New Extended Guard(XG) Fram filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
Make no mistake, this is a very rugged, durable filter that is equal to or better than anything else out there in terms of construction quality.
I don't think anyone here would argue that the XG is not a high quality filter, it just also has a very high cost. I can buy 3 Motorcraft FL820S filters for the price of a single FRAM XG...can I leave it on my motor for 3 times as long?

If FRAM cut their prices in half across the board, they'd be correctly priced.

Same with amsoil! I hate that people say "I wish fram would come out with a well built filter" or "They are ok but you can get a better filter for less money" Well this filter isent expensive and I dont really know of any filter that has a better price to value, its also very well made. There is so much anti fram hype out there for no reason at all except they have heard other people say that fram sucks.

Im gonna build a reverse osmosis oil filter out of antimantium or what ever the [censored] they made wolverine out of in that movie and then add a 3ply filter because thats better than wussy 2 ply (this will become the same as the progression from one blade razers to the 4 or 5 blade you see today) then with much grunting, beer drinking and girls in swimsuits touching my new oil filter I will have the perfect filter until some jack a$$ on here says that its no good because their friends mothers brother had an oil filter just like that and it broke and caused the engine to fail.

Quote:
Same with amsoil! I hate that people say "I wish fram would come out with a well built filter" or "They are ok but you can get a better filter for less money" Well this filter isent expensive and I dont really know of any filter that has a better price to value, its also very well made. There is so much anti fram hype out there for no reason at all except they have heard other people say that fram sucks.

Well, ryland ..as I said in another thread, no one likes to feel like they were taken to the cleaners. No one likes to reward a job well done when the same vendor was boning you and making large while giving you the cheapest that they could produce. It's not like that discovery isn't going to carry over to the rest of their oil filter line.

The fact that they got such a high $$ figure for the cheapest filter on the market automatically bumps the legit offerings into even high orbit.

Whatever you buy. Get your money's worth out of it. A PureOne will not be quite as robust as the EXTENDED GUARD ..but also won't cost as much ..and is just dandy.

So ..now the prospective Fram purchaser has to go LARGE to buy a filter that's of respectable construction ..that they may never get their money's worth out of unless it's calculated in peace of mind.

There was a thread here a while ago where a member did a study between Amsoil Eao and Fram XG with particle counts. In the end the determination was that the virgin oil was at ISO=6 and Amsoil Eao kept the oil at ISO=6(as virgin oil)and Fram was at ISO=8. That was the older Fram XG filter with semi-synthetic media(1 layer) and a metal backing.

I have personally used Fram XG filters since I was able to get them for very cheap and I always had good UOA's with them. No start-up rattle or indication of dry starts.

I am inclined to try the XG7317 which is the only XG filter for a '09 Acura TL but it is a tiny tiny filter. Looks like a thimble!

Originally Posted By: deven

I am inclined to try the XG7317 which is the only XG filter for a '09 Acura TL but it is a tiny tiny filter. Looks like a thimble!

I just installed this filter on my 2003 Accord 2.4 last weekend. The filter is very robust feeling, and has a new gold finish, instead of previous silver. No start up noise is about all that I can report, but I feel very confident that this filter will easily go the 10K mile OCI that I run on the Honda with RP 5w-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ryland
. . .

Well, for the record, I still maintain that most FRAMs are, in fact, lower quality products for the price. And I don't say this "for no reason at all except they have heard other people say that fram sucks". No, in fact, I've cut a number of them apart and examined the innards up close and personal. You seem to keep overlooking the FACT that many of us have done this. And I'm happy to share the photographic evidence here and elsewhere. Those who have not cut up a FRAM, but have seen the pictures, have a lot more to go on than, "just 'cuz someone on the net said so...

Originally Posted By: ryland
Im gonna build a reverse osmosis oil filter out of antimantium or what ever the [censored] they made wolverine out of in that movie and then add a 3ply filter because thats better than wussy 2 ply (this will become the same as the progression from one blade razers to the 4 or 5 blade you see today) then with much grunting, beer drinking and girls in swimsuits touching my new oil filter I will have the perfect filter until some jack {Admin Note: obvious attempts to defeat the word filter are unacceptable} on here says that its no good because their friends mothers brother had an oil filter just like that and it broke and caused the engine to fail.

Oh come on -- let's keep it real. That last paragraph is pure nonsense on the very same level that you claim the Fram critics occupy. It's also a strong indicator that you really don't have any substance with which to support what you are claiming. Look, the XGs do seem to be of more substantial construction than the other flimsy Fram stuff. That's something that's actually worth talking about, as compared to this imaginary blah-blah that you're using to try to undercut the legitimate critics of Fram.

Originally Posted By: D Bone
Originally Posted By: deven

I just installed this filter on my 2003 Accord 2.4 last weekend. The filter is very robust feeling, and has a new gold finish, instead of previous silver. No start up noise is about all that I can report, but I feel very confident that this filter will easily go the 10K mile OCI that I run on the Honda with RP 5w-20.

Frankly, I'm glad that you're pleased with it. That's really what counts in the end. Can't resist gigging you with this however: does the color of the can really matter?
wink.gif

Guess it's time for me to go out, get one, and cut it to pieces...
cheers3.gif

I would like to add and which may be off topic but pick the oil filter for how you are going to run it. A cheap Fram is all you need for a 3,000 mile oil change interval . If you do mega mile Amsoil oil changes their trick filters are the way to go. And the other filters will fit in between.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I would like to add and which may be off topic but pick the oil filter for how you are going to run it. A cheap Fram is all you need for a 3,000 mile oil change interval . If you do mega mile Amsoil oil changes their trick filters are the way to go. And the other filters will fit in between.

Perhaps so. On the other hand, for me, it keeps coming back to the same idea -- if I can get a much more robust Bosch or Puro for the same money as a Fram, why on earth would I even bother with a Fram? Irrespective of functionality, I'm still bugged by the idea of getting less for the same money. Now, if they sold standard Frams for $1.99, I might consider using one for a very short OCI.

I agree with value for the $$$ I kinda like the Super Tech filters for the value. They seem to work !! I do not use the orange can. I will use the either Frams T.G. or X.G. as a convience purchase.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Which leads me to an interesting question- what about cartridge filters?

Good question. At least in the case of the 2GR Toyota engine, it's a different thing. The centertube/pleat junction is where the strongly set barrier is, and the centertube is going nowhere (at least nowhere without all the pleats firmly attached to it. Also, the bypass setup is different. It's not a part of or attached to the element as it is in many spin-on filters. Additionally, there's no concern about base plates with the cartridges.

Partsource has a sale on the XG filters right now ($9.99 instead of $12.99) so I bought one today. The one I have doesn't say that the media is 2 plies though, so how does this older design compare to the newest one? Should I have waited until my upcoming trip to Buffalo, NY and picked up one of the new XG filters instead?

The only difference visually from the pictures on the box itself is that they added the orange second ply behind the semi-synthetic media. I have used the old ones and I had the best UOA using those XG's. The Wal-mart's here sell them for $7.XX so you might want to get them from Buffalo if the price is the same.

Last edited:
Comparing the filtering efficiency of the tough guard with the extended guard, an interesting case can be made that designing a long life filter lowers the initial filtering efficiency, at least in cases where there is a distinct volume limit of how much media can be used.

I think this is something we see when looking at the Amsoil EAO and the M1 filter particle count comparisons, though both of those filters are extended drain types...

I may have made an error in another post of mine when talking about the EG, but before I correct myself I would love to see someone cut one of these open. Until then, I won't trust their build quality until I see they have improved upon the bypass valve and the ADBV design....and lets not even start on the cardboard end caps.
That said, if this filter uses steel end caps...that says something about Frams confidence in their card board units (or they coulnd't bond the filter media backing mesh to cardboard). Lol, for the price I'll take an M1, K&N, or even a Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Comparing the filtering efficiency of the tough guard with the extended guard, an interesting case can be made that designing a long life filter lowers the initial filtering efficiency, at least in cases where there is a distinct volume limit of how much media can be used.

I think this is something we see when looking at the Amsoil EAO and the M1 filter particle count comparisons, though both of those filters are extended drain types...

I may have made an error in another post of mine when talking about the EG, but before I correct myself I would love to see someone cut one of these open. Until then, I won't trust their build quality until I see they have improved upon the bypass valve and the ADBV design....and lets not even start on the cardboard end caps.
That said, if this filter uses steel end caps...that says something about Frams confidence in their card board units (or they coulnd't bond the filter media backing mesh to cardboard). Lol, for the price I'll take an M1, K&N, or even a Royal Purple.

See Asiancivicmaniac's pics in this thread about 1/2 way down.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1376666&fpart=1

Originally Posted By: Patman
Partsource has a sale on the XG filters right now ($9.99 instead of $12.99) so I bought one today. The one I have doesn't say that the media is 2 plies though, so how does this older design compare to the newest one? Should I have waited until my upcoming trip to Buffalo, NY and picked up one of the new XG filters instead?

So I took my trip across the border today (I was in Niagara Falls actually, in the area near the airport) and stopped off at Advance Auto and Autozone and neither of them had the XG filters, where do you guys usually spot them? There was also a Target in that area, would I have found one there? Hopefully we get the new style ones before my next oil change.

And at $7.97 it's not a bad deal. Dual layer media with a mesh backing, a silicone ADBV and a heavy can. Probably built as well as anything from Champ, but it may not filter as well.

I still wonder, did they recently add the 2ply media, or have these filters always had that and now they are just revamping the box to make it look like they've redesigned these filters? It would be interesting to see an old one cut open vs a new one to see if there is a difference between the two.

On Fram's filter site, read the small print. In citing the filtration efficiency for ALL of their oil filters, Fram uses the symbol ">" 20 microns. That symbol means "greater than." So while everyone else says at 20 microns (except Royal Purple - they say 25 microns), Fram is using the old ploy of small print in trying to compete with others. Just another reason I avoid Fram in all things.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back