New Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus

“Everything our consumers loved [about the DWS06], we made every category better,” said Bjoern Glaeser, UHP product engineer who headed up the project.

In tests, the DWS06 Plus showed almost a 10% improvement in wet braking and 11% improvement in snow traction from its predecessor, Glaeser reported. More than 4,000 tires were tested in dry, wet and snowy conditions over the last four years to achieve the desired performance characteristics, Glaeser said.

Continental-ExtremeContact-DWS06-Plus-side-view-1024x512.png

Don't make my size for my 2021 Audi Q3 with 255-40-20. Looks like I'll have to go with the Michelins AS3+ which I've had before on my 2017 Mazda GT hatchback. I put Michelins Pilot all season 4's on that and they don't make them in the Audi's size.

Nota bene:

"To promote dealer sell-out, the ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus is backed by a strong promotional and rebate lineup throughout the year, highlighted by rebates in June and November, Beierwaltes added."

I’ve got a set on the Alfa and am very happy with them. The stock Pirellis felt a little stiffer in corners, and they were runflats, but the softer ride the EC DWS 06 provides more than makes up for that. Highly likely I’ll be buying another set.

Definitely compound changes to keep up with Michelin AS 4.

...the differences between the DWS06 and the DWS06 Plus can be seen in the nuances of its tread design and compound. Glaeser said the tire has bigger, stronger tread blocks and full-depth 3-D sipes for enhanced snow grip. The thin rib on the tire’s tread has also been flipped to provide better dry handling on the outside of the tire...

They don't look too much different than the EC DWS on my Legacy
I've seen this with several tires that have been upgraded or labeled as "next gen" / II, 2 or 3...TOUR or PLUS

e.g., Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS II...as compares to just the "PLUS"
or, P4 All Season PLUS...as compared to non "PLUS"
or Continental Truecontact TOUR ...as compared to the non "TOUR"
or Firestone Destination LE 3 ...compared to the LE 2
or Good/Year Assurance Comfortred TOUR as compared to the non TOUR

^^^I had a set of 1st gen Assurance Comfortred(non TOUR). When it was upgraded to the "TOUR" these now had Inside/Outside markings on the side walls even though these were non asymmetric nor directional tread. It was because the outside(ONLY) side wall is stiffer. Maybe tread compound too, IDK!

And there are others as well. You be hard pressed to see the difference w/o looking at them in a side-by-side comparison. And some tires that I've looked at, I couldn't see any difference in the tread at all which means that the difference is in the rubber compound, sidewall stiffness or other factors that we can't see.

Last edited:
Now that you mention them I'm going to have to flip a coin on whether to use the Cinturatos or DWS. Probably the Cinturatos, because it's fun to say!

I *really* wanted to like the DWS06 ... bought some earlier in 2020... but they “sing” at a particular pitch on the hwy that cut straight through my car’s interior like a dental drill. It was the weirdest thing. swapped them for a “noisier” bridgestone and the cabin is easier to live in at 70. LOVE the stickier rubber on these though.

m

I have the first gen of these tires on my 2006 Range Rover Sport bought back in Nov. I've Put 1,500 miles on them. I like them a lot and the ride is really nice. They perform well in the wet and what little snow we've had. This is the first new set of continentals I've bought.

these are on my short list for the elantra, along with the general gs-05 and a few others.
I wouldnt mind a relatively soft UHP tire on that car.. or a fairly stiff grand touring

The gs-05 are 135$ off at DTD next 2 days. might make me bite.. they are also economically priced compared to some other offerings.

The oem tires are dare I say it.. almost dangerous in their bad handling.

the grooved pavement drags the car back and forth horribly and crosswinds will almost push you out of your lane.
Neither of which happen with the winter tires.. so the oem tires are on the fast track to replacement

yes you heard that right the standard touring conti viking contact 7's handle MUCH better than the oem turds.

I once rode in a friend's Subaru Outback with a set of these. We were driving in rather deep snow and my friend drove with confidence. Those Conti DWS's performed unbelievably well in the snow.

But... I have the Conti DW's (summer performance tire) on my beemer. I hate them. They wore badly, ride rough and now make a terrible racket.

Back