New Compaq Presario "HELP"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if I have a bad stick of memory as I have 2 sticks & one is 256mb. I am in the system setup where it is showing only 128mb of ram.
------------------
Update: The laptop came with 2 256mb sticks of ram..but in the setup it shows 128mb of ram total.
I went in & switched the sticks running them separately & the setup shows each stick of ram at 128mb not the 256mb that they are...I am puzzled & know why the laptop was so cheap!???

Last edited:
I took the DVD/CD Rom drive from My dell & installed it in the Compaq and it worked....Windows is installing as I speak!! Who would of thought all the errors were caused by a defective rom drive...Heres hoping everything else goes smoothly!

Everyone: ThankYou for Your help!!!!!

Originally Posted By: freeze12
I wonder if I have a bad stick of memory as I have 2 sticks & one is 256mb. I am in the system setup where it is showing only 128mb of ram.
------------------
Update: The laptop came with 2 256mb sticks of ram..but in the setup it shows 128mb of ram total.
I went in & switched the sticks running them separately & the setup shows each stick of ram at 128mb not the 256mb that they are...I am puzzled & know why the laptop was so cheap!???

The sticks are probably high-density and the laptop only supports low-density sticks, so you end up seeing half the capacity. This was a VERY common issue with older desktop boards.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: freeze12
------------------

The sticks are probably high-density and the laptop only supports low-density sticks, so you end up seeing half the capacity. This was a VERY common issue with older desktop boards.

Thanks for the info. as it was driving Me nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back