New F-150 2.7 EB recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tcp71
The 3.0 has the major difference of being a lighter duty, all aluminum block, engine meant for transverse applications. The 2.7 was designed for a lot heavier use in longitudinal mounting. The 2.7 has a Compacted Graphite (CGI) engine block for a reason, like the 6.7 diesel.

And just to be clear it is a compacted graphite iron block, not compacted graphite. The block isn't made out of carbon, it's made out of cast iron. The carbon inclusions are of a different form and shape than in typical gray iron.

The first time I saw someone leave out the word "iron" I was like what, a graphite block?? How do they keep that from starting on fire??

Great engine and the OC's are easy. I keep the invoices and a log in case I'd even need them.

I'm not a big fan of others doing that kind of work on my vehicle. It ends up bothering me that I don't know exactly what was done or used.

Some good advice in here and some comments that make me shake my head.

Any 5w30 meeting the ford spec will work fine when changed regularly. I've had dealer changes with Motorcraft oil and now I do my own with Castrol Magnatec. I have not had any messes to clean up in my setup, (16 Supercrew 4x4). Others report otherwise.

I've changed my oil in zero degree weather with no issues and no tools on the plastic plug. Still on the original nearly 4years in. Similarly, I've not had issues with the o rings on the cartridge filter either. No prewarming etc needed.

If you go dealer or quickie lubes, watch the change times. A dealer tried to tell me they were done in 10 minutes and sheepishly admitted they knew better when I called them on it. My truck was over filled by about 4 quarts that time.

Comments about the 2.7 being "wimpy" in the F150 are at best uninformed. Yes, if you tow regularly above 6 000 lbs, the 5.0 or 3.5 would be a better choice. Reality is the 2.7 meets the vast majority of 1/2 ton users needs today, and does it in a manner that blows the old 5.4 out of the water. The fact tow ratings are lower don't make the 2.7 wimpy or the 3.5 just better. All depends on ones needs.

Just grabbed these for $15 each at TSC
For the BiL's F150 eb

4433DD2F-F1F8-4825-862A-2C4928FED6A6.jpeg

Interesting information, thanks.

Haven't crawled under the truck yet but have read reports of draining oil making a mess- would a piece of channel or similar be helpful for directing the oil?

Going to grab a spare drain plug just in case, and maybe a filter or two.

I'll probably do the first change at 1500 and then go to 5k after that.

Leaning toward MC semi syn for the first change, meets the required spec and may facilitate ring seal etc for the next 3500.

Plus that gives me time to research which full synthetic to use.

Originally Posted by mattri
Interesting information, thanks.

Haven't crawled under the truck yet but have read reports of draining oil making a mess- would a piece of channel or similar be helpful for directing the oil?

Going to grab a spare drain plug just in case, and maybe a filter or two.

I'll probably do the first change at 1500 and then go to 5k after that.

Leaning toward MC semi syn for the first change, meets the required spec and may facilitate ring seal etc for the next 3500.

Plus that gives me time to research which full synthetic to use.

I really don't think the oil change on the 2.7 is bad at all. I use a small bucket to catch the oil, and hold it up fairly close to the drain plug with one hand while pulling the plug out with the other. Once the first initial rush of oil comes out I transition the bucket to the floor, not really messy at all. My drain plug still works fine, but I'll probably pick up an extra one eventually just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back