NEW ECOBOOST V-6 ENDURES ENGINE BOOT CAMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
The turbo on my Golf TDI is oil-cooled.

I wonder if water-cooling is the best. Cooling system failures are more common than oil pressure problems.

I would have sworn the TDI turbo had coolant flow as well. And if its just oil than the oil is there for lubrication with some cooling as a side effect.

Quote:
The new design means that EcoBoost drivers don’t need to observe special operating precautions, such as idling the engine before switching it off.

What about taking it easy before the oil warms up? Is that also no longer necessary or do they have some built-in mechanism that prevents the turbos from running until the engine is at operating temp?

Besides, the no need for "idling the engine before switching it off" isn't such a new concept. Many cars with turbos have after-run cooling pumps to continue circulating the coolant after engine has been switched off.

They may just do what BMW does and limit your rpm until the engine is warm so you dont beat on it cold. And yes some newer turbos circulate coolant to help it cool off but the old ones just had a reminder sticker on the visor. I had turbo timers on mine and people would always run after me to let me know I had left the engine running.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
They may just do what BMW does and limit your rpm until the engine is warm so you dont beat on it cold.

I wonder at what RPM these turbos start kicking in. The one in my old 1.8T would start producing boost at just under 2k rpm.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
The turbo on my Golf TDI is oil-cooled.

I wonder if water-cooling is the best. Cooling system failures are more common than oil pressure problems.

I would have sworn the TDI turbo had coolant flow as well. And if its just oil than the oil is there for lubrication with some cooling as a side effect.

The TDI turbo can get hot, especially when towing or climbing long grades at high speed. But they also cool down quickly. Not just from oil cooling -- two minutes at idle can drop the EGT by hundreds of degrees.

They may just do what BMW does and limit your rpm until the engine is warm so you dont beat on it cold. And yes some newer turbos circulate coolant to help it cool off but the old ones just had a reminder sticker on the visor. I had turbo timers on mine and people would always run after me to let me know I had left the engine running.

Bingo -new diesel school buses do this and I suspect the heavy duty diesel pick ups as well

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
I've said this many times. The proliferation of "mass-market" turbocharged engines is going to suck for used car buyers.

I don't care how well the engines are designed. The way 90% of all American's take care of their cars... I would not want to buy a used turbocharged car (ANY type) with more than probably 50k of abuse
I agree.

VW used that on the VR6s to cool down the motor after shutdown, but if that pump goes out...

I remember changing oil in a 1.8T Beetle owned by a girl. It saw only conventional 5W-30 and let's just say the oil resembled hot tar...

A good system would be to add a very annoying warning beeper of sorts, EVERY time that typical dumb american starts his car, if he's beyond the life-cycle of his OLM.

Clever, no?
grin2.gif
`

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
A good system would be to add a very annoying warning beeper of sorts, EVERY time that typical dumb american starts his car, if he's beyond the life-cycle of his OLM.

Clever, no?
grin2.gif
`

Hey, you stole my idea
mad.gif

I'll let the Law Enforcement Crowd test this new ECOBOOST V6...There is no test better then the Boot Camp of law enforcement.

Being they just ordered a ton of new CVPI's down here it might me awhile before they get them down here by me.

"The Road Cycle Durability test, for example, is designed to replicate real-world customer driving and vehicle maintenance patterns. For this test, engines with EcoBoost technology were subjected to 1,000 cold starts, followed by sustained operation at peak torque and peak power. During the course of the test, engine coolant temperatures ranged from 12 degrees Celsius (about 53 degrees Fahrenheit) to 95 degrees Celsius (203 degrees Fahrenheit)."...

This is far from "real-world" cold starts in a canadian way. I wish they had performed this test starting from temperatures as low as -25C or lower and then measure wear, etc.

And this:
"With its twin turbochargers, the EcoBoost V-6 swallows about 25 percent more air than its normally aspirated cousin, the 3.5-liter Duratec V-6."...

If theory is correct, if you swallow 25% more air, don't you need 25% more fuel to go with it?

Fuel economy numbers are bound to look good in labs at low revs but in real life, I doubt they'll be much better than a comparatively larger (V8) NA engine.

You will have the fuel economy of the V6, but the power of the V8. But you won't have both at the same time.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
You will have the fuel economy of the V6, but the power of the V8. But you won't have both at the same time.

It's a good way to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back