New Fram I found..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell me what you think of this puppy, guys.

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0120.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I don't see an ADBV?

Nor do I

Go with a purolator, or a motorcraft, I dont even look at frams anymore

These are rebranded ecores from Champ Labs. You can tell by the baseplate and the adbv/bypass combo up top.

I wouldn't use them unless you can confirm without a doubt that all pleats are tight and even. Otherwise you risk the media tearing, which happened to me.

Originally Posted By: webfors
These are rebranded ecores from Champ Labs. You can tell by the baseplate and the adbv/bypass combo up top.

I wouldn't use them unless you can confirm without a doubt that all pleats are tight and even. Otherwise you risk the media tearing, which happened to me.

Ahh the Honeywell/Champion Merger.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I don't see an ADBV?

It actually has. Last pics shows the holes for the combo antidrainback valve/bypass valve.

Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time, now that Champ Labs and Fram are both owned by the same company. That's clearly a Champ Labs ecore with a Fram label.

I wondered when we'd start seeing designs bleeding over from one brand to another.

BTW - for those who don't know, a company called the Rank Group in New Zealand purchased both Champ Labs and Fram. But, most of you probably already knew that.

http://www.rankgroup.co.nz/

To the OP-
Was it in a box or was it just on the shelf? I also wonder if perhaps someone from the tire and lube carried it over for some reason and left it.

I was just at WM a couple days ago and didn't see anything but regular Fram and Puro Classics at that store.

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like is the combo valve. Nice concept but it you get an engineer aside to talk off-the-record, they will badmouth the current combo designs. What I wonder is whether it uses Fram or Champ media?

Yep, the Champ/Fram integration is full steam ahead.

If it's an ecore, it's champ media. It will be interesting to see the design changes, if any, over the next couple of years. Are they going to integrate their R&D team, consolidate designs into one, or... ?

Yes, Matter of time before we see a Fram Ultra Guard Ultimate Mega Extended Extension Guard Filter, with a useless 1 inch nut welded to the end, LOL

They are integrating labs, I saw that much in my tour, and have moved some equipment to Perrysburg from Champ in Illinois. They are still utilizing some Champ facilities there, though I don't recall which ones.

I've cut open three Ecores. Two of them had a rectangular hole in the media. These were either manufacturing defects or possibly from oil pressure forcing the media through the large, rectangular holes in the center tube. Admittedly, that's a very small sample size but a 66% failure rate isn't too encouraging. I stay away from them.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
I've cut open three Ecores. Two of them had a rectangular hole in the media. These were either manufacturing defects or possibly from oil pressure forcing the media through the large, rectangular holes in the center tube. Admittedly, that's a very small sample size but a 66% failure rate isn't too encouraging. I stay away from them.

Bingo, that's the biggest risk with the ecore design. Here's my pics from a while back when I had my first experience with the ecore hole:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1807522&page=1

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
These were on the shelf? I wonder if this is what the walmart lube center uses.

If it was on the shelf, I would be curious as to where it falls price wise with the other Frams.

I will not use an e-core. Tried one once and I made it 6 days before I pulled it. It was leaking from the baseplate seam, gave me an absolutely horrid death rattle once at start up and upon removal I could already see the media flattening in one spot (the precursor to blow out IMO).

All that in just 200 miles of use over 6 days, no thanks!

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
BCOD??
That's the dreaded ECOD, or E-core Can Of Death-the dreaded combination of plastic center cage and "engineered media" endcaps-the filter that proves that everything made in China (Driveworks filters) aren't necessarily evil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back