New "Frampa" commercials by Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I am a curmudgeon. I have never bought any oil or filter because of a commercial. It looks like Fram is going in the direction of Castrol with ads that make no sense.

If their intent was to get people to talk about the ad and remember it, they succeeded. As dumb as it is I think it might help boost sales a bit.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
They just need to do one about the gold Fram Ultra.... It's the gold one...

Why have cheap hotdogs when you could have filet mignon??

The Ultras have always been a small percentage of their business from what I understand. Huge percentages of people shop at the bottom of the price range here

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The Supertech filters are probably better than the bottom of the line Frams they are advertising. Also - usually the fram tough gard is the cheapest filter!

Actually the orange frams are some of the highest efficiency budget filters on the market, slightly higher efficiency than any of even the top of the line Wix/Napa Gold.

The tough guards are always more expensive where I shop. TG is just under $6 and orange can just under $4 going by Walmart prices.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If their intent was to get people to talk about the ad and remember it, they succeeded. As dumb as it is I think it might help boost sales a bit.

Castrol sales should be through the roof then with those really dumb commercials.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Castrol sales should be through the roof then with those really dumb commercials.

I haven't seen one in quite a while, their products do sell well though. Their products have gotten some nice reviews here. In the not so distant past Castrol was a Bitog punching bag.

I hate it when a product I'm already using brings our a commercial that I find
stupid and offensive. It makes me question if I should continue to use that product
or stop buying it as my small way of protest.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
stupid and offensive. It makes me question if I should continue to use that product

I can see your point, there are commercials that annoy me too, but if the product is good and priced right I stick with it.

I agree, that concept bugs me as well.

Just because it's the dude from Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad doesn't mean I'm going to let a Fram anywhere near my engine.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I agree, that concept bugs me as well.

Yeah, the commercials could have the opposite of the desired effect and cause some people to consider choosing something other than FRAM.

The FRAM EG filter for my Elantra is between $5 and $6, and the TG filter is between $6 and $7 ... so no, the EG filter is not a good deal for me in that case.

I can sorta see their marketing meeting... hey, how come Do-it-for-me is up to 85% when it was 70% a generation ago? Everyone has a grandpa who was handy, he changed his own oil. How can we draw a correlation to old school being cool again?

Meanwhile I'm a middle aged old guy and I remember when these ads came out:

I found these commercials funny, and it is clear what they are advertising. I suspect distribution will be limited to car related YouTube videos, and maybe during races or other car related shows if they decide to go to TV with this campaign. No ad campaign will ever appear to everyone, but it got us talking so it has already worked to some extent.

If they spent money for Mike Ehrmantrout these ads will get semi-general distribution. Nascar, WWE, baseball, that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back