New computer build i7-6700k, samsung 950pro etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 5+ year old sandybridge i5-2500k rig was getting pretty flaky.. Sometimes took 2-3x to post successfully. Recently it started locking up on windows lockscreen randomly.

I knew at the least it needed a format C: party and fresh windows.. since it had other issues I decided to "upgrade".

I reused many parts such as:
Corsair 650D case
corsair ax650 Corsair AX650 Power supply

Dvd Drive,
HDDs
1TB,
2x2TB(to be replaced soon)
INTEL 730 series 240GB-Former boot drive now Gaming drive.
Corsair H100 Cpu Cooler
Enermax Magma Case Fans.
EVGA Geforce 970 SC+ edition @1400mhz

New Parts + what it replaced

Microcenter FTW.

Old>>>NEW
Processor
Intel I5 [email protected] >>> Intel [email protected]
Motherboard
asus p8z68-V LX >>> Asus Maximus VIII Hero

Boot drive
Intel 730 240GB>>> Samsung 950pro 256GB NVME m.2

Ram
16GB Crucial ddr3 1600 >>> 16GB Crucial Ballistix ddr4 2400

So far so good. I was going to hold off another year or so but the flaking motherboard it was a good time.

Boot drive speed comparison.
OLD VS NEW

Was pretty painless except for doing it after working for 12hours + 2 hours of driving for parts.
Needed an eyeglass screw sized phillips for the M.2 drive.
Had some gelid extreme compound already so that was fine.
Was missing 3 standoffs for the motherboard screws
(new board has 9 old had 6)
I tore down a junker computer and snagged 3 after 30min wasted looking for the box of case extras I had 5 years ago.

The auto overclock features are terrible until you disable all the overclocking unfriendly settings. I just manually set it up in about 2min.. I'll tweak it after a week or so. Temps are under 60C maxxed out in prime 95 X8 threads.

Good job! I wish I had a Microcenter near me because they do have some good deals. Better than Amazon and NewEgg for combination motherboards/processors.

My son is wanting me to build one for him with the latest core I7, but I am not going to overclock it, so we will buy the non-K variety. Just waiting to the 19th of this month to put the order together because that's the day the Nvidia 1060 will be officially available for sale. The 1060 is supposed to be better than the current standard Nvidia 980, so no use to buy the old stuff.

I really need a new boot drive and gaming drive. I'm using a HDD from 2008 when I bought my last Dell. I'm surprised it's working still. How do you like the Skylake CPU? I was going to build a Skylake last Christmas but I didn't have the extra. Nothing wrong with my i5 4690k
wink.gif

Those M2 drives are sweet. Have one in my ROG gaming laptop for the "business" trips. Home computer has the 1GB SSD Samsung pro, i7 4790k, 32 GB ram and ASUS 980 Ti.
Both are darn quick.

Yes, those M2 drives are the neatest thing I have seen on a computer in quite a while.

We put a 500gb one in a dell laptop the other day, it is really neat.

My next desktop build will have a motherboard with a m2 slot.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Yes, those M2 drives are the neatest thing I have seen on a computer in quite a while.

We put a 500gb one in a dell laptop the other day, it is really neat.

My next desktop build will have a motherboard with a m2 slot.

Many of the M.2 drives are just sata drives "repackaged".
few support NVME fully for 4x pci-e lanes.

The form factor is quite compact and nice there is actually 4? drive sizes for m.2 they refer to length in mm.. mine is 80mm IIRC.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
I really need a new boot drive and gaming drive. I'm using a HDD from 2008 when I bought my last Dell. I'm surprised it's working still. How do you like the Skylake CPU? I was going to build a Skylake last Christmas but I didn't have the extra. Nothing wrong with my i5 4690k
wink.gif

Yea your haswell is quite abit newer than my sandybridge

Any ssd is massively better than any HDD for boot.

I'd suggest a 250gb sized regular samsung 850 evo is currently the best value.

If you play games with alot of loading maybe a cheapo 480GB sized ssd.. otherwise a decent WD Black or Blue series HDD is ok for a steam/game drive.

If you are looking for a budget ssd boot drive the new AMD radeon series SSD drives are very good as well and priced excellently.
I have a few 120GB drives in use in Various PC and they just work.

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Radeon-2-5-Inch-Toshiba-RADEON-R7SSD-240G/dp/B00MVIF70W

I picked up my 120GB sized for 37$ the prices in that amazon link are terrible.

I was going to go i7-6800k
but they had no Boards in stock with a new enough bios to post with a i7-6800k
you have to flash the bios with a Haswell-E so it will work with a broadwell-E based processor.

I almost went i5-6600k but I decided to go all out abit more than my last build with the
ASUS ROG series motherboard and I7 + samsung 950pro.

Could have definitely went i5-6600k(-$110)+ cheaper motherboard(-$80) and no Crazy NVME M.2 Drive.
and been happy.
But I wanted a significant upgrade and honestly
even though skylake is 4 generations newer
a [email protected] vs an [email protected] is not much of an upgrade. I like to see at least 50% increase in speed.
Although in skylake's defense sandybridge based processors(2nd gen) were quite a leap over 1st gen I-series.

The speed of my budget 120GB sized amd radeon ssd (usually smaller ssd are slower than larger)
amdonsata3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back