New laptop- have a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally did it... bit the bullet and bought a laptop to use with a new piece of equipment at the shop. Normally I'd just wipe everything clean and put on something Linux flavored but I can't as the equipment's software requires Massivesoft Windoz. So here I am trying to learn the ins and outs. My last Massivesoft OS was XP! I've already opted out of as many things as I possibly could that would send data to either Microsoft or Google.

My questions are- what is the latest, greatest free A/V software? Also, is there anything I need to know about Win 10? All I need or want is a computer that will run the equipment software, surf the web (web based repair service) and possibly some light spreadsheet work. Are there any hidden gremlins in this laptop I am not seeing? So far it doesn't seem loaded with bloatware and after unpinning all the garblygook from the task bar (or whatever they are calling it now) it almost seems like an old OS in looks. Which brings me to ask, is there a Win XP or 7 emulator app for 10? Is it needed?

Thank you in advance for your input!

You should try out BitDefender Free.

The biggest benefit is it is really good at blocking phishing websites, so it will stop you from getting tricked by websites, which aren't computer viruses exactly; but just fraud and tricks to get your info and money.

Last edited:
Avast Free is very good now too. For a free AV you get a lot of features and custom installation options. I am running it with only the Web, File and Mail shields enabled, and the Online Security Add-On for Firefox. It is doing a great job, does not slow me down and is very light on resources.

Panda Free is a top rated free AV, I used it in the past, and my wife still uses it on her new laptop and it does a good job while staying very quiet and out of the way. I found it to be a little heavy on my laptop, slowed me down a bit so I changed over to Avast.

Avast, Panda, Avira and Bitdefender are all good free AV's. BD is great if you just want to set it and forget it. You can also just run the built-in Windows Defender, it is much better than it used to be and will do OK until you find the right security tools you want to use.

For me, Windows 10 is a lot like Windows 7. It just looks different. 10 is said to be more secure and it does have some differences in the use and operation but is not hard to get used to. 10 works great for me.

If you want to make Win 10 look closer to Windows XP or 7, you should check out Start10 from Stardock systems. They have been around a very long time, so not a fly by night company. Its pretty cheap too: I hated Win 8 and Start8 was mandatory for me, but its less important with Win10. I think there is a trial offer as well, but its only like $5.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

You can also get Vmware Workstation 12.5, then you can load Linux on top of Win10 if you want. For AV I personally like Norton, but there is also Windows Defender and any number of products.

I thought the built in Windows Defender was actually pretty decent? I'm also going to be adding a Win 10 machine to the fleet and really don't want to load up on AV nonsense if the built in stuff + firewall is good enough.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
You should try out BitDefender Free.

The biggest benefit is it is really good at blocking phishing websites, so it will stop you from getting tricked by websites, which aren't computer viruses exactly; but just fraud and tricks to get your info and money.

I second BD, it's improved and very light, the best free AV out there.

Look for sales on Webroot Antivirus. It's the least resources-hungry A/V on this planet. Your new computer will be more responsive with Webroot, than any other available today, free or paid.

I heard Windows Defender is about to change to an actual, real-world-protecting A/V and remain free. Supposed to happen by mid-summer 2017.

Last edited:
I seem to like Avira AV. It's not intrusive and is faster than when I had Norton

Originally Posted By: Donald
Millennials expect everything to be free.

Slippery-Slope.png

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I thought the built in Windows Defender was actually pretty decent? I'm also going to be adding a Win 10 machine to the fleet and really don't want to load up on AV nonsense if the built in stuff + firewall is good enough.

Defender can be considered "good enough" if you keep your Windows OS and all other programs updated regularly, do not visit unsavory sites and are very cautious about clicking links and attachments. It is also a very good idea to disable remote access, enable viewing of file extensions and use a standard account for everyday operation of the laptop.

Defender provides a base line level of protection but it still does not rate very well on the various AV test sites. There are other alternatives both free and paid that can offer better protection than Defender. They all have their good and bad points and it is very important to remember that no antivirus will catch everything. There is simply too much malware out there and too many dirtbags distributing it.

It is best to take a layered approach and not use a full blown AV suite. Suites are usually loaded with a lot of bloatware that most people do not need and will not use. You can get good protection with a stand-alone AV, Malwarebytes Premium, Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro anti-exploit, either the free or paid version of Cryptoprevent and the use of good common sense and safe surfing habits.

You can use the free Iobit uninstaller or do a free 30 day trial of the Revo uninstaller to get rid of all traces of unwanted bloatware that was preinstalled on your laptop. The Windows firewall is also more than adequate, but there are free and paid alternatives. Some of the paid suites have their own firewalls but personally I do not think they are really necessary.

Thanks. Too many years running Macs and Linux make running AV a foreign concept.
smile.gif

I'm generally very careful on things I open up and, while I do visit some "unsavory sites" (of the adult variety) I never click on any of the popups and anything. IOW - I believe nothing that pops up on my computer.

That being said, I have a serious issue with those "AV test sites" that have a vested interest in keeping you hooked on paying for stuff or keeping the fear alive.

Not sure yet - I may stick with Windows Defender + firewall and keep on doing what I'm doing. I always do backups so I'm not too afraid.

seen way too many computers humming along with windows defender active..

and totally infested with all kinds of bad stuff.

Bitdefender had weird issues with blocking usb drives and other oddball actions.

Eset you can get 3 years 1 computer for around 20-30$

Originally Posted By: Rand

Bitdefender had weird issues with blocking usb drives and other oddball actions.

Is there some special promo or code that needs to be entered?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Pay for ESET. Millennials expect everything to be free.

I most certainly don't expect everything to be free- I have amassed a considerable selection of tools and equipment, all bought and paid for, predominantly from reps/dealers which greases their wheels and makes them money too. Tens of thousands of dollars worth. Case in point- the widget I just bought was through our NAPA sales rep. If it weren't for the tech classes I attended through them (he announced them) I wouldn't have learned about this particular tool. Now sure I could have undercut him and bought it else where for less, but I didn't. I choose the more expensive route not only for the lifetime support, but so he can personally benefit from his work.

I'm sure the next question you'll have is well this just a few dollars, why not buy it too? A few reasons... It used to be (things could have changed) that hackers used to attack the Nortons and McAfees and other paid versions before the free versions of lesser known A/V programs. I also don't fancy spending money on something that in the past hasn't performed any better than a free version. So unless times have changed and/or it's gotten lots cheaper I'm not apt to spend on A/V again.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Originally Posted By: Rand

Is there some special promo or code that needs to be entered?

I just looked on the ESET site and am seeing 2 years for $60.00.

Webroot Antivirus uses the Cloud. ESET does not and uses considerably more resources. Both are not free and best-value purchased around Black Friday / Cyber Monday and the three weeks prior to Christmas Day.

Frysdotcom is the best place for me to shop. I keep their website in my Bookmarks/Favorites folder and type-in Webroot at those above specified times of the year.

On Cyber Monday I got Webroot Antivirus (actual software mailed to me) for three devices for $10 and free shipping.

Last edited:
An ESET NOD32 deal here

I would encourage you to use free fully functional trials first from these guys:

ESET
Panda
TrendMicro (never have 'deals')
Kaspersky

This will give you some time to further your research of the subject and gain the first hand experience. I would encourage you to change critical passwords after each of those to rule out their own wrongdoing, e.g. Kaspersky has more backdoors than there are stars in our Galaxy, people mostly go gaga over it because the KGB general runs a lot of free promos here. Anyway, make your own mind. And, as was mentioned above, never use the Net as an admin, always log in as a user, etc. Also, if you think that Linux is safer, study the subject - it is more transparent, but it can be owned as easily as a Windows box. It's all Arithmetic, not even Algebra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back