*NEW* DELO 600 ADF

Messages
99
Location
SC
Originally Posted by BBDartCA
Ash is a byproduct from soot regeneration.
It is the inoxidizable and nonvolatile remnant. Mostly metallic and for the most part originates from lubricant additives like Calcium and Zinc. Soot is the typical term for carbonaceous material that combusted in the regen cycle. If you want to say ash is a byproduct of soot regeneration, you are lumping this carbonaceous material and the metallic material into one thing and calling it soot. It's just semantics but I think we agree on the concept.
 

dnewton3

Staff member
Messages
8,459
Location
Indianapolis, IN
Originally Posted by BillyE
My point is that Chevron is not making a claim as to fewer DPF regenerations. Your point is that in the event of DPF plugging failure, more regenerations may be initiated by the ECM. I understand that but instead I look at it as this new oil is purported to allow a longer life of the DPF before this happens. This is also how Chevron has phrased it. The reason I'm choosing to say it this way is that an oil change to this new oil cannot by itself change the regen cycle to any significant extent. It probably will change the regen cycle after you have run the oil for dozens of OCIs and have not serviced the DPF. I guess I started from the assumption that the DPF would be serviced according to the manufacturer recommendations, which are generally specified at an interval so as to not impact performance (regens or otherwise). This oil would allow the manufacturer to extend that DPF service interval, or possibly allow for a redesign of the DPF unit itself. However you want to state it, do we agree that a single oil change with this new oil will not have any significant impact on fuel economy or regen cycle, within that single OCI?
You are correct; in that link to that article, Chevron did not specifically state the lube would reduce regens. They stated that it would clog the DPF less. They also state it will retain fuel consumption. As I have already stated, the dP across the DPF triggers regens. The less it clogs, the lower the dP, the fewer the regens. Also, the fewer regens, the less fuel consumed. I'm smart enough to read in-between the lines. I would agree the sensible gain in improvement will likely come after a few OCIs. How many? I don't know because they didn't say. But a 3% gain in fuel retention and 2.5 longer span in clogging is worth the committment to using the lube. And again, if you pair it with a FBC, there's probably a very good chance one can really cut down on the regens and extend DPF lifecycle. If you only drive your Dmax or PSD 4k miles a year, you probably won't see much advantage very soon. But if you use the diesel every day, I suspect the advantages will reveal themselves reasonably quickly.
 
Last edited:
Messages
123
Location
Louisiana
I think in this day and age it is certainly possible to come up with better wear and anti oxidant additives than what have been used in the past. I applaud Delo-Chevron for trying. Advances are being made in every technology daily nowadays. I will be anxiously waiting for OCI's from the Major Engine manufacturers. I've seen personally the difference engine oil can make in DPF longevity.
 
Messages
99
Location
SC
Originally Posted by dnewton3
I'm smart enough to read in-between the lines.
Me too. I see how it goes here.
 
Messages
544
Location
Tennessee
I happened to notice that the product data sheets are now listed for both 10W30 and 15W40 Delo 600 ADF. (I will let someone else can provide a link for them here). 3.6 HT/HS & 4.4 HT/HS respectively. I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado, with the 2.8L Diesel engine by VM Motori. Manual calls for a Dexos2 5W30 motor oil (although in Australia, 5W40 is recommended for the same engine). I am thinking about switching to the 10W30 Delo 600 ADF (out of warranty), because it appears to be a MORE robust, LOW ash, alternative to the standard fare Dexos2 oils (Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 / Pennzoil Euro L 5W30). Would making that motor oil switch be an upgrade?
 
Messages
583
Location
Alaska and Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Best F100
I happened to notice that the product data sheets are now listed for both 10W30 and 15W40 Delo 600 ADF. (I will let someone else can provide a link for them here). 3.6 HT/HS & 4.4 HT/HS respectively. I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado, with the 2.8L Diesel engine by VM Motori. Manual calls for a Dexos2 5W30 motor oil (although in Australia, 5W40 is recommended for the same engine). I am thinking about switching to the 10W30 Delo 600 ADF (out of warranty), because it appears to be a MORE robust, LOW ash, alternative to the standard fare Dexos2 oils (Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 / Pennzoil Euro L 5W30). Would making that motor oil switch be an upgrade?
This revolutionary oil is really new. Speak with Chevron about its suitability in your application. If suitable, ask about an oil analyzer that has experience testing this oil in the real world, i.e. where to send your oil sample after a few thousand miles. Good luck. Please report back.
 
Last edited:
Messages
544
Location
Tennessee
My local Chevron distributor can get it (or has it), in drums or pails. That is too large a quantity for my personal usage. I would be willing to give Delo 600 ADF a try in the the 10W30 viscosity (if I could get it in gallon jugs). My vehicle is a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L diesel that calls for a 5W30 Dexos2 lubricant.
 

SavagePatch

Thread starter
Messages
855
Location
California
Originally Posted by Best F100
My local Chevron distributor can get it (or has it), in drums or pails. That is too large a quantity for my personal usage. I would be willing to give Delo 600 ADF a try in the the 10W30 viscosity (if I could get it in gallon jugs). My vehicle is a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L diesel that calls for a 5W30 Dexos2 lubricant.
+1 Me too. I'll be using it as soon as I find it in gallon jugs. I have a VM Motori 3.0L V6 in a RAM 1500 EcoDiesel.
 
Messages
128
Location
North Carolina, USA
Ok... Lets say someone has an Euro diesel engine that calls for an acea C3 oil. Now suppose that wanted a more "heavy duty" oil than a C3, but were afraid to use an api CJ-4 because of the higher sulfur content and thus shorten DPF life. Would this new CK-4 be some what of American version of the euro C3. A C3 on steroids if you will. Protection of a CJ-4 with the emissions systems protection of a C3?
 
Messages
4,090
Location
WA
Originally Posted by sohccammer427
Ok... Lets say someone has an Euro diesel engine that calls for an acea C3 oil. Now suppose that wanted a more "heavy duty" oil than a C3, but were afraid to use an api CJ-4 because of the higher sulfur content and thus shorten DPF life. Would this new CK-4 be some what of American version of the euro C3. A C3 on steroids if you will. Protection of a CJ-4 with the emissions systems protection of a C3?
Here's the spider's web from Lubrizol... I'm not well versed in how to interpret or compare, if one can, so glean from it what you will. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
 
Top