New Kia K5 GT first oil change

Picked up my wife’s K5 GT last week and decided that 900 miles was all I could wait to do the initial oil change.

Picked up an OEM filter and a couple jugs of Valvoline 5w-30 after some reading through several informative threads here.

The plastic filter housing doesn’t exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings but I guess I’ll just keep a close eye on it.

Seemed to be about average on the material in the filter and housing when I inspected it. Hopefully it’s reduced a bunch by the next oil change so I can run a normal OCI from there on out.

After I finished up, I took it for a rip on some Ozark back roads just to make sure everything was good to go for my wife. Even stopped by Uranus to make sure I spoiled her with some carefully packed fudge.

Ceramic coating is next so that I don’t have to work so hard to keep the black looking clean.
42F072D2-28D4-4481-8CD2-554AEBC9AA4C.jpeg

5B6FBCDE-F784-48B2-80C8-C2FBF9AF4265.jpeg

474CC13E-05B7-49AB-8657-4C8BB9720D77.jpeg

Just some unsolicited feedback: Ceramic coating is a great DIY upgrade, but is definitely not worth paying someone to do. At best, you are looking at 2-3 years of service life with 2-3x/month hand washes. Any black car will benefit from a light polish and re-coat after 2-3 years, even with the more careful washing practices. There is only a finite amount of clearcoat as well.

If you're going to spend 4 figures, spend it on PPF instead.

My Camry has a composite (plastic) oil filter housing, probably like yours in terms of construction. I was concerned about its strength and longevity at first, but now I no longer think about it. If you're doing DIY changes, just pay attention to the torque when tightening everything down and you'' be OK. The Camry is serviced by one of two local shops, and they've not damaged anything. If you're really bothered by the composite housing, it may be possible to find an aluminum aftermarket unit, just there are for many other makes.

Good luck with the new ride ... it looks good in black.

Just some unsolicited feedback: Ceramic coating is a great DIY upgrade, but is definitely not worth paying someone to do. At best, you are looking at 2-3 years of service life with 2-3x/month hand washes. Any black car will benefit from a light polish and re-coat after 2-3 years, even with the more careful washing practices. There is only a finite amount of clearcoat as well.

If you're going to spend 4 figures, spend it on PPF instead.
I actually have a friend of a friend that quoted me $500 including some minor paint correction, and he guarantees it for 4 years.

My Camry has a composite (plastic) oil filter housing, probably like yours in terms of construction. I was concerned about its strength and longevity at first, but now I no longer think about it. If you're doing DIY changes, just pay attention to the torque when tightening everything down and you'' be OK. The Camry is serviced by one of two local shops, and they've not damaged anything. If you're really bothered by the composite housing, it may be possible to find an aluminum aftermarket unit, just there are for many other makes.

I definitely won’t let my wife take it to Walmart or Jiffy Lube. I actually enjoy doing oil changes since it gives me a chance to make sure everything that’s hidden underneath is still in good shape.

I actually have a friend of a friend that quoted me $500 including some minor paint correction, and he guarantees it for 4 years.
$500 isn't terrible, but still more than I would spend. I have coated a double digit number of cars using a variety of brands and I am curious what standard he is using to evaluate the coating at the 4 year mark. If he is relying on the coating manufacturer's guarantee, then I think you will be disappointed.

The only way you'll get to 4 years on most coatings is with an annual chemical decon and in years 2-4, you will be using some type of ceramic spray sealant "topper" every few months. By that point, any dirt-shedding or water beading behavior will probably be from the topper and not the coating itself.

I definitely won’t let my wife take it to Walmart or Jiffy Lube. I actually enjoy doing oil changes since it gives me a chance to make sure everything that’s hidden underneath is still in
$500 isn't terrible, but still more than I would spend. I have coated a double digit number of cars using a variety of brands and I am curious what standard he is using to evaluate the coating at the 4 year mark. If he is relying on the coating manufacturer's guarantee, then I think you will be disappointed.

The only way you'll get to 4 years on most coatings is with an annual chemical decon and in years 2-4, you will be using some type of ceramic spray sealant "topper" every few months. By that point, any dirt-shedding or water beading behavior will probably be from the topper and not the coating itself.
Thanks for the info. I’ve never spent money on a real ceramic job. I usually just do the si02 wax stuff.

Picked up my wife’s K5 GT last week and decided that 900 miles was all I could wait to do the initial oil change.

Picked up an OEM filter and a couple jugs of Valvoline 5w-30 after some reading through several informative threads here.

The plastic filter housing doesn’t exactly give me warm and fuzzy feelings but I guess I’ll just keep a close eye on it.

Seemed to be about average on the material in the filter and housing when I inspected it. Hopefully it’s reduced a bunch by the next oil change so I can run a normal OCI from there on out.

After I finished up, I took it for a rip on some Ozark back roads just to make sure everything was good to go for my wife. Even stopped by Uranus to make sure I spoiled her with some carefully packed fudge.

Ceramic coating is next so that I don’t have to work so hard to keep the black looking clean.
View attachment 90745

View attachment 90746
View attachment 90747
Gee looks like it would have gone another 4100 miles.

Plastic works good until it fails.

Sweet new sled you're rocking. Man I love me a shiny black car even though they are a b!tch to keep looking clean. I've been using Armor Shield DIY ceramic coating on my car and you can usually catch a sale to get a decent price.

Sweet new sled you're rocking. Man I love me a shiny black car even though they are a b!tch to keep looking clean. I've been using Armor Shield DIY ceramic coating on my car and you can usually catch a sale to get a decent price.
I’ve used Chemical Guys products and had good luck. I just wanted to have a little less maintenance on this car since it’s black and my wife doesn’t clean the exterior of her cars……….ever.

So it’s just me taking care of her black car that I wish was grey like my Titan.

Last edited:
There's a drain plug at bottom of plastic oil filter housing . Starts at 1:05 in video . Does the drain plug apply to Hyundai and Kia models with s plastic oil filter housing ? You'd think there'd be less mess with it .

By nature you should use ceramic soap and a ceramic rinse aid with every wash. The coatings will last way more than 2 years if you use something decent. A ton of you tube guys run torture tests on countless ceramics that "pass".
My kia stinger gt was black and the paint was SOFT. It would show scratches after a 2 bucket wash.
I did Adams graphene and after many washes it showed 0 marring.
Heres a selfie in my mirror, I mean Kia hood.

Attachments

• 20210227_171625.jpg
    20210227_171625.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210309_185230.jpg
    20210309_185230.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 20
There's a drain plug at bottom of plastic oil filter housing . Starts at 1:05 in video . Does the drain plug apply to Hyundai and Kia models with s plastic oil filter housing ? You'd think there'd be less mess with it .

Yes, the K5 GT (along with the other H/K theta 3 vehicles) use the 26350 2S000 filter which has a drain plug in the canister housing. No mess at all, the drain works very well.

Lots of stuff for an untrained “technician” to over torque, break, or just forget altogether.

Yes, the K5 GT (along with the other H/K theta 3 vehicles) use the 26350 2S000 filter which has a drain plug in the canister housing. Lots of stuff for an untrained “technician” to over torque, break, or just forget altogether.
By nature you should use ceramic soap and a ceramic rinse aid with every wash. The coatings will last way more than 2 years if you use something decent. A ton of you tube guys run torture tests on countless ceramics that "pass".
My kia stinger gt was black and the paint was SOFT. It would show scratches after a 2 bucket wash.
I did Adams graphene and after many washes it showed 0 marring.
Heres a selfie in my mirror, I mean Kia hood.
That looks great. I’d like to see that on my wife’s vehicle without me cleaning on it every day.

Back