New car still has vibration

After visiting Mercedes Benz dealership last time for body trim repair for loose and vibration at 60-67 mph. They did the tires balance for tires and told me car is better than before and told me to drive the car for while due to tires can develop flat spots from sitting in one spot for too long and the only way to smooth them out is to drive it (Service advisor) said that to me. I drove the car 50 miles astill has vibration at that speed.

any advice? Sick of going back and forth to the dealership for car that’s completely new.

2020 Mercedes glb 250 4 matic (289 miles)

Vibration. Do you think it could be a faulty bearing maybe? That does happen sometimes. So if I understand it only does this when you get to 60mph and not before correct?

It's true that flat spotting can cause vibration but that usually goes away after some driving. Constant vibration may be from a defective tire (or two). Ask to speak to the service manager and politely but firmly tell him/her you didn't buy a new Benz only to have a jittery driving experience and that you don't want the car back until the issue is fixed. A Benz dealer especially should be bending over backwards to make their clients happy.

Last edited:
Anytime you have a distinct start and stop speed for the vibration it is almost always a tire out of balance. I'd give the dealer one more chance to fix it before escalating to the manufacturer.

I had something simular on my truck. At about the same speeds I would get a vibration that was not bad enough that I did anything about it. When I replaced my tires it was resolved. Tires/balance plus was out of alignment, not sure which fixed it but I think it was the alignment.

Flat spots would resolve after the tires were warmed up, does not take long. Dealership should be able to take care of it. Don't accept the BS from the Service Advisor.

Have them swap your wheels and tires to a new car the same model. Take that for a 30 minute drive. If it's your tires, the vibration should follow the tires to the vehicle installed on. If not, then it's something mechanical with your car.

Isolation here. If the tires are suspect, either different wheels and tires on your vehicle, or put yours on another for a test.

Should narrow down the source of the vibration pretty quickly.

Maybe also go for a ride with the service advisor to you agree on what is the vibration.

After visiting Mercedes Benz dealership last time for body trim repair for loose and vibration at 60-67 mph. They did the tires balance for tires and told me car is better than before and told me to drive the car for while due to tires can develop flat spots from sitting in one spot for too long and the only way to smooth them out is to drive it (Service advisor) said that to me. I drove the car 50 miles astill has vibration at that speed.

any advice? Sick of going back and forth to the dealership for car that’s completely new.

2020 Mercedes glb 250 4 matic (289 miles)

I would:

Road Force (the tech needs to know what he is doing here)

Install the wheels by torquing the bolts in a star pattern first to 15ft-lbs to seat them, then to spec.

If the vibration still persists, I would try a different set of wheels and tires.

If it still persists, I would look at the lower control arms.

I would:

Road Force (the tech needs to know what he is doing here)

Install the wheels by torquing the bolts in a star pattern first to 15ft-lbs to seat them, then to spec.

If the vibration still persists, I would try a different set of wheels and tires.

If it still persists, I would look at the lower control arms.
I had the same problem with my truck when I bought it new. Ford tried balancing, road force, switching them around, etc. They finally had to replace 2 at first for separation. All 4 tires were replaced twice.

You really need to some miles on them, you only have 289 TOTAL miles. New cars can sit on the lot for months without moving. If they did the PDI when it arrived at the dealer (very likely during COVID) then it sat with the tires at recommended pressures for months, will flat spot for sure. When the vehicles arrive from the manufacturer, tires are normally at 50 PSI or so to prevent flat spots. Only way to get rid of flat spots is to drive at highway speeds and get them hot. What we normally did at Acura was to air down the tires to 20 PSI, and drive them at highway speed for 30-40 km, then pull right into our bay and inflate to recommended pressures +3 PSI. Usually fixed it. If that did not fix it, we would replace the tires.

Can try getting the tires hot yourself, like mentioned above, or very aggressive driving (hard accel, braking and on/off ramps). Maybe ask when the PDI was done, right before delivery (and not just a PDI “recheck”), or months before purchase. If it was months before, the flat spots may never come out, I would want a new set of tires installed. The dealer will resist because that will come out of their own pocket, as warranty wont pay for it, as PDI should really be done right before delivery to the customer.

Last edited:
Sure seems like a lot of new tires are doing this. From top end cars to low end trucks. Had a 2014 Chevy Silverado, it vibrated 50-60MPH. Ended up changing 2 tires out. Have the tire manufactures changed something???

Sure seems like a lot of new tires are doing this. From top end cars to low end trucks. Had a 2014 Chevy Silverado, it vibrated 50-60MPH. Ended up changing 2 tires out. Have the tire manufactures changed something???

Just dealers being lazy/greedy on when they do their PDI. Some dealers will do it right when the car arrives so they get paid by the manufacturer to do it, but then the car sits there for months (or even years) with the tires at normal pressure instead of the 50 PSI the get shipped with. Same thing goes for the batteries. At PDI, the full vehicle electronics are turned on by various means, so the battery will go dead if it sits for months like that. Gets boosted, runs long enough to move it, goes dead again, gets boosted again etc etc etc until car is delivered. Battery is half dead when the customer finally picks it up.

My own dealer has stopped doing the PDI early and only doing it right before customer delivery when I had an M5 about to be delivered and the battery and tires required replacement due to the above. The battery is Lithium and cost $2000, and the tires were nearly $4000. Manufacturer would not cover it as they said it was our own negligence, which it was.

Thanks you for your replies. My question is do I need to go for long drive until I reach 1k miles. Because I’m planning for it for break-in. I bought this car from out of state from Kansas mercede Benz. But I’m located at Memphis, TN. I don’t know how can I make the dealership change the tire if I bought it from out of state.
For update on mileage: 400 miles.

From what I have read, low profile tires are worse for flat spotting than the taller sidewalls of many years ago.

I always drive for at least 500 miles on new tires conservatively with some stop and go then take a drive on interstate with cruise set for about 50 miles. Not always possible. Problem with new cars is the test drive can be brutal on new tires causing belt slippage. One thing you can do is look at tire date as this will tell you about how long it sat therefore you will probably need to road force to get it corrected. At dealership I worked at I would spin tire on rim with road force balance and if still not right then manufacture was notified. Be surprised how many times it was declined as it was not warranted. One thing you can have done is rotation to see if it moves.

The GLB is the new fwd Mercedes-Benz suv correct? I wonder if it being a new model there is an issue with them that Mercedes hasn’t addressed yet regarding the vibration.

@ tiger862 I haven’t drove hard due to car need a break in so I’m driving in the city and some hwy to my house. I need to take off and take it on the hwy until reach at 1k miles.

@stower17 mine is 4matic

I have 19” amg wheels tire size 235/50/19
Front psi 40 cold
Rear psi 41 cold

Anytime you have a distinct start and stop speed for the vibration it is almost always a tire out of balance. I'd give the dealer one more chance to fix it before escalating to the manufacturer.

How I can or ask to escalate to the manufacture?

Back