New Lap Top.......suggestions please.

Simple, no games, 15" or so. Current 15" HP works but is getting a bit funky, unsuccessfully trying to load Windows 10 on its own. Costco is handy.

Guess it's like cars, hard to compare model to model vs make to make. But my work upgraded my HP to a Lenovo ThinkPad and the ThinkPad is so much better. My only complaints about the ThinkPad is that it's a little heavy and the speakers on 100% are not that loud and I sometimes struggle to hear people that speak softly on web conference calls.

Reactions: GON
Are you open to both Mac and Windows machines? What's the intended use (just email/forum/Youtube? Or more intensive work?)

I'm now all in on the Apple ecosystem (Mac and iPhone) and probably will stay that way indefinitely, but grew up using Windows and had a Chromebook in high school. I got a Mac to take to college and I've been very pleased with it. They are "more expensive" on paper, but seem to last longer, and it's not fair to compare a $1100 MacBook Pro to a $300 HP BestBuy special on price alone without accounting for the difference in specs, etc. I know people using five to seven year old Macs (mine is three years old and has been nearly flawless, except for a keyboard recall which was covered for four years from purchase) with no issues at all - displays are excellent, hardware quality is very good, etc. They just work.

If I were to pick up a Windows machine, it'd most likely be a Lenovo ThinkPad - build quality seems far better than on most other non-Macs I've used (they have a business focus in their design). You can get a very serviceable machine on sale for ~$600 from Lenovo, and build quality is worlds apart from a cheap HP or Acer or something. This is probably going to be your best bang for the buck.

Lenovo

I wouldn't even consider HP. I've had to many issues with them separating at the corners apparently due to a poor monitor hinge design. I checked on line and this is apparently a widespread problem. Supposedly, HP will repair under warranty but once out of warranty, charges $200 to repair. My 2-year old HP, never abused or dropped, is being held together with duct tape! The right hinge has broken loose.

I never heard of this being a problem with Dell.

any microcenters nearby? they have a $199 15" laptop thats faster than my 1150$ thinkpad from 5 years ago.

If it's just for websurfing and email stuff have you considered a chromebook? Costo frequently has the HP one on sale for 299. I have been abusing mine for about a year and it has held up. It is my outside/travelling device and it gets used hard.

If it's just for websurfing and email stuff have you considered a chromebook? Costo frequently has the HP one on sale for 299. I have been abusing mine for about a year and it has held up. It is my outside/travelling device and it gets used hard.
A very good suggestion. And when it gets old and slow then it's only another $300 to replace it.

They are also very light and have good battery life. If you are doing any more work than web browsing then its a "hell no"

They are also very light and have good battery life. If you are doing any more work than web browsing then its a "hell no"
Agred. Light, good battery life and light word processing/excel, outlook etc.. Otherwise if you need power look elsewhere.

Buy it at Costco, go in and look at live working models then make up your mind. Can't go wrong with Intel or AMD, just make sure it has a SSD and 8GB RAM minimum. Costco warranty and concierge service is really good when needing help with electronics. They do all the legwork.

My favorite right now is an Acer Aspire 3 I bought at Microcenter. It has an i5. Fast, easy on eyes, keyboard is the best for typing compared to Lenovo and HP I have. Looks like Costco may have an Acer Aspire 5. The HP ones I have tend to be hard on my eyes.

Thanks for the help. Unit is 4 years old and zero problems other than acting up occasionally, which in the past has indicated a sudden failure in other computers over the years.

Never have used a Mac or anything other than Windows. Mostly computer illiterate. Will check Costco tomorrow.

Apple currently has refurbished M1 MacBook airs for $850… bit of a tough pill to swallow up front but the built quality on them is superior to pretty much anything unless you’re spending that much anyway.

Thanks for the help. Unit is 4 years old and zero problems other than acting up occasionally, which in the past has indicated a sudden failure in other computers over the years.

Never have used a Mac or anything other than Windows. Mostly computer illiterate. Will check Costco tomorrow.
If you can use a phone you can use a chromebook :) they are super easy to use.

Back