New Hemi 5.7L, what oil would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are good engines and a good quality 5w20 or 0w20 sythentic will serve you well.

Just make sure it meets Chrysler specifications while under warranty MS-6395. (IMPORTANT)

Any synthetic oil will be fine for the HEMI, during my OCI with my HEMI Jeep I either 5w-20 or 5w-30. 5w-20 will still protect your engine just fine too, I did a OCI with Mobil 1 AP 5w-20 towing 7,000lbs from CA to VA and the wear level was normal going close to 10k on the oil. I am now using 5w-30 in my HEMI since my wife car use that grade and I want to stick to one grade. To the OP any grade of oil will be fine, choose what make you sleep better at night.

Two points.
1) don't you get at least one free oil change with a new truck
purchase?

2) Consider driving 2000 miles before changing factory fill out.
FF is a blend and with the overdrive top gear, the engine isn't being
worked hard at all. The cylinder cut out (low stress) may
mean that the rings will take linger to wear in completely.

My 2¢

You don't always get a free oil change, I think that Ram offered that in the past, but not on current model year. Other than that it is up to the dealer if they want to include freebies.

Been using PUP 5W-20 and OEM filters in my 2014 Ram with the 5.7L since new. Factory fill out at 1,500 miles. OCIs every 3,000 - 5,000 miles. Oil looks clean as new when drained. Engine is smooth, quiet, and very powerful. Does not use a drop of oil between changes. Now has 21,000 trouble free miles. I will continue to use PUP as long as I own the truck.

I have run 5w30/10w30 in my 2500 Hemi since it was new it was spec'd for 5w20. Right now it has 10w30 in it but it doesn't have MDS. I would run 5W30 Pennzoil or Quaker State.
As far as all the gibbish gook about warranty. There is no way they are going g to tell the difference between 5w30 and 5w20 in that crankcase and the idea that that Minute difference in viscosity would be the difference in a engine failure is ludicrous.
My buddy has a Charger with 5.7 MDS and has run 5w20 and 5w30 with no difference in Pennsylvania in the winter.
I had my truck before the TSB bulletin came out and there was no way I was running 5w20 while towing 10,000 lbs. That's why I started using 5w30/10w30 from the start.
Nevermind the manual then they come out with a TSB to use a heavier oil about two years down the road, so I do know more than a engineer that designed my engine.

Originally Posted By: Tim_S
The 5.7 hemi runs considerably smoother with a more viscous oil than the CAFE spec'd 5W-20.

That would be all I needed to hear if I was facing the same dilemma.

Thanks for all the replies, keep em coming if anyone has anything else to add!

Again, all anecdotal, but Ive seen a bunch of sources mention how much quieter and/or smoother the 5.7L runs with 5W-30. I know its not Chrysler's spec, though. Pretty sure they would never be able to tell anyway (if it came down to a warranty issue), so Im torn between 5W-20 and 5W-30 just because 5W-30 is much more prevalent in different varieties around me.

It looks like any one of the Pennzoil or Quaker State products should be fine. If the PQIA data on QSUD is still accurate, QSUD seems to be the better choice in either -20 or -30, so that might be the way I go (but the day is not over so Ill probably change my mind again)

Thanks again.

-Chris

Originally Posted By: pantygnome
QSUD seems to be the better choice in either -20 or -30, so that might be the way I go (but the day is not over so Ill probably change my mind again)

Don't go with QSUD. Let me save you the agony.

That's all I'm going to say before I get roasted with the flame thrower.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
QSUD seems to be the better choice in either -20 or -30, so that might be the way I go (but the day is not over so Ill probably change my mind again)

Don't go with QSUD. Let me save you the agony.

That's all I'm going to say before I get roasted with the flame thrower.

35.gif

Hello fellow BITOG-ers!

Picked up a RAM with the 5.7: Hemi a few weeks ago. Only has 450 miles on it right now but I started Googling around for recommended oils and fell onto the massive Synth Oil thread on ram forum, along with a thread here about "Hemi tick".

My engine is not ticking (at least not yet), and Id like to keep it that way. I plan on draining the factory fill around 1K miles because I didnt want to go through the winter on it (sometimes nasty up here in Connecticut)

Chrysler specs 5W-20 which Ive heard might be a little thin. I tend to agree, but starting a search for 5W-30 opens up an even larger can of confusion.

My daily drive isnt very long at all (3 miles each way, but I can go "the long way" and make it 6 miles each way) and 80-90% of the mileage on the truck would be city.

If it were YOUR Hemi, what oil would YOU use?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

RTFM and use what is suggested until the warranty is up. Afterwards, whatever you feel like using.
thumbsup2.gif

We ran Castrol Edge 0w-20 in our Charger with the 5.7L, I'd run M1 EP 0w-20 if given the choice however (assuming it is approved, if not, ignore that suggestion).

I have a 2016 Ram Hemi. 14,500 miles and one more free dealer fill (5W-20) probably next week. I'll be using PP 5W-20 after that with mopar filter. I would use PUP, but it's never been available in my area. Would probably use QSUD if hadn't already bought the PP and got the rebates.

It says 5W-20 on the filler cap. As long as there is warranty I will be using an oil that meets Chrysler spec and a mopar filter.

So far no tick and the dealer fill is not synthetic and that's all the info I could get out of them.

I'd keep it synthetic due to the short tripping and the fact that it's brand new. I'm sure you want to keep it that way. Being in CT too, it would make perfect sense to use a 20 grade in winter....and a 30 in summer. While under warranty try to use the highest viscosity 20 grade you can find that still meets mfg specs. If it were my truck I'd follow the warranty....until it expires...or until you have enough proven research to show that a 30 grade would be better for your engine.

After the warranty is up...no brainer imo to step up to a 30 grade. Any of the Sopus oils are fine (QSUD, QS synblend, PP, PUP, Formula Shell Synthetic, Pennz Gold synblend, etc.). I don't see a huge difference in PUP vs. PP. Both are good. And the PP is so readily available and almost always on sale/mfg rebates in play. The recent AAP QSUD clearances could have given you a few years worth of 25c-95c/qt oil.

If you're new to the "oil game," you'll be learning a lot more over the next couple of years, and will probably change your opinion on oils a couple more times. Good luck. We are always learning.

Pantygnome, congrats on your new truck. And welcome to bitog.
Personally, I’d run the factory fill until your maintenance minder goes off. And run a synthetic 5W20 or 0W20 with a Mopar filter. Mopar synthetic is Pennzoil Platinum. If that matters. It’s a good oil. I like Castrol Magnatec and Edge.

I've run PPPP 5W-20 & 0W-20 more than any other oil in my 2012 Ram 5.7L Hemi, as well as more MO-899 oil filters than other brands. When my PP stash runs out I'll run QSUD 5W-20 & 0W-20 from my stash (gold bottle). I had some events in the Great Lakes area during a polar vortex winter that wrre mitigated by using 0W-20 and a base end bypass filter (the Mopar MO-899 in my case). I've run the MO-899 oil filters up to 5K miles & up to 1 year without loss of ADBV function.

In my 2015 Ram I used Pennzoil Platinum but switch last change to Kendall GT synthetic. It really doesn't matter as long as factory specs are met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back