"New" K & N Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in one of my local hardware/auto parts stores the other day when I noticed that they were now stocking the K & N filter for my car (HP-1010). I picked it up and to my surprise there was a silicone ADBV staring me in the face. Iguess it might be worth the extra $$$ for these filters now? I'm running a Napa Gold on my car now and the K & N on the wife's car. Nice filter but for a few $$$ less the Napa/Wix filter is hard to beat.
Just my .02 cents.

My '00 Nissan Frontier v6 also uses the HP-1010 from K&N... and my Anti-Drainback Valve (ADV) is orange in color (which i believe signifies silicon?) I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these kinds of things... so I too am very interested in these unfoldings.

I hope these new ones don't take long to find their way into Canada! I'll hold off on buying them in advance for a while (I would usually buy a bunch when Canadian Tire has their 25% off sales)

Has anyone up here bought one from CT with a silicone ADBV yet?

There has been reports of certain ones being silicone, it may be a model by model thing like Motorcraft. Actually almost all the filter makers do it. AC-delco has a few silicone ADBV models.

With a silicone ADBV they are worth more, but I'm not sure about $10-12.

For the price they are charging they should come with a silicone adbv, I wont be buying K&N anymore (only bought a few) since I found out that Purolator Premium Plus filters flow just as well (from oilfilterstudy.com), and I just discoverd (today by pure luck) a Donaldson retailer in my area, since they seem to flow way better than the K&N and Purolator I'm going to go with them.
cheers.gif

I bought 2 Donaldson's @ $4.99 each, I had 2 Purolators but I will give them to my brother for hs next OC's.
grin.gif

[ January 06, 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Jose314 ]

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

With a silicone ADBV they are worth more, but I'm not sure about $10-12.

Well, let's not forget that neat little nut welded on the end of the can....
grin.gif

I have found K&N's at Active Auto Parts for just over 9 bucks a piece. Order 6 of them (to get over the $50.00 mark) and shipping is free.

Bob W.

lol.gif

Bob W.

K&N filters flow a lot of oil but they do a pretty poor job of filtration. Check out greases study. If you need high flow for racing fine. But most of use want good flow and filtration so pick a filter that does both like baldwin or wix.

I posted two UOA's, one with the supposedly free-flowing K&N and one with the supposedly fine-filtering Mobil 1 and the insolubles numbers were identical. I think if you use a quality oil and use a reasonable OCI what filter you use doesn't matter much.

quote:

Originally posted by sdude2k2000:
...and my Anti-Drainback Valve (ADV) is orange in color (which i believe signifies silicon?)

Don't get too comfortable with that horsepucky assumption. Both silicone "rubber" and nitrile are milky white in their natural state. Orange coloration - typically associated with silicone "rubber" - is added pigmentation and could just as easily be applied to nitrile instead of carbon black during manufacture. The same holds true for carbon black. In short, since there are no legalaties involving the color of either finshed compound, the color of items made from either compound tells you NOTHING for certain.

Baldwin really does seem to be a great compromise between flow and filtering---does both well.
wink.gif

And you get that stylish red canister!
grin.gif

She's built like a tank, and can be had here, for about $5 and some pennies.

I think K&N and Mobil 1 are really pricing themselves back against a wall.
mad.gif

Use the Fram XG Synthetic oil filter.

I use them now and man what a beautiful filter to use and the synthetic filter medium flows and filters very well.

BTW, it has a silicone ADBV.

I got an update to this topic that might be kind of interesting.

As I stated in my previous post, I too have an HP-1010 K&N filter that has a silicon anti-drainback valve. However, what I did not notice is that my un-used HP-1010 does NOT use a silicon anti-drainback valve
frown.gif
. Not sure what that's all about...

It's kind of funny if you ask me.... Two filters of the same part #, and same brand, and made in the USA... but with different construction pieces. Kind of odd eh?
dunno.gif

Any input on this?

quote:

Originally posted by ULVER:
Baldwin really does seem to be a great compromise between flow and filtering---does both well.
wink.gif

And you get that stylish red canister!
grin.gif

She's built like a tank, and can be had here, for about $5 and some pennies.

I think K&N and Mobil 1 are really pricing themselves back against a wall.
mad.gif

I was leaning towards this way of thinking, until I bought a Balwdin and found the construction to be substantially less than optimal (short inner tube, exposing the filter pleat pack). And, I could give a rat's patootie about the notion that this short tube was somehow okay.

Also, we have seen UOA's with the same vehicle running the same oil, and K&N's produce low wear rates which are virtually identical to those produced by the high filtration filters.

Besides, is an extra 4-5 bucks a filter that big of a thing? I mean, it's only a couple of beers during happy hour. Yeah, maybe it is a big deal...Hmmm.
lol.gif

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Originally posted by sdude2k2000:

It's kind of funny if you ask me.... Two filters of the same part #, and same brand, and made in the USA... but with different construction pieces. Kind of odd eh?
dunno.gif

Any input on this?

Why do you find that odd? The one with the nitrile ADBV is the older one, then K&N recently upgraded to the silicone ADBV. It's not like they are producing two different types of filters at the same time, you simply have one of the older ones and now one of the newer ones.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
I posted two UOA's, one with the supposedly free-flowing K&N and one with the supposedly fine-filtering Mobil 1 and the insolubles numbers were identical. I think if you use a quality oil and use a reasonable OCI what filter you use doesn't matter much.

It's the particle size of the insolubles that make the difference between a high efficiency filter and a low efficiency filter.

Larger particles mean more wear.

That's why the standard SAE efficiency test uses AC fine dust - it's got known percentages of different sized particles in it so that you can measure the total percentage of particles captured AND the size of the particles captured.

Sorry about this dumb quesrtion, but how do you tell the difference between a nitrile and silicone ADBV?

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:
Sorry about this dumb quesrtion, but how do you tell the difference between a nitrile and silicone ADBV?

The silicone ones are red while the nitrile ones are black.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:

The particle size being counted in a UOA is too small for any FF filter to pick up. You will seldom see a UOA difference between different filters. You need a UOA with particle count to see the difference between filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back