New head bolts twist off - Anyone Seen This Before?

I have a friend that moved to Oregon years ago. The other day, his little three cylinder Geo commuter car blew the head gasket. The coolant leaked out through a ruptured hose that heats a plate under the carb or something. Anyway, we were talking as he sent me pics of the disassembled and cleaned engine and head. I suggested getting the head milled for flatness but the local machine shop had a four week wait. I also suggested chasing all the holes with a thread file and wire wheeling the head bolt threads if they were not TTY. He figured they were not and cleaned everything and started reassembly with new gaskets.
Turns out, they ARE TTY bolts. He broke one. He got it out and ordered a complete set of head bolts. They came, he lightly oiled the threads and under the bolt heads and started installing. I believe he said the torque spec was 54 lb ft. He did it in three steps. Two of the BRAND NEW bolts also broke. I can't believe there could be two bad bolts in a small batch like that. Anyone?
He said they threaded into the block perfectly. My only other theory is MAYBE he put too much oil on the threads and hydraulic'd em? Not sure if they're blind holes on that thing. When he lived here we built a few engines together so he knows not to get stupid with oil and other things.

I have a friend that moved to Oregon years ago. The other day, his little three cylinder Geo commuter car blew the head gasket. The coolant leaked out through a ruptured hose that heats a plate under the carb or something. Anyway, we were talking as he sent me pics of the disassembled and cleaned engine and head. I suggested getting the head milled for flatness but the local machine shop had a four week wait. I also suggested chasing all the holes with a thread file and wire wheeling the head bolt threads if they were not TTY. He figured they were not and cleaned everything and started reassembly with new gaskets.
Turns out, they ARE TTY bolts. He broke one. He got it out and ordered a complete set of head bolts. They came, he lightly oiled the threads and under the bolt heads and started installing. I believe he said the torque spec was 54 lb ft. He did it in three steps. Two of the BRAND NEW bolts also broke. I can't believe there could be two bad bolts in a small batch like that. Anyone?
He said they threaded into the block perfectly. My only other theory is MAYBE he put too much oil on the threads and hydraulic'd em? Not sure if they're blind holes on that thing. When he lived here we built a few engines together so he knows not to get stupid with oil and other things.
Wonder if his torque wrench is off? I assume the 54lb-ft is also dry, if he's using a lube, that figure needs to be reduced.

I have no idea. The manual and the engine are in Oregon. I was offering moral support over the phone from NY. I just told him what I would do.

Do they ever say not to do that?

^^^ The service manual should be very specific on head bolt installation and torque, and will say if threads should be dry or lubed.

I just sent him a text. I'm under the impression he did this without a manual but he did know the torque spec.

He hasn't answered me yet. He's probably clear across the country bangin' his head against the wall because they're supposed to be dry.

I found a snapshot of the FSM, it does show 54lb-ft, but, there's no mention of the threads being oiled. I also found the sequence.

He's got north of 300,000 on it. It gets insane gas mileage. He also has an F150 but he only drives that when he has to.

Back