New Mobil 1 0w40 Super Car

Not sure if this is old news or not.

Is this rebottled ESP 0w40?

It looks like they rebranded the Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 - IIRC. It's the factory fill for the Corvette.

This is the new Mobil 1 0W-40 (ESP Formula) dexosR. The specs are entirely different than for the old M1 0W-40 ESP dexos2. However, I don't know if they changed the specs before they rebranded it.

The dexosR version seems to be a lot thinner than the dexos2 version, but I need to run the calculation.

The last SDS I found was from 11/21. Mostly GTL at that time with some PAO and probably POE.

This is the new Mobil 1 0W-40 (ESP Formula) dexosR. The specs are entirely different than for the old M1 0W-40 ESP dexos2. However, I don't know if they changed the specs before they rebranded it.

The dexosR version seems to be a lot thinner than the dexos2 version, but I need to run the calculation.

Here are the numbers.

The old dexos2 version:

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP
HTFS (base-oil viscosity) = 2.50 cP

The new dexosR version:

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP
HTFS (base-oil viscosity) = 2.20 cP

So, they have really watered down this oil, making it worse in wear protection than a good ILSAC 5W-30.

Estimated base-oil viscosity (HTFS) and VII content of selected oils

In that case, why go for Supercar oil, when you can have Bad A$$ racing oil!?!

Screenshot_20220720-171851_(1).jpg

Here are the numbers.

The old dexos2 version:

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP

The new dexosR version:

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP

So, they have really watered down this oil, making it worse in wear protection than a good ILSAC 5W-30.

Corvettes used to use 5W-30. I see that Mobil 1 made this water-downed 0W-40 dexosR with a lot of VII and a thin base oil so that it would run more like a 5W-30 than a 0W-40. Mobil 1, unfortunately, tends to be a big believer in fuel economy, a thin base oil, and a high VII content, and they often put wear protection in the back seat.

The irony is the address for the webpage.

Exxon-Mobil didn't bother calling it SuperCar in address.

View attachment 108907
Their webmaster doesn't give a hoot about their website. It's not the first time I've seen screwups on their website. Even as we speak, a bunch of information is missing from certain products, like the FS lineup. Easy money for the webmaster/developer, a dream job for sure. He probably watches cat videos all day long while some guy or gal in China does the actual work for pennies. It's been known to happen before. :rolleyes:

and they often put wear protection in the back seat
No, wear is factored in. I'm probably wrong on the number of miles. Most drivetrains (engine/transmission) are calculated to last for about 150K miles. If anyone knows this better, please feel free to correct me.

Here are the numbers.

The old dexos2 version:

VII content = 7.2%
HTHS = 3.76 cP

The new dexosR version:

VII content = 9.2%
HTHS = 3.53 cP

Hey, can you, when you get a few minutes, add the HPL Super Car and Euro oils to your sheet?

Last edited:
Their webmaster doesn't give a hoot about their website. It's not the first time I've seen screwups on their website. Even as we speak, a bunch of information is missing from certain products, like the FS lineup. Easy money for the webmaster/developer, a dream job for sure. He probably watches cat videos all day long while some guy or gal in China does the actual work for pennies. It's been known to happen before. :rolleyes:

The Mobil 1 website is a mess.

Back