New 2023 Corolla and 0W-8 oil

All of this, viscosity and even oil type (Synthetic, Blend or Conventional) are recommendations. If you wish to use something other than the recommended oil, it's your car.

This guy has been doing so in his corolla for years. Conventional 5W-20/30. I'm sure his vehicle will provide many years of reliable service. Regardless of his conspiracy theories.

Oil does have dropout . So if the bottle ( not shaken ) had a drain plug on the bottom it would drain out . Then pour in some new oil to flush out some more . Comparable ? 🤷‍♂️ I favor shaken ( suspended particles ) .

Last edited:
So I just bought a gas 2023 Corolla with the 2.0 as a commuter. Toyota calls for 0W-8 oil for this. I’m fairly certain they made a change within the last month or so from 0W-16. I do my own oil changes and sourcing OW-8 seems about impossible. The manual does say you can use 0W-16 but it must be changed to 0W-8 at the next change. My wife has a camry that calls for 0W-16 and I would like to use the same oil in both. I’m aware of the car care nuts videos stating that these dynsmic farce engines need the oil grades Toyota calls for, and I believe there are threads here disparaging his claims.

I’m all about giving my vehicles the best protection. Does the Corolla really need this pathetic water oil, or is it just for CAFE standards and to get .1 better MPG? I doubt they would have made a mechanical change mid-year that would necessitate the lighter grade, or would they? Should I go even heavier for both vehicles at 0W-20? At least then I’d have way more options.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Toyota offers two years of free oil changes use them for the next two years and by then 0W8 should be on the shelves or buy 0W8 from Toyota.

LOL they tell you they are free but its a marketing gimmick!
So looking at the legal ease of it. You get two oil changes, and four tire rotations during the first two years of ownership. Comes standard on all vehicles Toyota sells free of charge. Scam no. Marketing gimmick yes. If I bought a Toyota would I take advantage of it heck yes.

So looking at the legal ease of it. You get two oil changes, and four tire rotations during the first two years of ownership. Comes standard on all vehicles Toyota sells free of charge. Scam no. Marketing gimmick yes. If I bought a Toyota would I take advantage of it heck yes.
Exactly and what I do and have done since Toyota care started in 2010 or before but that’s when I bought vehicles covered by it first. Never ever had an issue with the included services. When I was working the oilfield with my Tacoma I even brought in my own oil and had the dealer change it at 5k my cost and I continued with the complimentary service. They did a good job and didn’t screw with me for using 5w30. I did have a discussion once with a with my 2018 4 runner when I had the dealer put in m1 0w40. But they backed down when I pulled out the “maintenance” manual.

Exactly and what I do and have done since Toyota care started in 2010 or before but that’s when I bought vehicles covered by it first. Never ever had an issue with the included services. When I was working the oilfield with my Tacoma I even brought in my own oil and had the dealer change it at 5k my cost and I continued with the complimentary service. They did a good job and didn’t screw with me for using 5w30. I did have a discussion once with a with my 2018 4 runner when I had the dealer put in m1 0w40. But they backed down when I pulled out the “maintenance” manual.
Agreed. At least for my VW dealer there is no requirement to follow the recommendations in the owner’s manual. I asked for and got 504 00 oil instead of 508 00 for my free changes.

Back