New Jeep Wranglers - New Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

RIP the 4.0 six cylinder.

That engine made it's debut down under in the valiants, in 1966, as a 215, 245, and 265 c.i. option.

The 265, after a trip to the Weber factory in Italy was released with 224Kw (300bhp), capable of 14 second quarter miles, and a very effective race engine.

wrong engine Shannow, The 4.0l Jeep six was based on the AMC six which we saw here in 232 cu. in. (3.8l) and 258 cu. in. (4.2litre) guise in Jeeps. There was a smaller capacity version in cars in the states, can't remember it's size.
I had two Jeeps, one with the 232, the other with the 258 and loved them both. Not quite as much power/torque as a comparable Land Cruise donk (eg. 2F) but could be modified very easily and responded to fuel and exhaust mods really well without losing that bottom end grunt. They really performed like a spark ignition diesel. I still have a few bits for a 258 in the shed including a crank, rods and a brand new set of Sealed Power forged pistons. Just reckoned one day I'd have another CJ and build a nice engine.

Rick,
thanks for the correction.

I read (I think in Australian Muscle Car) that the Oz Hemi was an abandoned truck engine that Oz picked up, and it later evolved into the Jeep.

I've never seen them side by side, so couldn't really tell one way or the other.

Guess it doesn't pay to beleive all you read.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
The Buick 231-cid V-6's were awfully good, and I hope the same for the new Jeep power.

The 231 was never used in a Jeep. Jeep used the Buick 225 "Dauntless" V6. Actually, the only factory installed V6 engines ever used by Jeep was the 225 and the GM 2.8L V6 used in the '84-'86 XJ Cherokee. The 225 did use an 80 pound flywheel though. You could crawl around at a nice 400RPM.

The 4.0L, 232, & 258 are all derived from the ol' 199.

My Cherokee is far from a slug, and with 123K on it, I've never had to do anything other than maintenence to it, and that's not very expensive.
I'm happy to hear of things like 360k on an engine, 'cause I don't intend to part with mine until it won't work anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by Zaedock:

quote:

The Buick 231-cid V-6's were awfully good, and I hope the same for the new Jeep power.

The 231 was never used in a Jeep. Jeep used the Buick 225 "Dauntless" V6. Actually, the only factory installed V6 engines ever used by Jeep was the 225 and the GM 2.8L V6 used in the '84-'86 XJ Cherokee. The 225 did use an 80 pound flywheel though. You could crawl around at a nice 400RPM.

The 4.0L, 232, & 258 are all derived from the ol' 199.

I didn't say they were used in Jeeps, only that they were good motors. I've read plenty of good comments on the GM V6-3.8L engine on this board to believe it also merits mention as a good motor.

The 2.8 V6 was a pile of crap in the Jeep. Maybe in some teeny car, but not in the XJ. The one we had (an '86 or so) was worn out before 100,000 miles. Never had enough power and sucked gas.

Another good engine that I feel from use is the Toyota 2.7l you see in Tacoma's. While not the Jeep I6 it still makes good tq and hp for it's size. I will admit not as much tq off idle as a Jeep but it can still crawl with a load in 4WD Low. By load I mean pulling something behind.

I almost bought a Cherokee, found the driver seat to cramped for myself though. I should have went Grand instead but I then found my oil-burner VW. I buy one in a second though if we got the diesel verisons.

The Buick 3.8/231 V-6 was and is a great motor; since they turned it sideways.
Ward's Auto magazine rated it one of the 10 best engines in the world a few years ago.
During the early 80's, it was crap; weak rings, el-cheapo valve seals, etc.
Got one in my current of three Grand Prixs; great engine.

quote:

Originally posted by dwendt44:
The Buick 3.8/231 V-6 was and is a great motor; since they turned it sideways.
Ward's Auto magazine rated it one of the 10 best engines in the world a few years ago.
During the early 80's, it was crap; weak rings, el-cheapo valve seals, etc.
Got one in my current of three Grand Prixs; great engine.

Guess you never heard of the 84-87 Buick Grand Nationals? They used the 3.8 and it faced the "right" direction...north to south. These little turbo V6s wasted everything Detroit had to offer in the mid to late 80s, including the Vette. They still command respect over 20 years later. Not exactly crap in my book.

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
I like the looks of the 2007 better than the old one. Don't know anything about the 3.8, but the 3.7 that's in the Liberty and p/u is a good engine but could get a little better gas mileage.

The 3.8 V6 going into the new Wrangler is the same engine used in the Pacifica. It's a decent engine that should liven the Jeep up a little around town with the broader powerband. For those that don't want it/refuse to have a Jeep with a V6, wait a little bit and get the Hemi version. Jeep won't admit it, but it will come as a optional engine in due time. As for the I6, it's days were numbered a couple of years ago when DC came to the realization it would never meet upcoming emissions regulations....and the fact that the Wrangler was the only platform to use it wasn't sitting well with the bean counters. Hence it no longer existing after the last 06 4.0 TJ is sold. I too hate to see it go, but time marches on.

GT Mike did you click my link on the first page of this thread...07 Grand Cherokee for sure and I have it from a very reliable source the 300c as well.Fuel ratings for this diesel were around 33 mpg highway 25 city.You get 376ft/pds torque at 2000 rpms!Imagine getting 30mpg pulling 6500lbs!

quote:

Diesel is what is needed. Would love to have a vehicle the size of the Grand with a fine little diesel. And the Dakota pickup.

Absolutely! I've often wondered why DCX didn't come out with a 4-cylinder version of the Ram's Cummins turbodiesel for the Dakota and/or Durango.

I did hear that the '07 Dakota and Grand Cherokee 4.7L gassers are going flex fuel though. That's a welcome addition too. Let's just hope they offer them in large enough quantities for the general public, instead of keeping them "fleet only" like has been the case before with the Caravan and Ram.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Boston:
Is this the same 3.8 used in the vans?

Yes, same basic motor, a few external changes to mount it for RWD/4WD as opposed to FWD. It is a decent motor, not sure how it will handel crawling all day long on a hot trail, but I know the increased oil capacity from 5 qts to 6 qts.
I have also heard this is a temp engine till the "real" Wrangler motor comes out in 2008, but that is more of a rumor.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Boston:
Is this the same 3.8 used in the vans?

Yes, same basic motor, a few external changes to mount it for RWD/4WD as opposed to FWD. It is a decent motor, not sure how it will handel crawling all day long on a hot trail, but I know the increased oil capacity from 5 qts to 6 qts.
I have also heard this is a temp engine till the "real" Wrangler motor comes out in 2008, but that is more of a rumor.

The 4.0L takes 6 quarts to fill. More than likely, being the minivan engine, it has dropped a quart.

I speculate that the JK 4 door will get the 4.7L before the HEMI.

No, it's good the liberties engine is not getting in the Wrangler. My Sis in law has 2 and both had headgasket issues one at 43k the other at 53k miles. She's trading both in for my favored recomended brand.

The new Wrangler is larger and heavier than the previous generation; the four door model significantly so. While the 3.8 might be a reliable and proven powerplant, the HP/TQ numbers are not encouraging. I hope that this engine becomes the 4 cyl. replacement, and a more powerful option (TURBO DIESEL) will be forthcoming.
Considering the direction that Jeep has been taking in the last several years, I don't have much confidence in that.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:

quote:

Diesel is what is needed. Would love to have a vehicle the size of the Grand with a fine little diesel. And the Dakota pickup.

Absolutely! I've often wondered why DCX didn't come out with a 4-cylinder version of the Ram's Cummins turbodiesel for the Dakota and/or Durango.

The Cummins 4BT is a very tall engine and wouldn't fit well in a small truck. It can put out good power and has been used in bread delivery trucks for years, but it has a very narrow powerband and idles too rough for a normal passenger vehicle.

Daimler does however have some other good small diesel engines in the Mercedes parts bin that would be a great addition to the Dodge arsenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back