Grease and oil filter for John Deere lawn tractor

mez

Hi Guys. Just picked up a used 2016 John Deere S320 lawn tractor with 144hrs. Was wondering what type of grease you are using for it?
I believe a Fram PH3614 oil filter will fit? Thanks

Do yourself a big favor and unless JD specs Moly grease for the spindles just use Red and Tacky bearing grease for everything. Its overkill for the steering but its much easier to have just one gun, one grease for the whole tractor. And if you have a car or truck with greaseable front end or trailer bearings you can use it there too.

Congratulations on your new lawn toy. The Fram 3614 definitely fits the Briggs V-Twins, and I think it also fits the Kohler's. I used Lucas Red 'N Tacky for the first five years on my JD, but switched to Mystic JT-6 High Temp last year due to oil separation with the Lucas. I can't say that it caused any real problem, but I didn't like the way the grease gun was leaking. As for motor oil, I favor M1 10w-30 High Mileage for its 3.5 HTHS rating.

I think the correct filter is PH8170 Fram. I buy a genuine B&S filter on AMAZON for about the same price as a Fram or WIX and sleep well. Ed

For the Kawasaki engine, you'll need a Fram PH4967 or Wix 51394 (or 51394 XP).

Right now, my grease gun is filled with Valvoline SynPower, so that's what I use
smile.gif

As for grease, I have used Valvoline Crimson on my 1998 JD LX188 since new. It has the original deck bearings, steering components, deck wheels etc that we're installed by JD when it was built 22 years ago. I use the cheapest line of NAPA/wix pro select oil filters.

Fram 3614(Ford 4 cylinder ) filter will fit Kawasaki, Briggs, and Kohler engines.
I'm using Mobil 1 red grease and it tends to separate as well.
May as well go back to plain old #2 grease-with lithium or moly of course.

My 2¢

I do have the Kawasaki engine. I have never had this brand of engine, Are Kawasaki engines good?

Originally Posted by mez
I do have the Kawasaki engine. I have never had this brand of engine, Are Kawasaki engines good?

Mine has been flawless.

Back