New member, oil for 2014 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Love the website, finally decided to join in the fun. I have a 2014 Civic Si that is the mostly a daily driver, with the occasional track day. I am on my 3rd oil change, having done Royal Purple 0w20 twice, and now running Torco SR-5 0w20. I found RP to be a bit noisy but was otherwise ok I guess. I am liking Torco SR-5 as it is much quieter. I haven't done a UOA yet but I plan on doing it at 5k with the Torco to see whats going on. I am thinking I don't need a boutique oil like Torco so I would love suggestions for a more readily available off the shelf oil. I am thinking about going Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum for the next change, any thoughts on that? Any other suggestions for a better option? Thanks!

welcome2.gif

No. You don't need any kind of fancy oil brands, even if it's boosted or tracked. K20/24 engines are bulletproof, easy on oil and will serve you well.

Ultra is a little bit overkill if you follow MM, which is pretty conservative and based on conventional oil. If you follow MM, I'd just use Platinum.

Here is my 6k mile UOA of 5w30 Ultra, stretched OCI around 1500 miles according to MM. Next time, I will try 10k miles with Fram Ultra oil filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4090260/1

welcome2.gif

Use Napa Synthetic, if one is nearby. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower, and on sale for $2.99/qt this month. Pick up a Napa Gold filter while you're there.

Doesn't your car have the MM? You can follow its suggestions with confidence
smile.gif

Thanks so much for the responses. I'm interested to see how the SR-5 and HAMP stand up in the UOA. What are the good filters these days? Not that I have any issues with HAMP, but I would like to try different options. Thinking about going with Napa Platinum S2000 size.

I used the S2000 size filter on my K20 (08 Si) and didn't really notice a difference, but also wasn't doing UOAs then. I used Mobil 1 5w20 for 80,000 miles, with no issues and only normal oil consumption (half quart to quart over 5,000ish miles). My OLM use to pop up around 5,000-6,000 miles so that's always when I changed it.

I would bet any of the better off the shelf oils, like the ultra being recommended would be great. For filters I use to use either K&N or a couple times royal purple. That setup did pretty well for 80,000 miles of some "spirited" driving and multiple daily 8k redline runs.

There is an orange newer Si in the work parking lot, and I gotta say its still a sharp car.

Originally Posted By: Inverted
Hey all,

Love the website, finally decided to join in the fun. I have a 2014 Civic Si that is the mostly a daily driver, with the occasional track day. I am on my 3rd oil change, having done Royal Purple 0w20 twice, and now running Torco SR-5 0w20. I found RP to be a bit noisy but was otherwise ok I guess. I am liking Torco SR-5 as it is much quieter. I haven't done a UOA yet but I plan on doing it at 5k with the Torco to see whats going on. I am thinking I don't need a boutique oil like Torco so I would love suggestions for a more readily available off the shelf oil. I am thinking about going Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum for the next change, any thoughts on that? Any other suggestions for a better option? Thanks!

The most important job of motor oil is wear protection. If you want the best oil in the 0w-20 category for wear protection I would go with Quaker State Ultimate Durability (gold bottle).

Originally Posted By: Inverted
Thanks so much for the responses. I'm interested to see how the SR-5 and HAMP stand up in the UOA. What are the good filters these days? Not that I have any issues with HAMP, but I would like to try different options. Thinking about going with Napa Platinum S2000 size.

Some aftermarket s2000 oil filters are smaller than regular Honda filter. For instance, Fram recommends XG6607 for s2000, which is an extremely small filter compared to XG7317.

If you keep your OCI/FCI under 7-8k miles, I would recommend Wix/Napa Gold or OE S2000 filter.

funny we use supertech 5/30 synthetic, and bosch 3323 filters. and 125K miles not an issue one with our civic. we change when the MM says 20-30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back