New, Honda EU2200i inverter generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed today that Honda now offers an EU2200i that has 2200 Watts peak and 1800 Watts continuous, and weighs less than 50 pounds dry, and it has a switch that allows you to turn off the fuel flow and still have the ignition on so you can run the carburetor dry.

I guess with all the competition offering lightweight (under 50 pounds) portable inverter generators that have more than 2000 Watts peak ability that the old Honda EU2000 that had 2000 Watts peak and 1600 Watts continuous, and did not have the ability to turn off the gas to run the carb dry just was not capturing the share of the market that it used to.

I don't want to sound like a Honda commercial, and I am not affiliated with them, but you can find it for $999 the price that the old EU2000i went for, and it retained the ability to chain two units together to double the available Wattage.

I know there are cheaper versions of inverter generators available, but there is something to be said for the reliability, and quietness of Honda, and the availability of parts if it ever does need anything. The old EU2000i was known for the ability to run for more than 2000 hours and still be reliable. And it is very likely the new EU2200i is just as reliable.

Last edited:
What if the 2200i is sold at honda OPE dealers and the 2000i goes to big box stores?

The knock-offs are getting cheaper so Honda will have to figure out what their brand equity gives people.

Idea: More propane options.
Another idea: Some sort of capacitor to start motors better, and allow it to use more of its capacity "on average".

I’m pretty happy with my sub$400 WEN 2kW genny. How many years before I break even on a Honda? I’ll let you know. If this genny doesn’t last forever under my light use, I will certainly consider a Honda, though I’ll likely buy another Chonda.

I just bought the Champion 2000 watt inverter. Champion has an excellent parts distribution (unlike other off brand generators) and these generators are HIGHLY rated, with many getting thousands of hours. Paid $425 for mine, new. I cant stomach paying $1000 for the Honda, when the Champion should do the same thing for less than half. Plus I'm real handy and should be able to keep it running as long as parts are readily available.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Pow...3536i/203791700

The new Honda EU2200i can parallel with the later versions of the 2000.

Interestingly enough, most EU series Honda generators can parallel with each other, regardless of size. Honda does not say so, but it is being done successfully.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I just bought the Champion 2000 watt inverter. Champion has an excellent parts distribution (unlike other off brand generators) and these generators are HIGHLY rated, with many getting thousands of hours. Paid $425 for mine, new.

I bought my Champion 2000 watt inverter gen (the engine is a Mitsubishi design) in 2015 as a "refurb" for $299, and have been overall impressed with it.

I have 2 gripes:

a) even though a "paralleling cord" is available - they won't
b) 1 out of every 7-10 (random) times, in "eco" mode it will not accelerate fast enough to start a 5000 BTU window unit, and dies. This really sucks when you are truing to sleep on a hot night.
The Honda eu2000i will start a 5000 BTu window unit every time.

I was under the impression the Champion engine is a clone of a Yamaha. Yamaha also makes a 79cc OVH motor.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I just bought the Champion 2000 watt inverter. Champion has an excellent parts distribution (unlike other off brand generators) and these generators are HIGHLY rated, with many getting thousands of hours. Paid $425 for mine, new.

I bought my Champion 2000 watt inverter gen (the engine is a Mitsubishi design) in 2015 as a "refurb" for $299, and have been overall impressed with it.

I have 2 gripes:

a) even though a "paralleling cord" is available - they won't
b) 1 out of every 7-10 (random) times, in "eco" mode it will not accelerate fast enough to start a 5000 BTU window unit, and dies. This really sucks when you are truing to sleep on a hot night.
The Honda eu2000i will start a 5000 BTu window unit every time.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I don't want to sound like a Honda commercial, and I am not affiliated with them, but you can find it for $999 the price that the old EU2000i went for, and it retained the ability to chain two units together to double the available Wattage.

I know there are cheaper versions of inverter generators available, but there is something to be said for the reliability, and quietness of Honda, and the availability of parts if it ever does need anything. The old EU2000i was known for the ability to run for more than 2000 hours and still be reliable. And it is very likely the new EU2200i is just as reliable.

"The old EU2000i was known for the ability to run for more than 2000 hours"

I hope so. A quality unit like that should run 10,000 hours if properly maintained.

From what I've read about the Yamaha EF2000is, some have been known to run in excess of 20,000 hours and are still running. Mine is going on 5 years old and already has over 1400 hours on it and it's running great. All I do is oil changes so far.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

"The old EU2000i was known for the ability to run for more than 2000 hours"

I hope so. A quality unit like that should run 10,000 hours if properly maintained.

From what I've read about the Yamaha EF2000is, some have been known to run in excess of 20,000 hours and are still running. Mine is going on 5 years old and already has over 1400 hours on it and it's running great. All I do is oil changes so far.

There is an online site where you can download the owners manual for the Honda EU2200i. I looked at it and one thing that stands out is that they recommend valve adjustments every 200 hours. I have not looked at any information regarding the Yamaha inverters, but if you have over 1400 hours on it and have not checked the valve clearance, it is probably overdue.

JimPghPA:

"if you have over 1400 hours on it and have not checked the valve clearance, it is probably overdue."

From what I've read, if they start easy & run well, don't mess with anything. Just clean air filter, change oil and spark plugs as required.

The following link is an amazing and detailed review of two Yamaha EF2000is units that each had over 18000 hours on them with no valve adjustment. Eighteen thousand hours each!!

If you have time, you should read this:

http://ghost32writer.com/?p=6127

Regarding the link to ghost32writer, I read the entire thing.

According to the link, the Yamaha EU2000i is now made in China and is not anywhere near as reliable as they were when they were made in Japan. They post that there are many negative reviews on Amazon of the now made in China Yamaha EU2000i.

You can tell the made in China ones from the made in Japan ones because the China ones have a small door to remove to access the engine oil, and the Japan ones require you to remove an entire side of the unit to access the engine oil.

Before the writer of the link moved to an area that has grid power, he ended up using a Honda generator because the larger Honda has an electric start and his wife can no longer pull a starter cord, and also because the Honda is more reliable than a Chinese made Yamaha.

Luck for me Jim, my Yamaha was made in Japan. If, by chance my EF2000is is capable of running for 18000 hours, at the rate I'm using mine, it should be good for another 51 years.
grin.gif
I'll be long gone by then.

I'm in agreement with your comments about Chinese built units being inferior although many reviewers claim they're still pretty good. However, I doubt that many of them put a lot of hours on their generators. I hope that Yamaha feels the pinch from making this error.

I know one thing for sure. If I had to buy another Yamaha, it won't be Chinese built. I'll buy used before buying one made in China.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
JimPghPA:

"if you have over 1400 hours on it and have not checked the valve clearance, it is probably overdue."

From what I've read, if they start easy & run well, don't mess with anything. Just clean air filter, change oil and spark plugs as required.

The following link is an amazing and detailed review of two Yamaha EF2000is units that each had over 18000 hours on them with no valve adjustment. Eighteen thousand hours each!!

If you have time, you should read this:

http://ghost32writer.com/?p=6127

Great info...all this on Pennzoil yellow bottle and Slick 50. He'd be scorned on BITOG, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back