New Jeep Wranglers - New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some who've fit the 4 cylinder Cummins in a Wrangler. There are those that have put the older 6.5 GM diesels in Wranglers. It's surely a squeeze ..but it's been done ..and there isn't an engine bay that isn't a squeeze these days. Engineers love to fill up space for some reason. They'll have special crap molded just to do it too. It's the law, I guess.

MB needs to get some of their real small truck diesels over here. Maybe even Pukeout's turbo diesel would be nice. They just cater to sissies when they choose how to make a jeep. There's surely a market for REAL utility in a jeep. Real heavy duty serious parts ..real gauges ...real options. I'll allow them to keep the nicer ride ..but they can keep most of the mall terrain savvy.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
There are some who've fit the 4 cylinder Cummins in a Wrangler. There are those that have put the older 6.5 GM diesels in Wranglers. It's surely a squeeze ..but it's been done ..and there isn't an engine bay that isn't a squeeze these days. Engineers love to fill up space for some reason. They'll have special crap molded just to do it too. It's the law, I guess.

MB needs to get some of their real small truck diesels over here. Maybe even Pukeout's turbo diesel would be nice. They just cater to sissies when they choose how to make a jeep. There's surely a market for REAL utility in a jeep. Real heavy duty serious parts ..real gauges ...real options. I'll allow them to keep the nicer ride ..but they can keep most of the mall terrain savvy.

I have seen a YJ with a 4BT in person; it's not pretty. The deck is so tall that the owner used a 3" body lift and modified the hood to get it to fit. It idles like what it is: a small industrial turbo diesel. It wouldn't be a good sell to the general public.
The 6.2/6.5 GM diesels are an okay and fairly easy swap, but much like a big block conversion make the Jeep ungainly off road. That is just too much weight up there for my taste.

I agree with you about the direction of Jeep. Daimler has finally taken a well deserved reputation for off road capability and turned it into a clever image based marketing scheme for all weather family cars. I don't see myself ever owning another "new" Jeep product; that is unless they bring back the XJ Cherokee and power it with the 3.0 CRD turbo diesel.

quote:

Originally posted by RKBA:
The new Wrangler is larger and heavier than the previous generation; the four door model significantly so. While the 3.8 might be a reliable and proven powerplant, the HP/TQ numbers are not encouraging. ...

Well, the 3.8 does fine in my 4200+ lb Mini van...

Wranglers are even less aerodynamic than your van. Jeeps and minivans have a fairly different set of demands and expectations of performance on them as well. It isn't a good comparison.

Yes, 99 , I've heard of the Grand Nationals.
By 84, buick had fixed some of the problems with the 3.8. The GN engines were special built blocks to take the power of the turbo.
The regular, old grocery getter was the engine I was referring to.
nono.gif

The old 4.0 would get 200,000
300,000 miles on them and keep going.

Lets see what the new engines do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back