new Mirage

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
He loves his Jetta, but it isn't big enough,

So the Mirage is roomier?

Those things are pretty large on the inside. They are bigger on the inside than out for some reason.

The Mirage has always been in short supply here, I'm sure they would sell better if we could get them. New model being advertised on TV, but not here yet. Early models had a starter/ring gear problem, but otherwise they are trouble free. Some people might not like the 3 cyl, but triples are a favorite of mine. If I was on a bigger commute and could afford a new car I'd snap one up straight away, they are more economical than my motorcycle!

Get what he wants, the mirage; if I could count the number of people who ridiculed my buying the echo with all the same types of CR complaints.

People who are buying cars in this class have no misconceptions of what they are getting. Low cost of purchase and operation; vehicles that fly the flag of utility shamelessly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dareo
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
On the off chance you can even find one (with a standard shift), how much would that cost and what's the warranty?

Stick Shift base models can be negotiated down to 18 to 19k, warranty is nothing special, just 3/36 and 5 yr 60k power train i believe.

So...twice the cost and half the warranty? No.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Get what he wants, the mirage; if I could count the number of people who ridiculed my buying the echo with all the same types of CR complaints.

People who are buying cars in this class have no misconceptions of what they are getting. Low cost of purchase and operation; vehicles that fly the flag of utility shamelessly.

I gotta agree with that sentiment. Some of these reviews attach a bit of "First World" problems to a car that's ostensibly basic transportation. The value proposition it represents at its ~13K price point might be another issue though if there's no discount. It's basically an updated Geo Metro that in the right circumstance would work fine. If it was a '92 Crown Vic, there wouldn't be a problem...but a lot on here don't have any experience or interest with these cars, so I wouldn't have an expectation of getting accurate information as it relates to someone's wants or needs.

He has it. He wasn't happy having to give up his Jetta, but he likes the Mirage so far. He spent most of yesterday breaking it in on 2-lanes; he put about 220 miles on it.

It's hard to argue with the price. You could buy two of them for less than one other inexpensive car. I've rented the previous generation car, didn't seem any worse than the competition. Its probably better than many small cars we happily(?) drove in the 80's and 90's.

I had a Mirage come in on a tow truck today....

I've serviced the car 2 years ago, my co-worker last year. It's in pristine condition so I wondered what could be wrong for about 3 seconds.

Tried starting it, turned over fine, no compression loss or electric fault.

Then I opened the tank filler, and noticed the fuel smell was very weak for a full tank. Turned out there was more diesel in there then gas.

Removed the contaminated fuel, put some gas in and after cranking a bit she came to life.

This is the only Mirage we've ever had in for something other than maintenance...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
I had a Mirage come in on a tow truck today....

I've serviced the car 2 years ago, my co-worker last year. It's in pristine condition so I wondered what could be wrong for about 3 seconds.

Tried starting it, turned over fine, no compression loss or electric fault.

Then I opened the tank filler, and noticed the fuel smell was very weak for a full tank. Turned out there was more diesel in there then gas.

Removed the contaminated fuel, put some gas in and after cranking a bit she came to life.

This is the only Mirage we've ever had in for something other than maintenance...

I am planning on buying one in a year or two when they drop down to $5000 or so for a 5 speed.

I have been following the car on a forum. It seems that the two biggest issues are the rear wheels are misaligned with no way to align them and there is a connector on the driver's side kick panel that gets full of salt and has issues.

The car itself is relatively simple.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I am planning on buying one in a year or two when they drop down to $5000 or so for a 5 speed.

I have been following the car on a forum. It seems that the two biggest issues are the rear wheels are misaligned with no way to align them and there is a connector on the driver's side kick panel that gets full of salt and has issues.

Here's one with only 13k miles, 5 speed, from a Mitsu dealer for $5995.

http://www.mitsubishi46.com/used/Mitsubi...431b5f88530.htm

Cheapest one in the country, ES, 5 speed, 100k miles for $4999. But wheel and deal and get it for $3999.

http://www.nickandpauls.com/2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage/Used-Hatchback/Tulsa-OK/7282807/Details.aspx

Last edited:
there is a connector on the driver's side kick panel that gets full of salt
What???

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
there is a connector on the driver's side kick panel that gets full of salt
What???

Electrical connector under the carpet. It collects salt and corrodes. Confuses the canbus.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Here's one with only 13k miles, 5 speed, from a Mitsu dealer for $5995.

http://www.mitsubishi46.com/used/Mitsubi...431b5f88530.htm

Cheapest one in the country, ES, 5 speed, 100k miles for $4999. But wheel and deal and get it for $3999.

http://www.nickandpauls.com/2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage/Used-Hatchback/Tulsa-OK/7282807/Details.aspx

Nice!

The one for a hair more I wonder if someone could knock them down a bit - Mitsubishi doesn't transfer the 100K warranty.

That one for $4999 could be a nice litle ride!

First week: he likes it. Plenty of room with the seats folded, happy to run on the highway at 70+MPH. Plenty of power, as long as you know that you have to let the engine spin.

Likes it so far. Doesn't match his VW's 52-54MPG, but he's getting about 44 in maybe 50/50 city and highway driving. One thing he likes is it is MUCH easier in tight spaces than his Jetta. It also has 2 things the Jetta lacked: cruise control, and the ability to hold 70 up a long grade.

One minor glitch: a week after he bought it, he lost the right headlight. (Dealer replaced it for nothing.)

Back