New car filter is really small

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a filter for our car. Boy this thing is the smallest car filter that I have ever seen. The guy at NAPA said that it would also fit a Briggs and Stratton engine! The car is an Infiniti G35. I guess my only option is to buy the best filter and oil I can find. I am really concerned that the filter isn't large enough. Any suggestions?

Lots of folks here will say OK to use the small boy. And to some extent I agree, I mean who am I to disagree with the original engine engineers
dunno.gif
?

OTOH, personally I would seek by very careful specification comparison the LARGEST filter that fits!

[ May 01, 2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

I have chopped open a bunch of filters, and taken the filter media apart and measured it. Filters the same on the outside, varied by a factor of more than 3 on the inside. I have seen a Miata filter that wasn't half the size of a Fram, that had more filter area than it. Your filter could be carefully built with generous amounts of a quality media. If the outside is small enough, the extra capacity will not hurt the lawn mower.

I have been here long enough to be promoted to a regular member. Don't know exactly that means. The more time I spend here, the more I think that maybe even the maligned Frams may be more than we need.
biggthumbcoffe.gif
dunno.gif

Frams are overly slammed. But, I still won't use them--too expensive compared to proline, supertech, castrol, stp.....

What is the filter PN for that G35? If it is the same as other Nissans(most likely), there are other sizes that can be used.

offtopic.gif
I just had this flashback to the recent Budweiser commercial they've been playing here lately (esp during NASCAR races)- I can see the girl in the oversize sweatshirt saying "Small ones are ok, but huge filters just feel better".
grin.gif

If you didn't see the commercial, sorry you might not get it.

One other possibility... The filter conversion number in the computer or catalogue is wrong.. I had this happen to my sons 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. I removed the original filter and noted the size.. when to several auto parts stores, Napa, O'Reilly's, Autozone.. each one cross referenced to a much smaller filter number.. said no way, did some more research and found it was the somewhat common NAPA 1334/Wix 51334 which I also use on my Hyundai... It was the same size as the Subaru OEM....

So, you might want to recheck, especially since the G35 is a new model....

PS: Beautiful automobile, my wife wants one..or the new Maxima...

the best way to check is get the part number from the dealer and then cross reference it in a website of fram, or even wix's site. then you will hopefully get the right one. i had to do this to my moms 99 villager.

Its an Nissan-Look up the filter for the 2000 Maxima. That should work. Its the K&N-HP-110, Mobil 1 1-110. All later model Nissans take the small filter and the large one. They specify the small one many times. Don't have a clue why as it has the same bypass pressure. I use the K&N in my Nissan Sentra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back