New car price & MSRP

My address is a small town...where everybody knows everybody and you can't turn around without the whole town knowing about it....
Anyway, the local lumberyard/hardware store owner (total of three store employees, including himself) purchased a 2018 Chevy half ton pickup for his store usage through Carvana. The truck had 33K miles on it and was (for some reason) delivered about 45 minutes away from where he lives. He took his mechanic buddy along with him to check it out. The previous truck owner obviously knew something was wrong because the mechanic buddy immediately said the transmission "didn't feel right". The mechanic drove it back to the hardware store and told the store owner that he needs to get his money back from Carvana. (Hardware store owner told me Carvana gave him a 7-day trial period to return vehicle) He called Carvana and told them that he wanted his money back because the truck had transmission issues and Carvana said there was no problem with that. So the mechanic drove it back to the original address where the truck was delivered and by the time he got to the parking lot, the truck would only crawl in first gear and the smell of burnt oil was obvious. (Spare me the "low on oil replies". I don't know and I didn't participate in this)
This isn't a GM bash. Any vehicle, especially an unknown used vehicle, could have transmission problems. The irony to all this is that Carvana relisted the exact same truck on their site for $35K ($2K higher than the previous sale) BEFORE they took re-possession of this truck and mentioned nothing about it having transmission problems. So they obviously are going to get this transmission fixed and resell it and the increased price of the truck reflects the fact that used vehicle prices are still rising.

Reactions: Y_K
You’re correct. Dodge tried with the Demon, saying dealers charging over MSRP would be moved to the back of the line, the more over MSRP the further back of the line your car was. It still didn’t stop dealers from getting very creative with ways to mark up the cars without actually marking up the cars.
The articles still say they're at it and no mention of them not being able to do it. Maybe something to do with EV allocation not being the same?

Even though prices on new cars are shooting to the moon, many buyers are sticking with the more expensive rides rather than scaling back to a lower quality ride. Apparently enough buyers have the funds to keep that average price on the rise.

Spoke to the guys I know at one of the Chevy dealers near me. He's looking for sales so he reached out. He said he had a customer buy a 21 Suburban last February then traded it in November for an Audi. He just sold that and got a tad more than he paid and ordered a Traverse LOL.

My address is a small town...where everybody knows everybody and you can't turn around without the whole town knowing about it....
Anyway, the local lumberyard/hardware store owner (total of three store employees, including himself) purchased a 2018 Chevy half ton pickup for his store usage through Carvana. The truck had 33K miles on it and was (for some reason) delivered about 45 minutes away from where he lives. He took his mechanic buddy along with him to check it out. The previous truck owner obviously knew something was wrong because the mechanic buddy immediately said the transmission "didn't feel right". The mechanic drove it back to the hardware store and told the store owner that he needs to get his money back from Carvana. (Hardware store owner told me Carvana gave him a 7-day trial period to return vehicle) He called Carvana and told them that he wanted his money back because the truck had transmission issues and Carvana said there was no problem with that. So the mechanic drove it back to the original address where the truck was delivered and by the time he got to the parking lot, the truck would only crawl in first gear and the smell of burnt oil was obvious. (Spare me the "low on oil replies". I don't know and I didn't participate in this)
This isn't a GM bash. Any vehicle, especially an unknown used vehicle, could have transmission problems. The irony to all this is that Carvana relisted the exact same truck on their site for $35K ($2K higher than the previous sale) BEFORE they took re-possession of this truck and mentioned nothing about it having transmission problems. So they obviously are going to get this transmission fixed and resell it and the increased price of the truck reflects the fact that used vehicle prices are still rising.
There have been some that have had vehicles delivered by Carvana with issues. And I haven't read one report that stated Carvana didn't refund their money or offered to fix the vehicle. The truck by the information you provided might had some factory warranty left.

And yes-it's a seller's market right now.

Back