their 0w40?

I have 2 of the older M1 0w-40 jugs from 2015. I'd rather have the slightly lower HTHS newer "FS" version as I'm only looking for a weak 40 grade where 3.6 HTHS is more than enough. I don't need the 3.8. Maybe I'll get another jug of the FS to dilute down the other 2.

Does the packaging look very different than the old 0w-40? I ask because I went to my local Walmart yesterday and couldn't tell if it was the new or the old. It said European Formula but I didn't notice "FS" written on the package.

I like the lower HTHS for use in my S2000, but since I couldn't be certain, I ended up buying 10w30 instead. Now I'm wondering if I should return it and buy the new FS 0w40 at AutoZone or Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: Vitt
Does the packaging look very different than the old 0w-40? I ask because I went to my local Walmart yesterday and couldn't tell if it was the new or the old. It said European Formula but I didn't notice "FS" written on the package.

The packaging actually looks very similar. There is a small "FS" designation on the label and there is no mention of BMW. These are the main clues.

IMG_20160124_151115.jpg

IMG_20160124_151141.jpg

Interesting - It's 5 litres now - Used to be 4.4 ....

That's more in line with most others on the shelf here in Canada - Castrol is 5 litres etc.

Is the new FS a better oil. Porsche recommends M1 0/40 and I have 30 gals left. What will we have to watch for in the new formula?

The packaging actually looks very similar. There is a small "FS" designation on the label and there is no mention of BMW. These are the main clues.

I see the FS now! I probably missed it at the store. Thanks a lot. Going back to exchange this week.

Sure would like to know NOACK and Sequence IVA.
Should be shear-stable since it is 229.5 and A40.

The FS 0w40 will go in the Mercedes this weekend. The last formulation was finally smooth and quiet...Hope it doesn't revert.

Originally Posted By: beetleything
Interesting - It's 5 litres now - Used to be 4.4 ....

That's more in line with most others on the shelf here in Canada - Castrol is 5 litres etc.

I hope the trend spreads across the product line. Do note that black bottle Edge is 5 litres, while gold is 4.4 litres.

Does anyone have both the old version and the FS version? I had both and didn't realize, however they are in the cars already. I noticed that the FS version is darker than the usual oil in my Camry at 1K. Not sure if this is just a slightly darker oil, or other factors. So far, so good. Mileage has increased, but the car has had lots of work done recently.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
Does anyone have both the old version and the FS version? I had both and didn't realize, however they are in the cars already. I noticed that the FS version is darker than the usual oil in my Camry at 1K. Not sure if this is just a slightly darker oil, or other factors. So far, so good. Mileage has increased, but the car has had lots of work done recently.

The color isn't really that important. Heck, some oils have dyes added.

Any issue mixing the full saps 0w-40 versions (the last couple generations)? I bought some quarts today and they each had a different label. Should it be ok to mix them all up for this fill? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Any issue mixing the full saps 0w-40 versions (the last couple generations)? I bought some quarts today and they each had a different label. Should it be ok to mix them all up for this fill? Thanks.

I personally wouldn't, but it shouldn't cause any issues.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Ayrton

I personally wouldn't, but it shouldn't cause any issues.

Thanks. Turns out none of them were this new FS logo version. But the bottles were different. Hopefully it was all the same version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back