New Engines and Oil Life Monitors

I'm worried about the situation my sister puts herself in by relying on the OLM in her 2015 Highlander. She's a tightwad when it comes to oil changes, and she's determined to stick to what her dealership, and OLM tell her to do (10,000 miles). She's not one to pop the hood and check it herself, which I'm afraid might be her undoing. My fear is that one day that engine is going to start consuming, and 6 quarts won't get her to 10,000 miles. She's got a CPO warranty on it, but who wants to go through that drama, even if it's covered? Speaking for myself, I haven't trusted an OLM since my sister-in-law's mini-fight with GM over her Equinox's timing chain. GM has since adjusted the OLM algorithms in the Equinox to call for earlier oil changes, but that gives me no comfort. The odometer and the calendar tell me when it's time.

My 2016 Buick with the 3.6L engine is estimating a 4500-mile OCI. I drive more city than highway, and since my change in December '20 it's been chilly here until recently, so that may explain some of it. But I've never had a car that called for more than about 5000-6000 OCI.

After an oil change, I drove my 04 avalanche (bed full of stuff, no towing) 1600 miles to another state, did a ton of running around there (no short trips), and then back home. Total of approx 6500 miles in 3 weeks time. OLM went from 100% to 48% in that time. I believe I had vanilla Mobil 1 10w30 in the sump. I went ahead and changed the oil at around 7k miles OLM was still 48%. At this rate, I think the GM OLM would have taken me to approx 10k miles on the oil hitting 0%

My 2016 Buick with the 3.6L engine is estimating a 4500-mile OCI. I drive more city than highway, and since my change in December '20 it's been chilly here until recently, so that may explain some of it. But I've never had a car that called for more than about 5000-6000 OCI.
My 2008 Buick is similar. Right now I have about 2100 miles on this OC since mid April and the OLM is at 55% but as you mention this includes winter warm up time. So I'm guessing it would be at 0% around 5k which would make sense with short tripping and all city miles, just not going to run it over a year.

Back