New CRV

What's the highest wear rate you've seen in a 3k OCI used oil analysis?
What's the highest dilution percentage you've seen?
I'm talking either the 2023 or 2024 model years with the 1.5 engine.

I've read so may UOAs concerning that engine. You should be fine running 5k OCIs. If worried, purchase one grade thicker oil (if allowed) and evaluate your engine with a UOA around 15k on the odometer.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2024 EX-L 12 days ago. What's the story on this? I drive about 4k mi/yr and plan on annual changes. What should I be looking for?

You should be looking for an odometer reading of around 15k. Then do both a VOA and UOA of your engine oil.
The reading on the UOA's fuel dilution percentage and accompanying metal wear numbers should be brought to this board's UOA / VOA board rooms for discussion then.

In the meantime, there are numerous 1.5 UOAs on that board to retrieve pertained information that interests you. You can draw comparisons of other member's UOAs and get an idea on what's taking place.

I just bought a 2024 EX-L 12 days ago. What's the story on this? I drive about 4k mi/yr and plan on annual changes. What should I be looking for?

Simply put, the thing to watch for is rising oil levels on the dipstick. The oil will inevitably have the gasoline smell common to DI engines. If you want to go further have a used oil analysis performed by a company like Oil Analyzers, Inc. that measure fuel dilution using gas chromotography. Blackstone Labs doesn’t, so don’t bother with them.

You are likely going to find considerable fuel dilution. This is not desirable but also not uncommon for TGDI engines with Hondas seemingly among the worst offenders. On the other hand there’s little evidence this engine is being harmed. Short trips exacerbate the problem. Most owners are blissfully unaware of what fuel dilution is and don’t worry.

If this is really a worry for you, and depending on your expected ownership period, you can change the oil more frequently, or buy a Honda extended warranty. A true Honda bumper to bumper warranty, 8year/100k warranty with a $100 deductible costs $900 from Hyannis Honda, can be purchased on line and is valid at any Honda dealer.

I'm bad about trading cars every year but I at least plan for this to be my last car. I'm in a small town and basically nothing but short trips. In 8 years I'd need a 36k warranty not a 100k warranty. I never got one but on my Escape prior to this I was looking at a 10 year 48k everything warranty. I'm curious but not worried. I'll look into OA, Inc. At this point I'm leaning to annual OCI with likely around 4k or a bit less miles.

Has anyone found an oil brand that the new CRVs won’t just chew up and spit out before 3k or even sooner?
Stick with 0W20 during the warranty period and change the oil every 6 months or 3k miles. M1 EP 0W20 is a great choice. I have a 2018 CRV and I was ignorant of the fuel dilution issue for the first couple of years. Did first oil change at 6200 miles, 2nd at 8k miles (lots of highway miles on that run), then learned and settled on 5k or less per OCI.

5w30 or 0w30 synthetic should do the trick :unsure:

Some people have also had better results filling up with premium rather than regular.

2.4 uses oil like crazy
What are you talking about? The new CRVs have 1.5 Turbo four cylinder engines. They have an issue with fuel dilution, but not one that actually causes a drivability issue, or even an engine durability issue. The 2.4 k series engine is one that lasts forever, even when abused, can work on practically any oil, are adequately torquey and powerful and do not dilute. If that is what you have, long Ocis are okay (not recommended) and do not chew and spit out oil in 3,000 miles. I’m not exactly sure what that means. If you have a new CRV, you should drive 5,000 mile intervals on 0w20 oil from a decent brand.

You’ll be fine on the oil change schedule planned. The oil in these cars sometimes gets diluted with some fuel, but longer trips, conservative oil change intervals and decent oil negate this issue. I have not heard of any drivability or longevity issues caused by the fuel dilution. These are excellent vehicles.

Sounds like short tripping use. I would do annual oil change services and enjoy your CR-V. They are great vehicles.
The Mity-Vac extractor works well on the 1.5, you could swap the filter every 2nd or 3rd service.

Yes, most things where I live are within 2 miles, 4 round trip and almost everything is less than 4 miles, so I'm nothing but short hops. I'll stick with my annual oil/filter plan and see how it goes.

Back