new generator oil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3KW HF generator with a Chonda engine, the brand name is Chicago Electric. I followed the instruction manual, which had I believe a 5hr. run-in then change the oil. To make things easier for supply and make the engine easier to start in any weather, I use M1 5W-40 diesel oil. I run it once a quarter for 20-30 minutes with a 2KW load. About every other year I change the oil. Just for grips and grins.
When my stash of 15W-40 is gone or sold, I'll switch my riding mower to the same. That way I only need to buy a gallon for all year, and any leftover goes into the truck.

So it is ok to run a diesel oil in a gas engine like rotella? also these units don't have oil filters correct?

Yes I think it is and we have been running rotella T6 for a few years from lawn mowers to ford/chevy big block engines plus the diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: Samf333
So it is ok to run a diesel oil in a gas engine like rotella? also these units don't have oil filters correct?

Diesel oils tend to be dual rated for both diesel and gasoline so they can be used in both.
And I'm not sure exactly the model in question but all of ours are splash lubricated so no oil fIlter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back