Technician test driving for issues

That too. First one drives it but isn't sure. So another more versed in NVH issues takes it out. And then again after a 'fix' has been applied.
I know in this case it was a speed-dependent vibration, but I've had a car leave with a tech in the trunk trying to chase a rattle before.

I also recall one customer with a random stalling issue. Every time we "fixed" it, it came back. It was so intermittent, we asked for cust. authorization to just let the head tech drive it to and from work. Day 3 he experiences the stalling and fixed it. Loose something or other.

The absolute best was one day when I was at Acura. First job of the morning, customer wanted to ā€œtalk to the techā€ before handing over the keys. I go outside, customer hands me the key to his base model TLX, with a big smile on his face and says ā€œhave fun driving itā€. I pointed to my sisters V10 R8 that I had at work that day to do a few little things and said ā€œnah, Iā€™m goodā€. The shocked look on his face was priceless.

The service advisor call me about the vibration Issue and he said they did the tire balance after that he ā€œThinkā€ problem was solved then he said tire need to be break-in because car is new. Told me to drive the car and come back if is not solve. I will found out when I go pick it up tomorrow after 3:30.

I don't know. Here in South, FL, it's 3 miles from the Merc dealer to the interstate and each exit is a few miles apart. If one were to go 3 exits and return, that would easily reach 30 miles.

When my Mustang GT was new, I had to take it to the dealer to get some paint issues fixed and since they didn't have their own body shop, they contracted it out. I checked the mileage when I dropped it off at the body shop and checked it again when I picked the car up at the dealership and it had 12 unexplained miles on it over the 4 miles it was from the body shop to the dealer.

I'm sure they took it for a joy ride since there was no reason to be test driving the car beyond the 4 miles between the two places. I was a little concerned since the dealer was pissed at me for giving them a bad review and I always wondered if they took it out on the car. Nothing was broke so if they did joy ride it, it wasn't damaged.

Get over it. 29 miles? OK, you get the next 200,000!
You don't even know the Mercedes procedure for this issue, and you are complaining. There may be a "Driving cycle" that the tech needs to complete, you don't know.
First, he had to make sure the tires were warm and not flat spotted, that takes some time.
You just don't know what you don't know (sorry Dr. Phil)

Update: pick up the car yesterday and it better than before but still has little vibration. Anyway Iā€™m going to drive it for a little while before I take it in again.

I didnā€™t need my Mini over the summer so I let my shop keep it for a few weeks to nail down an issue. The techs put more than 29 miles on it but they also fixed the issue permanently.

The absolute best was one day when I was at Acura. First job of the morning, customer wanted to ā€œtalk to the techā€ before handing over the keys. I go outside, customer hands me the key to his base model TLX, with a big smile on his face and says ā€œhave fun driving itā€. I pointed to my sisters V10 R8 that I had at work that day to do a few little things and said ā€œnah, Iā€™m goodā€. The shocked look on his face was priceless.

That reminds me of when I got a loaner while my 2014 Mustang was in service for the input shaft seal leaking. The lady from Enterprise was all excited to give me their 2014 red V6 automatic Mustang convertible. I had a šŸ˜ look and pointed to mine on the lift. It wasn't a bad car, just not a Track Pack GT.

Also generally if our techs need to take the car on a longer test drive the writer will call the customer and tell them/ask permission. Sometimes we have techs drive the car to their house 30+ miles away for the night to recreate noises for people or if monitors need to be set.

You had a higher-speed/highway concern - of course they drove it some miles to replicate/ensure it was fixed. Not a concern to me and shouldn't be to you. It isn't like they tried to hide it.

Back