New car price & MSRP

It would be interesting to know how many guys who put in Ford Lightning reservations and going to turn around and flip that truck. So it works both ways...doesn't it?
They won't be able to do that...Ford is requiring Lightning purchasers to sign a contract that states they will not sell the truck until after one year of ownership.

They won't be able to do that...Ford is requiring Lightning purchasers to sign a contract that states they will not sell the truck until after one year of ownership.
OK-so I don't know of any state DMV that notifies an auto dealer or manufacturer when the title is changed from one person to the next. This is going to have as much bite behind it as Ford/GM, etc., trying to get their dealers not to charge above MSRP.

Purchaser hereby agrees that it will not sell, offer to sell, or otherwise transfer any ownership interest in the vehicle prior to the first anniversary of the date hereof,” the provision reads. “Purchaser further agrees that seller may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of the title of the vehicle or demand payment from purchaser of all value received as consideration for the sale or transfer.”

Where does it say the "Title Police" will be enforcing this? Do they have someone scanning the private message apps on all automotive and Ford forums? You get what I'm saying?

i would think that insurance prices will increase dramatically , just bought a new vehicle last feb ,it was the last of the heavy incentives , plus 3500 in gm card points
if somehow that would get totalled out , current replacement is probly up 25 to 30 % more than what i paid for it
only a guess
like i tell everybody , now is not the time to by anything but nesesities

Purchaser hereby agrees that it will not sell, offer to sell, or otherwise transfer any ownership interest in the vehicle prior to the first anniversary of the date hereof,” the provision reads. “Purchaser further agrees that seller may seek injunctive relief to prevent the transfer of the title of the vehicle or demand payment from purchaser of all value received as consideration for the sale or transfer.”

Where does it say the "Title Police" will be enforcing this? Do they have someone scanning the private message apps on all automotive and Ford forums? You get what I'm saying?
I never said it did...I posted about it and you asked your question so I thought I would post the link to the article for you to get all the information it contained. I couldn't care less about all of this, I was just having a conversation.

I really am enjoying not owing a penny to anyone for anything.
I'm enjoying that too with the exception of about an $1100. hospital bill from December 2021. I know what the hospital is claiming I owe but I'm waiting till I get an explanation of benefits from the insurance company to see whether their numbers agree with the hospitals. Once I know everyone is on the same page as to what I owe I'll pay it off and be debt free again. I think the last time I had a car payment was when I bought a new truck in 1984 and have had no house payment since about 1991 or 1992 Every car since then whether new or used has been paid for with cash. When we moved from NC to KY in 2010 we bought a double wide on approximately an acre lot, it was also paid for with cash even though our previous home wasn't sold. I could afford nicer cars/house but I don't like overextending my credit. I'd much rather live below my mean than try to live above them and lose everything.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying that too with the exception of about an $1100. hospital bill from December 2021. I know what the hospital is claiming I owe but I'm waiting till I get an explanation of benefits from the insurance company to see whether their numbers agree with the hospitals. Once I know everyone is on the same page as to what I owe I'll pay it off and be debt free again. I think the last time I had a car payment was when I bought a new truck in 1984. Every car since then whether new or used has been paid for with cash.
I'm not that good. I gave up a $42k car loan a few months ago and sold the car :ROFLMAO:

recently i've witnessed a woman bought '22 4Runner, probably fully loaded for $60K OTD; with the interest charges of ~5% and her loan time frame about 72 to 84 months she will be ending up paying $80K over the life of the loan on the vehicle that is roughly 10 years in the production; nuts!

Its a Toyota so she will still be driving it in 20 years. 👍

It's short term though and this bubble will probably pop just like other bubbles. Ford and GM are already warning dealers not to go over MSRP as that can damage future business. They're also cutting car allocations to dealers that go over MSRP. This market probably has about another year to go or more though. They say chip shortages are starting to ease but might take a year to clear. Once that happens, MSRP will go down and car prices will come down.
The auto manufacturers can't do that per FTC rules. They can't dictate what dealers sell their vehicles for (above or below MSRP) and they can't punish dealers for doing it by withholding product. This is in-reality price fixing and not allowed, by law. The "S" in MSRP stands for "suggested". The dealer pricing issue was addressed and resolved by the FTC over 40 years ago because of Toyota and Honda dealers consistently charging over MSRP at the time (due to the fact that they had up to 6 month waiting lists for many of the cars). Supply simply couldn't keep up with demand. This went on for several years, from about 1976 through at least 1982.
In 1976 I was working for a Honda dealer when the Accord first came out. It almost immediately developed a 6 month waiting list. The MSRP at the time was $3995 and the dealer was charging $500 over MSRP. That would be like paying $45k for a $40k MSRP vehicle today, a pretty substantial markup.

Last edited:
I'm not that good. I gave up a $42k car loan a few months ago and sold the car :ROFLMAO:
I learned a big lesson in 2000 when I got injured and had to go on disability. I had to fight for my disability for 5 years before finally getting it approved. If I'd have been like most people living paycheck to paycheck I'd have lost everything I owned up to that point. At the time we had two school age children and they were kept clothed and food in the stomachs. It might not have always been exactly what they wanted to wear/eat but they were clothed decent/clean and there was always plenty of food on the table.

recently i've witnessed a woman bought '22 4Runner, probably fully loaded for $60K OTD; with the interest charges of ~5% and her loan time frame about 72 to 84 months she will be ending up paying $80K over the life of the loan on the vehicle that is roughly 10 years in the production; nuts!

She's paying 5% interest when inflation is running 7%+. That is winning.

just saying

Car makers have limited production so if they can make the loaded more expensive/profitable trim level of vehicle they do over the less expensive less expensive trims.

Its a Toyota so she will still be driving it in 20 years. 👍
Oh please; first of it is a gas guzzler, it’s a 10 years in the making, and in any normal market after 1 year of regular use on the roads, the car would costs $40k on the used market while she still owes nearly $40k more; Just nuts!

meanwhile everyone has profited along the way but the woman

Just saying

The auto manufacturers can't do that per FTC rules. They can't dictate what dealers sell their vehicles for (above or below MSRP) and they can't punish dealers for doing it by withholding product. This is in-effect price fixing and not allowed. The "S" in MSRP stands for "suggested". The dealer pricing issue was addressed and resolved by the FTC over 40 years ago because of Toyota and Honda dealers consistently charging over MSRP at the time (due to the fact that they had up to 6 month waiting lists for many of the cars). Supply simply couldn't keep up with demand. This went on for several years, from about 1976 through at least 1982.
In 1976 I was working for a Honda dealer when the Accord first came out. It almost immediately developed a 6 month waiting list. The MSRP at the time was $3995 and the dealer was charging $500 over MSRP. That would be like paying $45k for a $40k vehicle today, a pretty substantial markup.
I wonder how they're getting around it then. This was from an article in the Wall Street Journal, sorry it's behind a paywall, I just pay the $48 a year they demand for their intro offer.

I wonder how they're getting around it then. This was from an article in the Wall Street Journal, sorry it's behind a paywall, I just pay the $48 a year they demand for their intro offer.

The big manufacturers can say what they want. They can't do this, by law. This is mostly a PR ploy, to get free publicity, and try to fool the public into believing that the manufacturers are looking out for their interests. The industry, the ENTIRE industry, is tickled to death about the windfall profits they are earning from this situation. The dealers are absolutely ROLLING in money. The big multi-billion dollar dealer groups will spend whatever they have to to keep the product rolling in. They can keep the manufacturers tied-up in court for years on this and the manufacturers know it.

The big manufacturers can say what they want. They can't do this, by law. This is mostly a PR ploy, to get free publicity, and try to fool the public into believing that the manufacturers are looking out for their interests. The industry, the ENTIRE industry, is tickled to death about the windfall profits they are earning from this situation. The dealers are absolutely ROLLING in money. The big multi-billion dollar dealer groups will spend whatever they have to to keep the product rolling in. They can keep the manufacturers tied-up in court for years on this and the manufacturers know it.
You’re correct. Dodge tried with the Demon, saying dealers charging over MSRP would be moved to the back of the line, the more over MSRP the further back of the line your car was. It still didn’t stop dealers from getting very creative with ways to mark up the cars without actually marking up the cars.

Reactions: Y_K
On the news this evening: average price of a new vehicle is now $47k. Last month 82% of new cars sold over MSRP. Both are higher than I would have guessed.
Order a vehicle and get a discount and even additional rebates.

Try to buy one off the lot and the lack of supply means you will pay a premium.

A 2018 F150 with a $50,000 MSRP could be bought for over a $10,000 discount includong rebates and PCO's new 4 years ago. Now with low mileage (20,000 mi or so) they are going for $48,000 used.

Order a new one and you are about $4,000 under MSRP including a $1,0000 Rebate and $1,000 Private Customer Rebate. Buy one new off the lot and you are going to pay a hefty premium.

Lease returns are walking away with thousands by just selling them to the dealer. Go through someone like Carvana and it's not unusual to get offers of 20% or more over the residual.

People with high demand models like Broncos on order are making 20% Profit just by selling then to the dealer when they arrive.

We are seeing the Law of Supply & Demand along with a society unused to being told they have to wait for anything play out in real time. They will learn to order and wait or pay the scalpers premium for instant gratification.

The ones I feel sorry for are the ones who have a vehicle loss and are forced to swim with the sharks. The insurance companies will step up if forced to but how many people take the first offer not understanding what the current market is like.

Last edited:
On the news this evening: average price of a new vehicle is now $47k. Last month 82% of new cars sold over MSRP. Both are higher than I would have guessed.

The typical transaction price on a Ford F150 was over $50,000 5 years ago.

A new Corvette base MSRP is $60,000 but most buyers are taking the 3LT trim which means typically $80,000 before any kind of buyers premium.

We talk about that all the time. Vehicles cost to much. Consumer response, buy a higher trim level.

Back