new lawn tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spend so much time here, I haven't been on the tractor forums for a while. Teach me to trust my memory on Sears/Husq. :)

Since I had a Husqvarna Motorcycle when I was a kid, I was thrilled they made lawn tractors (when I was in the market for one). After my test drive of a used one, I brought it back. It wouldn't stand up to the uneven terrain as it flexed way too much.

Craftsman and Toro are both good old MTD (Made To Die) as are Husqvarna. Unless your lawn is like a golf green, 2.5 acres will do in an inexpensive lawn tractor in a few years. In my opinion, if you can't spend the money on a good high end Deere or Simplicity, you would be better off with a lightly used quality machine. My Honda 4518 is fourteen years old and runs like the day it was new, it certainly doesn't look like it as my three acres are pretty tough to mow. Honda's were discontinued because they were too expensive. They still bring a high resale because they were so good. Another brand to consider used is Wheel Horse. Heavy cast front axle and gearbox. Extremely well made and not expensive used.
The other option I know a number of prople do is to buy a Wal Mart cheapo, run the crap out of it for three years (which is about what it is good for)and throw it away.

quote:

Originally posted by Russ300H:
Craftsman and Toro are both good old MTD (Made To Die) as are Husqvarna...

Hehehee.. "made to die" maybe, but they are not made/built by MTD. Craftsman and husqvarna are made by electrolux/AYP, toro still made by toro.

Joel

if i could find something with a used honda engine i would definintly consider it over a new briggs.what i really wish is Stihl made a lawn tractor.

Hi folks, Help-Advice needed, I am getting ready to do a total rebuild of a ~1990 Honda HT4213 riding lawnmower garden tractor powered by a Honda GX360 (RM) horizontal shaft OHC inline twin water cooled 13 HP engine. If I can make the engine like new, I intend to restore the rest of the garden riding lawn mower to pristine condition... I have several questions for you spread throughout this posting.

A friend gave this machine to me as a fixer-upper...and he said his son ran it for a while w/ zero oil... It is a good engine b/c it stills runs despite beng run w/ zero oil. I am a relative engine novice, so I am going to get my feet wet w/ this project. A couple questions: Does anyone have a tried and true online place to get full line of Honda small engine parts? I see Master ACiD has a old engine for parts...I'll send him an email on that...

This GX360 motor starts/runs well, but as soon as grass cutting is attempted, it boggs down, most likey?? due to blow-by/cylinder scoring. Compression should be between 142-170 psi. The compression on mine is 105 (front cyl) and 115 (rear cyl). I have a service manual and owner's manual, I intend to purchase a parts manual. I'll keep ya posted on my progress and will appreciate any specific or general advice you may have for me.

Before I start in on this, does anyone know of any oil additive that would tend to seal or mitigate cylinder scoring to given the magnitude of above loss of cyl pressure? Perhaps I should try that first? or not? thoughts?

Thanks

thanks everyone,now it's pretty certan that it will be 3.5 acres,and most of it will have to be mowed.i have narrowed my choices to:cub cadet LT 1550,cub cadet 1050,Toro 22hp 50in deck.all of these are "home depot specials" just can't go over $2,000 right now.the 1550 is around $2300 .any thoughts good or bad will be appreciated. thanks,george

Here is the only thing I would buy if I was looking for a cheap mower. Definitely the best bang for the buck. And below 2k.

"Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter"

That's one thing that will help the engine last a long time. And one feature I myself gotta have.

i promise i'll check with a JD dealer before deciding.The folks i bought my sthil chainsaw and brushcutter from are JD dealer. just figured a 50" "cutting deck" would be best.thanks ,please keep the info coming.

quote:

Originally posted by 95_carvan:
Here is the only thing I would buy if I was looking for a cheap mower. Definitely the best bang for the buck. And below 2k.

Agree 100%. The CC 1000 series and MTD toro's use very light duty hydrogear hydro drives. Genuine junk. LOTS of problems with them. You are better off with a sears unit. They use HG's but seem to have fewer issues than the ones used on CC/MTD. In the $2K price range do yourself a favor and get a JD 100 series. BIG BOX or a JD dealer offers the same price. JD uses tufftorq hydro drives that are much less problematic than the light duty HG hydros. You are better off going thru a JD dealer for the service/parts relationship. FWIW, I own a CC 2544. Nice machine, but over $3K.

Joel

Thanks,if i'm not mistaken the mowers i mentioned had oil pump and filter also. to be quite honest i was going by deck size.

Thankyou for saying 'deck'.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 95_carvan:

I just got this very mower a month ago. 115 is a very nice mower. this is the first hydrostatic trans I have ever owned. and must say I love it. with the gears. I could never find a gear that was the right speed to mow. either too fast or slow. now I just press down to where I like it and it stays there. will not be my last deere I will ever own.

if all you going to do is mow. that $5000 one is over kill. better off getting the 100 series. but if your going to use the attachemnts you can get with it. then by all means get it.
I really like my 115 mower. my yard never looked so good. I am glad I went with a JD over the cheaper makes.

Reading all these posts makes me not want to buy a new lawn tractor. I bought a $350 used rear engine Snapper ten years ago, don't know it's acutal age. Slapped a new 12 horse b&s and thing has mowed everything in that time and still doesn't miss a beat. Dad likes to use it as a brush hog. Grandpa's getting out of the mowing business this year I guess I need to buy his three old snappers since I can trust their dependability.

Was in Lowe's today & saw many of the John Deere models in person. *Drool*
grin.gif
I gotta say that for the $$ I think the JD #115 & #125 are gonna be tough to beat, good advice given in this thread.
cheers.gif

I'm still using an old MTD-made Lowes brand w/14HP Briggs I/C OHV engine, 42" deck. It runs & cuts well, & will certainly use it through this summer. The yard is more of an obstacle course, & anything much wider than 42-44" will wind up being trouble on the steeper/rougher parts.

Those shiny new JD's looked great, & I'm thinking hard about a model 115 or 125-maybe they go on sale at summer's end? I dunno, but that $1799 JD 125 would be at the absolute top of my $$ range. Both have the hydrostatic drive, for $200 more than the #115, the #125 offers a 20 hp V-Twin engine vs a 19 hp single cyl(both are Briggs OHV, cast iron sleeve engines & use filtered full-flow oil w/no-tool-needed oil drain); an hour meter(I *really* like that
grin.gif
); & some kind of throttle set they call a "cruise control". Mebbe a couple other things, but that's all I saw on the JD website.

So tell me, is that V-Twin engine & an hour meter worth an extra $200? The yard's big hillside is covered with Bahia grass
shocked.gif
& it can be tough when it gets up kinda high. The big single cyl might have a little more torque but suspect the twin-cyl will overcome potential "bog-downs" better.

Does anyone have experience with both? Thanks in advance.

ya'll have gooten me to wanting a new DEERE !

questions can the 115 mow in reverse ? would it be ok for uneven terrain ? i like to mow low. and i hit ground all the time with my current 42" craftsman. if i did get the new one i would mow higher but its still uneven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back