New fram ultra vs tough guard efficiency data

No bigger ultra user than me.
That said we all have many options.
I'm not losing sleep over this.

The EG is a great filter.
The main advantage of the ultra was for pia. remote locations.
15-20k use and many only ran them 5-7 k anyway.
I'm not losing any sleep over it either. I was a big Fram user/fan boy. I must say I'm disappointed, but I want to be sure before I write them off like I did with Purolator. Here's a case where having a small stash pays off. ;)

As long as the new Ultras don't show some kind of construction weakness in cold weather use when delta-p is highest on very cold start-ups, then those concerns will be addressed. If a bunch of C&Ps show some ugliness and torn media ... that won't go over well.

No bigger ultra user than me.
That said we all have many options.
I'm not losing sleep over this.

The EG is a great filter.
The main advantage of the ultra was for pia. remote locations.
15-20k use and many only ran them 5-7 k anyway.

I do go to 20K. Hondas get a new one every other oil change.

Just you wait - - I predict we shall see plastic cage "E-core" Fram Ultras in the future !!!

It's entirely likely, actually.
I actually wouldn't mind that design, as long as the eCore cage was done right with small pleat spacing and it still had metal end caps.

Fiber end caps are fine ,considering where the pressure is applied in the filter element.

As long as the new Ultras don't show some kind of construction weakness in cold weather use when delta-p is highest on very cold start-ups, then those concerns will be addressed. If a bunch of C&Ps show some ugliness and torn media ... that won't go over well.
No kidding. I'm worried about this here in Alaska. It was 10 degs F last night at my place. The Forecast tonight is for 4 to 8 inches of snow (11/10/2021). Winter is just starting, and I expect to see -20 to -35 degs F for a few weeks this winter yet.

My stash includes 4 each XG3506 filters for winter use, and a few taller Wix and Bosch units for summers, so I'm not hurting yet. We'll have to see how these new Ultra's fare.

My truck has a Boss on it for this winter. I will be cutting and inspecting that Boss come spring.

All of my filters are kept high and dry in a HVAC-controlled mud room.

Last edited:
My stash includes 4 each XG3506 filters for winter use, and a few taller Wix and Bosch units for summers, so I'm not hurting yet. We'll have to see how these new Ultra's fare.
Are the Ultras you have the new ones without the wire backed media?

Good ... but if they were the new ones your use conditions would be a good test of the media robustness.
Yes, they would.

If you remember a recent filter thread of mine, I had the very first filter cut open and inspected by me fail during this past summer and fall season -- a Baldwin B31.

Back