new Mazda6..dealer oil program, the bottom line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I earlier posted about the free dealer oil change program for my new Mazda6..nine free changes with semi synthetic: 5w20 I think. Many of you expressed outrage since 0-20w is recommended, but here is the bottom line, I am meeting with service mgr next week
1. I want to have dealer do changes to make sure there is no warranty questions..need a certified mechanic to document
2. My choices are likely to be
A. Bring my own oil and have them change with a Mazda filter..maybe a credit for their oil cost, not likely
B. Same as above but use recommended Mazda high Moly synthetic..$11.95 a quart
C. Assume that the semi synthetic is good enough and won't hurt engine , even if gas mileage not as good..and it is free

If you had to pick, would it be A , B, or C?

thanks

John

D. None of the above
DIY and keep receipts and document and yes I would use a 0w20 no warranty issue to wory about.

The dealer's oil will be just fine. Use your "free" oil changes, you already paid for them.

What dealer are we talking about here?

I think its insane to argue over a 0w20 verses a 5w20 warranty wise, there's no issue.

Option c is best IMO, if you want the free stuff. Now if the service manager wants to go to the trouble of providing you in writing for you to obtain your free stuff, that's his choice. But well up above the call of duty. But free stuff is normally just a way to get you in the door to add more services.

You really sound like you need to do your own oil changes, and let others keep their sanity.

Get your dealer to give you something in writing that in spite of the manual recommendations, that they, or Mazda guarantee their "free" nine oil changes maintain warranty requirements...

Then go use them.

At least the dealer is using 5W20 this time around.

Talk with the manager, to see about B. However, there's nothing wrong with option C, especially if they're using a quality semi-synthetic like Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: Snowflaque
Morrie's Mazda

I thought this sounded like their program. Don't they also provide you with a lifetime powertrain warranty that goes above and beyond Mazda's warranty? I think they would have a seriously hard time saying their own oil doesn't satisfy their warranty.

Originally Posted By: dave123
D. None of the above
DIY and keep receipts and document and yes I would use a 0w20 no warranty issue to wory about.

Totally agree. I guess some people don't get as much satisfaction from doing their own oil changes as others.

Why risk any damage from careless techs who are rushed to get your car out of the bay?

the 5w20 is going to cost you an extra 18 cents in fuel over the next 3 or 4 years while the warranty is in effect over 0w20. And while I question why the dealership isn't using what Mazda recommends we all should know that the car/engine will be fine....even up there in the frozen tundra.

Originally Posted By: dave123
D. None of the above

^ this.

It appears OP has great concern with the use of 5W over 0W. If such is the case, go to Walmart, buy the cheapest 0W20 and DIY. The OCI is 5k -- any 0W20 oil will do and rust will likely send this car to the junkyard before the engine will.

Originally Posted By: Snowflaque
All,

I earlier posted about the free dealer oil change program for my new Mazda6..nine free changes with semi synthetic: 5w20 I think. Many of you expressed outrage since 0-20w is recommended, but here is the bottom line, I am meeting with service mgr next week
1. I want to have dealer do changes to make sure there is no warranty questions..need a certified mechanic to document
2. My choices are likely to be
A. Bring my own oil and have them change with a Mazda filter..maybe a credit for their oil cost, not likely
B. Same as above but use recommended Mazda high Moly synthetic..$11.95 a quart
C. Assume that the semi synthetic is good enough and won't hurt engine , even if gas mileage not as good..and it is free

If you had to pick, would it be A , B, or C?

thanks

John

Every mazda dealer around here will charge you $10 to change your oil if you bring your own oil and filter.

C.
The dealer isn't going to do documented oil changes with anything that's going to hurt the engine.
I'd value these changes at around ten bucks in materials, based upon what I know I'd pay for bulk semi-syn and the cost of a jobber quality filter.
If the dealer isn't using the recommended grade of oil, I doubt that they're using an OEM filter either.
Still, for 5K drains, the stuff they use would be fine.
They're not going to do anything that might leave them on the hook in the event that Mazda denied a warranty claim, and since they would have done the work using the materials of their choice, they would be liable if Mazda denied responsibility based upon the oil and filters used.
Free is good and the freebie oil changes aren't going to hurt a thing regardless of oil grade or oil filter used.
Fleet cars get bottom dollar bulk or drum oil all of the time in whatever grade, along with jobber filters. Many of these fleet cars aren't retired until they've passed the magic 200K.

You could ask the Mazda dealer for the Madza factory rep's guidance on the 5W-20.

Even better, schedule your meeting with the service manager at a time when the factory rep can attend.

That may put a spotlight on the dealership not meeting Mazda's recommendations on which oil to use.

If the answer is still 5W-20 after the meeting, have the factory rep put it in writing.

But to answer your question, C is the right choice.

Use the free stuff.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
C.
The dealer isn't going to do documented oil changes with anything that's going to hurt the engine.
I'd value these changes at around ten bucks in materials, based upon what I know I'd pay for bulk semi-syn and the cost of a jobber quality filter.
If the dealer isn't using the recommended grade of oil, I doubt that they're using an OEM filter either.
Still, for 5K drains, the stuff they use would be fine.
They're not going to do anything that might leave them on the hook in the event that Mazda denied a warranty claim, and since they would have done the work using the materials of their choice, they would be liable if Mazda denied responsibility based upon the oil and filters used.
Free is good and the freebie oil changes aren't going to hurt a thing regardless of oil grade or oil filter used.
Fleet cars get bottom dollar bulk or drum oil all of the time in whatever grade, along with jobber filters. Many of these fleet cars aren't retired until they've passed the magic 200K.

This dealer we're talking about here is definitely not going use an oil that will cause harm to the engine, because they're providing a lifetime powertrain warranty.

I go with C.

There's been some talk about folks bringing in their own oil/filter and basically using the shop for labor only, and my response still is that's cheesy...it puts both of you in a bad light: You, for being a potential problem customer, and them for doing something they really don't want to do. The deal is "..installed". The price includes the installation of their stuff. As an aside, by changing the deal, they're also agreeing to accept responsibility in the event of a mishap which results form their installation of parts they have no control over.. Like you getting the wrong oil filter and it bursting or not sealing properly against the engine or something. If it was me, if I was the shop owner, I'd decline your request and your business (there's little if any profit in oil changes) based on both complications.. Who needs someone with trust issues who basically thinks they know more than I do and therefore will be second guessing me and/or take their car somewhere else for the inevitable issue I eventually find while doing freebie oil changes? And why should I take on the liability for a part selection I have no control or choice over?

If you're really anxious about the oil or the filter they use, either find another shop or decline their free oil changes..really, what are you saving?... or do it yourself. But, if you go with this dealer, it's an all or nothing deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back