New Honda Oil Change Question

I just bought a brand new 2019 Honda Insight. It was assembled January of 2019 which means the oil in it is almost 2 years in the oil pan. Is it still a bad thing to change the oil early in a Honda or is it fine as long as it meets the specs?

Also, Honda only says to change the filter every other oil change. I was thinking 5k mike changes with NAPA Synthetic as I own 24 quarts of it already in the recommended 0W20.

For a new car, I would change the filter with the first two OCI. On the Caravan I had some metal bits in the filter pleats and oil after the first oil change at 4000 KM (2600 miles). Then I would leave the filter on for two OCI. What filters are you planning on using?

How much driving are you doing currently?

For a new car, I would change the filter with the first two OCI. On the Caravan I had some metal bits in the filter pleats and oil after the first oil change at 4000 KM (2600 miles). Then I would leave the filter on for two OCI. What filters are you planning on using?

How much driving are you doing currently?

I have had it for a month and put about 1,200 miles on it. I do 100% city driving to and from work 24 mile round trip (it’s an Insight Hybrid 1.5L) and on the weekends we normally take it on the Highway/Interstate to see my parents or wife’s parents out of town. (100ish mile round trip for both)

Yes I know the insight is a hybrid. I would probably change the filter first after 2K miles use a cheaper filter and cut it open if it's a can and have a look at the pleats. Then change the oil and filter again in another 2K miles (4K miles total on the oil) and put a better filter on it like a Fram Ultra with your Napa Synthetic and go from there.

Others will give their preference.

Personally, I would change the oil and filter now just so it was off my mind, but it's not necessary and it probably wouldn't make any difference either way.

But after that you should follow the maintenance minder.

I would run at least 5K on the Factory fill - the honda forums tell you Honda want it in till at least 20% life on the MM because the assembly lube enrichens it with moly which is supposed to ease break in.

The napa syn is fine - I go by the MM on my ridgeline.

Dave

OP, you already posted about this subject on 9/19/20. Maybe you didn't like the BITOG replies. You bought the extended warranty, so at a minimum follow your owners manual regarding oil change miles and/or time (in actual service). Napa synthetic every 5k miles is a good plan, but two 5k intervals would be stretching it on a standard filter. So I'd either use a standard filter for 5K or an extended life filter for 10K. It's a nice vehicle. I hope it serves you well.

Last edited:
On my 2012 Insight I followed the olm.
Mine had oil consumption issues and at 102K miles they did an oil consumption test and saw that it was 2 quarts low after 1000 miles (3.6qt sump). The Honda dealership put in a new motor (well the tech said everything inside the motor will be new) and they said number 3 cylinder was scorched (whatever that means) and had to go through Honda and got a new short block. So basically at a little over 102K miles I basically had a new motor and it didn’t use any oil after that

Even if there are a few metal chips leftover from manufacturing caught in the filter, they won't plug it significantly. (If there are a lot of them, you have worse problems.)

OP, you already posted about this subject on 9/19/20. Maybe you didn't like the BITOG replies. You bought the extended warranty, so at a minimum follow your owners manual regarding oil change miles and/or time (in actual service). Napa synthetic every 5k miles is a good plan, but two 5k intervals would be stretching it on a standard filter. So I'd either use a standard filter for 5K or an extended life filter for 10K.

my last post was more asking about oil change interval with the oil. This one was more about weather Honda still says to leave the FF in for 12k miles before changing because of using special oil

On my 2012 Insight I followed the olm.
Mine had oil consumption issues and at 102K miles they did an oil consumption test and saw that it was 2 quarts low after 1000 miles (3.6qt sump). The Honda dealership put in a new motor (well the tech said everything inside the motor will be new) and they said number 3 cylinder was scorched (whatever that means) and had to go through Honda and got a new short block. So basically at a little over 102K miles I basically had a new motor and it didn’t use any oil after that

Thanks!

my last post was more asking about oil change interval with the oil. This one was more about weather Honda still says to leave the FF in for 12k miles before changing because of using special oil

I dont think any are rated for 12K - I think max is 10 and they tell you to follow the maintenance minder, and dealer have told myself and others they will not change the FF until its down to at least 20%.

I dont think any are rated for 12K - I think max is 10 and they tell you to follow the maintenance minder, and dealer have told myself and others they will not change the FF until its down to at least 20%.

33DF08BE-7302-42AE-8437-8F1CF9B8105B.png

Well thats nice.

It's been extended past what they allow with the 3.5.

Guessing the hybrid might be the key to this.

Back