New Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart 20k Mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an example,in the UK for 4.4 quarts/5 Litres of Mobil 1 ESP Ow40 we pay $74/£60.Amsoil oils are $27/£22 per quart.The Mobil oils are sometimes cheaper on a special,some places around $53/£43.

Last edited:
Curious how many they are actually going to sell at this price.

It's priced so high, I'm surprised Walmart didn't put it behind a glass door that requires an associate's key to open.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'll bet they'll get a few buyers (the Mobil fanboys and girls). They'll even get a few BITOGers, namely the "$50 a year isn't bad if I'm using a brand name" crowd (and there are lots of them here too).

With $50 for M1AP and PUP at >$50 as mentioned in another thread, this may set the stage for the lower tiered oils to go up in price by a significant amount in the not too distant future.

This may be a sign for everyone to stock up while you can.

Originally Posted By: wemay
They just put it on the shelf at the Walmart near me too. $49.xx.

So much for them waiting for the official launch date.........

Stopped by the MalWart close to my home and they didn't have it...it is a smaller store, though.
I would stop by the Super one closer to my work, but that is the place with the horrible access problems. I would probably only head there after 9pm on a typical weekday, after the other stores in the area had closed.
As mentioned above, I would happily pay $50 for 5 quarts if it had the dexos1:2015 certification. Since I'm told it doesn't, I'd just like to take a close look at it at this point.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Having the product sit out back generates zero revenue and just takes up space, so I understand why Walmart does not want to wait another month.

It does cause some headaches for the manufacturer, but it's one of those battles that a behemoth like Walmart will always win, even if XOM isn't exactly small either.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Having the product sit out back generates zero revenue and just takes up space, so I understand why Walmart does not want to wait another month.

It does cause some headaches for the manufacturer, but it's one of those battles that a behemoth like Walmart will always win, even if XOM isn't exactly small either.

I am shocked to learn that WM has almost double the revenues of XOM, $482billion to $246billion. Shell is actually bigger than XOM at $272billion.
I would guess that WM could easily just threaten to drop Mobil oils from their stores if there was too much squawking about any major issue...I would guess most WM customers would just switch to cheap Pennzoil, Castrol, or whatever rather than paying more for M1 at an auto parts store or ordering it online.

I'm wondering why the oil got shipped out almost a month early?? That seems odd...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I'm wondering why the oil got shipped out almost a month early?? That seems odd...

We can only stipulate at this point. Maybe it was a logistics issue. Maybe XOM promised walmart to deliver a new product to revitalize their current offering by such and such a date. They may have managed to keep the manufacturing/delivery end of the deal, but for some reason the associated marketing/advertizing fell behind schedule, so XOM asked Walmart to wait before stocking the shelves. Of course they can only ask. They can't tell Walmart how to run their stores.

We should be able to stipulate with Exxon Mobil a better price than $49.97 for their Superhero oil..

Well why didn't Exxon Mobil just launch their SUPERHERO $50 oil on this upcoming Daytona 500 race weekend?? It's on Kurt Busch's car as the primary sponsor. No one's going to buy this at $50. Even I won't. And I was one of the not too many people who bought Pennzoil Ultra at $28 and Castrol gold bottle at $28 as well. Fifty bucks..... It will be a good dust collector.

And I agree with demarpaint... This crazy price will make it "easier" to raise the "lower tier" oils prices significantly. Wait and see.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Well why didn't Exxon Mobil just launch their SUPERHERO $50 oil on this upcoming Daytona 500 race weekend?? It's on Kurt Busch's car as the primary sponsor. No one's going to buy this at $50. Even I won't. And I was one of the not too many people who bought Pennzoil Ultra at $28 and Castrol gold bottle at $28 as well. Fifty bucks..... It will be a good dust collector.

And I agree with demarpaint... This crazy price will make it "easier" to raise the "lower tier" oils prices significantly. Wait and see.

I still think it is going to end up in the $37.99-$39.99 range, shortly after the official kick off. There's a shot they might price it at $44.99, but honestly $39.99 is the max price for a store like WMT, AZ, or AAP. Then look for springtime rebates, big time.

$45 or more, I honestly think the product will flop.

It's priced so high, I'm surprised Walmart didn't put it behind a glass door that requires an associate's key to open.
smile.gif

I agree. They placed it next to Castrol EP and Mobil 1 EP which says... 'up to 15,000 miles' and sell for $28.XX.
21.gif

So for another 5k miles it will cost you an extra $22.. Foolishness.

Demarpaint I think even if the price is $37-39 dollars it will not sell. A very, very, high percentage of people who shop Wally World seem to have a $25 limit when it comes to motor oil. Above this price point sales are MUCH less. So, I would think that this Superhero oil will collect dust even at that price point of $37. And many people don't want to mess with rebates etc...

So for another 5k miles it will cost you an extra $22.. Foolishness.

Demarpaint I think even if the price is $37-39 dollars it will not sell. A very, very, high percentage of people who shop Wally World seem to have a $25 limit when it comes to motor oil. Above this price point sales are MUCH less. So, I would think that this Superhero oil will collect dust even at that price point of $37. And many people don't want to mess with rebates etc...

I think you're right, but those are numbers that might work, maybe. $45 or $50 no way in h--l. WMT and cheap seem to go hand and hand, and this product is anything but cheap. It might end up flopping then going to WMT online like PU did, and good luck finding it in stock, and having some price consistency. If I had to bet, I'd say its going to be a dud.

Hey demarpaint here's a concept... Exxon Mobil gets rid of Mobil 1 extended performance and replaces it with this Mobil 1 Annual Protection... Sell it for $29.97.. Now then they would've had at least a fighting chance. Better yet...Exxon Mobil hires you, me and about 10-15 more bitogs to be sales consultants that helps them with their ad campaigns, price points, and advertising. And pays us well for our insights and help that actually makes sense..

Hey demarpaint here's a concept... Exxon Mobil gets rid of Mobil 1 extended performance and replaces it with this Mobil 1 Annual Protection... Sell it for $29.97.. Now then they would've had at least a fighting chance. Better yet...Exxon Mobil hires you, me and about 10-15 more bitogs to be sales consultants that helps them with their ad campaigns, price points, and advertising. And pays us well for our insights and help that actually makes sense..

Now you're talking! Sign me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back