New Mobil 1 0w40 Super Car

Once again it is the total package. We win championships in NHRA Pro Stock with very thin oils in very high horsepower applications. Relative to the oils we replaced there is a dramatic reduction in wear in again, real world examination of actual parts in service. While you are technically correct the additive approach with our oils is not the typical me too approach. Additive selection can and does greatly influence the end result. I am not disagreeing with you however you must consider the fact that a balanced properly formulated product can yield better results. Applying a filter to us based on the performance of standard products is not a good fit. We do not have an increased wear problem with light oils.
Sure but how many 100's of K's do you get out of those engines? Not anywhere near the average use for 99% of the people.

Well everything is relative. When you smoke push rod tips, scuff pistons, and wipe bearings in 3 passes vs having those problems go away after changing oil brands for some 30 passes it matters. This is sometimes achieved with the same oil in the pan. It is a quick education on the importance of additives. When you are talking about $150,000 bullets it’s actually a pretty big deal. In fact if you hurt 2-3 of those in a weekend and you can alleviate that issue by changing oil, it’s a bigger payoff than any life extension you would ever consider realizing in a passenger car.

The good news is we apply what we learn in racing to make better products for the street. So there is ultimately a connection.

Last edited:
Corvettes used to use 5W-30. I see that Mobil 1 made this water-downed 0W-40 dexosR with a lot of VII and a thin base oil so that it would run more like a 5W-30 than a 0W-40. Mobil 1, unfortunately, tends to be a big believer in fuel economy, a thin base oil, and a high VII content, and they often put wear protection in the back seat.
They might as well go 0w20 like they do in the 6.2 escalade

Their website has always been awful. It's a large corporation, and someone hasn't been fired in their IT department. The person responsible for their website needs to badly rethink their priorities. Maybe a couple of complaints to the higher-ups might help the process. I don't know. Neglect has always been the hallmark of laziness and ineptitude. Job security is where it's at.
Iirc it seems even basic stuff like Noack, hths is hard to come by. Hope their lackluster attitude isn't infiltrating to their engine oil.

Iirc it seems even basic stuff like Noack, hths is hard to come by. Hope their lackluster attitude isn't infiltrating to their engine oil.
Which is really unfortunate and a bit of a fall from grace, as Mobil used to have very detailed PDS sheets but they've been getting progressively more dumbed down over the last few years.

This oil is basically a high 30/low 40 grade to begin with. I had thought viscosity @100C was higher for some reason.

1665061622152.png

I would pass on the HPL PCMO Euro 0W-20 and HPL Super Car 5W-50, but the rest are mostly good.

However, I would pass on the HPL Super Car 0W-40 as well in favor of the HPL Super Car 5W-40 or HPL PCMO Euro 5W-40—the former has the same VII content as the watered-down M1 ESP 0W-40 dexosR and only a slightly higher HTFS. Their 5W-40 grades are strong, almost as strong as the strongest 5W-40 HDEOs such as Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 and far stronger than weak 5W-40 HDEOs such as Shell Rotella 5W-40.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils
Thanks, Gokhan, your table seems to be of great use when really narrowing down oils to fit a specific "wish list". I have a '19 F150 3.5EB and I decided (somewhat arbitrarily, somewhat WAG) that I wanted a KV100 between 10.5 & 12, a VII of 4.5% or less, and an HTFS >2.84.

While the oils below that floated to the top of this would certainly leave some extreme cold-weather performance on the table, I would certainly use any of these for summer use. Since HPL has almost half of the oils in this chart, I will say that @High Performance Lubricants did recommend their plain PCMO 5W30 for my app, and relayed that CBP runs the PCMO in 3.5EBs on a 15k OCI with 5k FCI. Once you get down to this level IMO, it's an assessment of cost per mile.

I'm going to put some of these choices on my list to try soon!

1665068774381.jpg

Here are the numbers.

The old dexos2 version:

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP
HTFS (base-oil viscosity) = 2.50 cP

The new dexosR version:

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP
HTFS (base-oil viscosity) = 2.20 cP

So, they have really watered down this oil, making it worse in wear protection than a good ILSAC 5W-30.

Just wanted to clarify this misinformation as it made it to the Corvette forums.

Ther ESP and Supercar are identical oils. There's no old and new numbers.

Screenshot_20221013-154050_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220424-225211_Samsung Internet.jpg

Handout i received from my briefing with mobil

20220319_125119_50287134d8f800e46987b59f912b444c81810307.jpg

Ill find out why m1 changed their published specs on m1 esp now.

Just wanted to clarify this misinformation as it made it to the Corvette forums.

Ther ESP and Supercar are identical oils. There's no old and new numbers.

View attachment 120963

View attachment 120964

Handout i received from my briefing with mobil

View attachment 120965

Ill find out why m1 changed their published specs on m1 esp now.
If you have both the old and new bottles, compare the four-digit formulation number on the back of the bottle, which will give you a definite answer. The dexos license number wouldn't change with the formulation.

The four-digit formulation number on M1 ESP X3 0W-40 is 6394.

suncoast2-jpg.44904

Last edited:
Funny enough theyre actually the same upc code even. Formulation for both are 6385

20221013_180135.jpg

Im working with m1 now to fix their site..

Screenshot_20221013-180206_Gmail.jpg

Funny enough theyre actually the same upc code even. Formulation for both are 6385

View attachment 120984

Im working with m1 now to fix their site..

View attachment 120985
The UPC codes would be the same if they only rebranded it.

Note that the formulation was updated between 2019 and 2022. The four-digital formulation number for the "old ESP" in the picture I posted was 6394, and yours are 6385 for both the "new ESP" and Supercar.

That verifies that my previous post was correct:

----------------------------------------------

Here are the numbers.

The "old ESP" dexos2 version (circa 2019–2021):

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP

Formulation change circa 2021–2022 (four-digit formulation number changed from 6394 to 6385)

The "new ESP" dexos2 version and rebranded Supercar dexosR version (circa 2022, identical, rebranded versions):

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP

So, they have really watered down this oil, making it worse in wear protection than a good ILSAC 5W-30.

Last edited:

Note that the formulation was updated between 2019 and 2022. The four-digital formulation number for ESP in the picture I posted was 6394, and yours are 6385 for both the ESP and Supercar.

That makes my post correct:

Here are the numbers.

The old dexos2 version (circa 2019–2021):

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP

The new dexos2/dexosR version (circa 2022):

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP

Your picture shows a bottle of esp x3. A completely different oil still in use. Thats formulation 6394

Last edited:

Note that the formulation was updated between 2019 and 2022. The four-digital formulation number for the "old ESP" in the picture I posted was 6394, and yours are 6385 for both the "new ESP" and Supercar.

That verifies that my previous post was correct:

Here are the numbers.

The "old ESP" dexos2 version (circa 2019–2021):

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP

Formulation change circa 2021–2022 (four-digit formulation number changed from 6394 to 6385)

The "new ESP" dexos2 version and rebranded Supercar dexosR version (circa 2022, identical, rebranded versions):

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP

So is this “old esp”

Attachments

• DFB4A253-2BDF-4C73-8748-891B9D29F92D.jpeg
    DFB4A253-2BDF-4C73-8748-891B9D29F92D.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 15
Your picture shows a bottle of esp x3. A completely different oil still in use. Thats formulation 6394
The specs on ESP Formula 0W-40 and Supercar 0W-40 are identical according to Mobil 1. So, they are both pretty water-downed 0W-40 oils, not any thicker than a 5W-30 in base-oil viscosity HTFS, and as an added bonus, you get a lot more VII, which means a lot more permanent oil shear and engine and turbocharger deposits than with a 5W-30. I would avoid these oils like the plague.

The specs on ESP Formula 0W-40 and Supercar 0W-40 are identical according to Mobil 1. So, they are both pretty water-downed 0W-40 oils, not any thicker than a 5W-30 in base-oil viscosity HTFS, and as an added bonus, you get a lot more VII, which means a lot more permanent oil shear and engine and turbocharger deposits. I would avoid these oils like the plague.
We will alert GM

The specs on ESP Formula 0W-40 and Supercar 0W-40 are identical according to Mobil 1. So, they are both pretty water-downed 0W-40 oils, not any thicker than a 5W-30 in base-oil viscosity HTFS, and as an added bonus, you get a lot more VII, which means a lot more permanent oil shear and engine and turbocharger deposits than with a 5W-30. I would avoid these oils like the plague.

Just in case the Corvette forum folks again happen on this thread, to clarify mobil one or any oil company does not water down oils

..and perhaps unfortunately perhaps not it is the ONLY oil thst currently holds Dexos R certification so the only oil approved for 2023 plus c8 Corvettes and hence the only that will meet warranty requirements.

So in that sense I would definitely not avoid it.

For 2020 to 2022 owners they are approved for using Dexos 2 in which i personally would prefer ESP x3.

I actually prefer Ravenol RUP but don't tell GM

20221006_133324.jpg

Last edited:
We will alert GM
I am probably exaggerating. You will be OK. :)

The Visom-based M1 FS 0W-40 had HTHS = 3.8 cP and HTFS = 2.5 cP. They "watered it down" to 3.6 cP and 2.3 cP, respectively, after the GTL transition. M1 Supercar 0W-40 was further watered down to 3.5 cP and 2.2 cP, respectively. I am pretty sure they don't use water though—probably some thin base stock.

See my table linked above for further details.

Back