New lawnmower what oil to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

It says what where? The Amsoil website gives the specs on their new small engine oil, and SM is not included. We all know that lawn mowers do not YET have catalytic converters, which the SM specs are specifically meant to protect.

API SM has nothing to do with catalytic converters. Yes, the phosporous limit has been lowered on the energy conserving grades (5w30, 5w20 etc), but other anti-wear additives have taken it's place. The phosphorous limit has been going down since SH I think.
Quote:

SM is a PCMO, and, while not the optimal oil for small air cooled engines, will probably give most folks reasonable engine life. But, why use it when better oils are available? Many use a 15W40 HDEO, with excellent results.

Again, API SM is the new spec for ALL gasoline engines. Go look at a new jug of Rotella, it is API SM and CJ4. I suppose you think you can't use it in a lawnmower now because it has "SM" on it?

Quote:

So, is it better to use SJ rated oil like what is recommended in the Honda engine manual...

Top of page 7 of the Honda engine manual says SJ or later.

Quote:

I can't get exactly 86 octane gasoline. I can get 85 octane or 87 octane. Which is better to use?

The 86 minimum is at sea level. If you are at an elevation that your car runs fine on 85 octane, your lawnmower will too. You should run the lowest octane that doesn't cause detonation (pinging.)

Quote:

I like the way the Honda engine is designed. The air filter is in a quality unit and the air filter looks pretty good, although it is expensive.

The air filter is the exact same size as on Briggs Quantum engines 4 1/2" x 5 1/4" x 3/4". Check the Briggs, Arnold, or Stens equivalent (Stens # is 102-549. I've never paid more than $5 or 6 dollars for one.

Quote:

I am also going to check around a little and see if Honda might make motor oil for their own lawn engines. If so I will use the Honda oil.

As others have said, no need for that. Any SJ or later 10w30 will be fine. If you really want to treat her right, get some Rotella T 10w30 in either CJ-4/SM or CI-4/SL. That is what I use and I'm sure it is overkill.

Quote:

The engine already has about an hour of operation and I figure I will mow the grass 1 more time and check the oil and if it looks like it is getting dirty or has shiny particles in it I will change the oil.

I would change it no matter. The silver glitter won't be obvious until it is in the drain pan. You can run the second batch twice as long, then you can probably go to 25 hour intervals.

Quote:

I figure I will change the oil once a month. After all, it only takes 20 ounces of oil and a couple of quarts of oil will last 3 oil changes.

You actually should only need 16 ounces for refills. I've never gotten more than 16 ounces out on a drain. And it should only take 2 or 3 of the shortened intervals to get the break in debris out.

Quote:

I may need to get a spark plug socket for the spark plug. But I will probably not need another spark plug until next year. About the only other thing is getting the blade sharpened occasionally.

Get the socket and check the plug next year but I would be suprised if it needs it. NGK BPR6ES to have a spare on hand is good.

Air filter I'd spend half as much on the Briggs or aftermarket part and change it yearly or when it looks dirty.

Quote:

Saw bottles of Honda small engine oil, 10W-30, at our local Tractor Supply Center (TSC, www.mytscstore.com) that had an API SM rating.

There you go! The manual states that Honda Genuine oil is preferred. ergo SM is fine.
stooges.gif

popcorn.gif

This is a very informative thread. I'm going to go out & change my Toro engine oil now!

grin.gif

I tried to find diesel oil in 10W30 viscosity but I could not find it. All the diesel oil I looked at in a few stores was either 15W40 or straight 30 weight and meeting only SJ standards. I also could not find any Honda oil designed especially for small engines. I want to use only the viscosities recommended in the Honda small engine manual. I am not kidding-almost all of the diesel oil was 15W40 and the 30 wt diesel oil was rated only SJ. I checked Checker Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, Big R, Wal-Mart, and Home Depot.

So this left me with the decision to either go with car and truck gasoline engine oil or else use something like Briggs & Stratton 10W30 SJ oil. I decided to buy a couple of bottles of Castrol SM 10W30 engine oil. It is suspposed to maintain viscosity well and prevent sludge.

I will use the 10W30 Castrol in the Honda engine Troy-Bilt lawnmower and straingt 30 wt Castrol in the Briggs & Stratton engine wheeled weed trimmer.

I don't think any of those stores that you mentioned are located in my area of the country. Big R is the closest I can come; it is kind of a store for farms and ranches. It DID have Arnold oil in straight 30 weight. But all of the diesel engine oils either seemed to be 15W40 or else 30 wt and rated only SJ. I don't own a diesel engine car or truck and I have never paid all that much attention to the diesel motor oils. Maybe in the wintertime there is a lot of 10W30 diesel oils. I don't know. Or maybe people at least around here usually run 15W40 in diesels.

Somebody said that Honda SM rated small engine oil could be found at Tractor Supply Stores. But there are no such stores around here that I am aware of. Maybe the safest thing to do would be just to buy Briggs & Stratton SJ-rated lawnmower oil in either 30 wt or 10W30 and use that.

Today I was buying weedtrimmer line at a store that sells weedtrimmers, lawnmowers, and other kinds of lawn and garden small engine stuff. I asked them about oil for a Honda engine (they did not have Honda small engine oil). They said use 30 wt oil only.

Considering how often I plan on changing the oil perhaps the best and safest way to go is just to use 30 wt Briggs & Stratton oil. At least I can find it. I figure car and truck SM rated motor oil is good enough but in the back of my mind I wonder if the antiwear additives in the newer oils are good enough. At least the Briggs & Stratton oil is designed especially for lawnmowers and other small engines.

I found some John Deere 10W30 SL rated oil designed for lawnmowers and other types of small engines. I bought 3 quarts and I will use it in the Honda engine on the Troy-Bilt. I will use the automotive oil I bought in the Briggs & Stratton engine on my weed trimmer (wheeled weed trimmer).

I changed the oil in the Honda engine today. You have to tip the lawnmower over and let the oil drain out of the fill tube. It went pretty fast. Then I put in 20 oz. of the John Deere 10W30 SL rated lawnmower oil.

The old oil still looked pretty clear. I did not notice too much of a silver shine in it but there was some. I did not keep track but I probably had only about 1.5-2 hours of use on the first oil which was Arnold's 10W30 SJ rated oil that came with the lawnmower, I figure the SL rated John Deere oil is better. I am going to change the oil about once a month during the summer. It has been raining so much here I have to mow the lawn once a week for sure. So I will be changing the oil every 4-5 times that I mow the lawn.

Thanks for that information. If it is true that the John Deere oil is so bad, I CAN get Mystik oil at the Big R Store. The Mystik is mainly intended for gasoline engine vehicles but it does meet some diesel requirments.

I checked several stores and the only diesel engine oils I could find were mainly 15W40 and some 30 wt that was SJ rated. But I should be able to get Mystik 10W30 which meets some diesel requirements at the Big R Store. The Mystik can be used in cars and trucks and is MS rated.

I changed the oil in my mower but I have not run it yet. To be safe I will get the Mystik oil and remove the John Deere oil.

When strange thing I can mention when I located the John Deere oil. There was Briggs & Stratton oil there that was SJ rated and 30 wt. Instead of being 20 ounces it was only 18 ounces! So I guess they think 2 ounces is left in the samll engine or else they are trying to increase their profits! As far as I know these small lawnmower engines all take 20 ounces of oil.

Quote:

As far as I know these small lawnmower engines all take 20 ounces of oil.

pat2.gif
Your Honda GCV160 only takes 18 ounces on a dry fill. For an oil change you probably only need 16 ounces. Always go by the dipstick to get the proper fill level.

Mystik makes a good oil. Look for the JT-8 Synth Blend Heavy Duty Engine Oil in 10w30 CI-4/SL, or SAE30 CF/SL.

I'm glad someone posted the link to that JD oil VOA. I remember it being dismal. If you can get the Mystik HDEO 10W-30 it should be much better. About anything would be from looking at that VOA again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back