New headlights for my 20 year old VW Passat W8 w/bi-Xenon HID lamps

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Got this car 2 years ago, always wanted one. It's in great shape but the light output was horrible from the fancy bi-xenon HIDs. Color was off so clearly bulbs were going but no light throw in front of the car was the primary issue. Also had issues with the ballasts firing both bulbs on start up. Couldn't drive it at night safely. Found out (I never had HIDs before) that the bowl portion of the projector assembly was "cooked" - all the coating was gone. This is common on these cars b/c the DRL is the HID (dumb). So finally found 2 new old stock housings, replaced all the bulbs (high flasher, parking, turn, and HID), new/used ballasts, and holy cow...amazing upgrade for this beast. Got them aimed and adapted using the scan tool. Seem to be working perfectly and I can see at night again! These are every bit as good as my LED in my newer Atlas and the LED retrofits in my Golf. Went with 6K HID bulbs and Osram Cool Blue Intense parking and highs. I may refurb the old ones with new Morimoto EvoX-R 2.0 projectors that with a small mod will fit the old housings. Finally, to not have this issue again, I pulled the relay for the DRLs so while DRLs are great, not interested in buring my HIDs during the day. Also swapped the OE light switch for a "Euro" switch which allows you to have more control over the lights i.e. parking lights, parking lights w/fogs, lows so now I can run parking/fogs to get visibility in the lower light afternoons/evenings without buring those precious HIDs!

Walk through on these amazing 2003-era lights:

Driving with new setup:

(not mine but same car/lighting) showing "cooked" bowl
FB_IMG_1673783961988.jpg

20230113_233514.jpg
20230113_233518.jpg
20230113_233653.jpg
20230114_134436 (1).jpg

Very nice indeed. However I am quite impressed that your VW has the W8. Just don’t seem them often.
ATMOF, I don’t believe that I have ever seen one. (y)

Very nice indeed. However I am quite impressed that your VW has the W8. Just don’t seem them often.
ATMOF, I don’t believe that I have ever seen one. (y)
Nope - very rare in 2023 to see one much less one in this good of condition. Only if it was one of the 97 6-speeds....

nice ride! i remember disabling my not hid 2001 jetta daytime lights. i have a 2001 TT with hids + it must have been a garage queen as it is now in pa winters, the darkish lens are good + got new OE bulbs not yet installed as i read Hids weaken over time

Looks great!!! Keep all the stock bits, that car will begin to appreciate soon. Collector's car.

Looks great!!! Keep all the stock bits, that car will begin to appreciate soon. Collector's car.
Collectors car...maybe. The 6 spd is for sure.

Don't forget to like and subscribe!

Nope - very rare in 2023 to see one much less one in this good of condition. Only if it was one of the 97 6-speeds....

I actually had one of those 97 come into my shop years ago, and the poor thing was RAGGED. It had almost 200k miles on it at the time.

Back